Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon Rebel

Canon Rebel

Bob Burns

I'm considering a Canon Digital Rebel body with the Canon 24-70 mm f2.8
lense. My theory is to put my money into the lens rather than the body.
BTW, I'm moving from a Minolta SLR film camera and a pocket digital camera.
Any comments from the more experienced users?

TIA!.

--
Bob Burns
Mill Hall PA

Fyimo

You are right in buying good lens is where you want to spend you money.
I've never owned the 24-70mm f2.8 but did own the earlier Canon 28-70mm
f2.8 and it was a great lens. I've owned several of the Canon 50mm f1.8
version 1 lens as I seemed to buy them and then later sell them because
I wasn't using them. All of the ones I owned were good but I found the
28-70mm f2.8 to be as good and offered me the ability to crop in the
camera.

If you like to shoot wide angle shots the 24mm end of the 24-70mm will
be lacking because with the crop factor the lens is the equivalent of a
38-112mm lens. I bought the 17-40mm f4 and it's a great lens.The
70-200mm f4 L lens is a great lens optically and is lighter then it's
big brother the f2.8 version.

I can also tell you that image stabalization really works so as you
build your lens kit I would look for it in the lens that will meet your
focal length needs. It really does make a difference especailly on the
longer lens. I love my 70-200mm f4 but would trade up just to get the
IS version in f2.8. I would do it not for the extra light available at
f2.8 but for the IS.

Art

David J Taylor

Bob Burns wrote:
> I'm considering a Canon Digital Rebel body with the Canon 24-70 mm
> f2.8 lense. My theory is to put my money into the lens rather than
> the body. BTW, I'm moving from a Minolta SLR film camera and a pocket
> digital camera. Any comments from the more experienced users?

If you have a substantial investment in Minolta lenses, why not get a
Minolta DSLR - it includes image stabilisation in the body so all your
lenses become IS ones....

David

Dave R knows who

"Bob Burns" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:WSLbe.128$(E-Mail Removed) .net...

> My theory is to put my money into the lens rather than the body.

I'm doing the same. Going 2.8 L or better on all glass and using two and
four year old bodies (300D and 1D).

jean

Good choice, if you get the 350XT even better. The 24-70 is a great lens.

Jean