Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Printer ink - $2,788 a gallon?

Printer ink - $2,788 a gallon?

Bob G

My Epson R800 is a very nice printer but I have to buy cartridges all
the time.

Does the box say how much ink is in the cartridge? I'll look next time.

Let's assume it's around 20 milliliters.

20 milliliters of ink for around $14.50.

That works out to $2,788 per gallon.

Is that a ripoff or is that a ripoff?

Talk about gas prices!

Dimitrios Tzortzakakis

Of course-economical studies have proved that printer ink is one of the most
expensives fluids on earth, together with mice milk.My mother had the same
problem, one lexmark cartridge with hardly 20 ml for 30 euro.Until we found
the Inktec refill kits, which for 15 euro include:gloves, drill, syringes,
vacuum chamber (to create suction)and of course 40 ml of ink, which is
capable for 4 refills.There is also the colour ink flavour, but usually it's
the black that runs out, because my mother is writing a book.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr
> My Epson R800 is a very nice printer but I have to buy cartridges all
> the time.
>
> Does the box say how much ink is in the cartridge? I'll look next time.
>
> Let's assume it's around 20 milliliters.
>
> 20 milliliters of ink for around $14.50.
>
> That works out to $2,788 per gallon.
>
> Is that a ripoff or is that a ripoff?
>
> Talk about gas prices!

Scott W

Dimitrios Tzortzakakis wrote:
> Of course-economical studies have proved that printer ink is one of

the most
> expensives fluids on earth, together with mice milk.My mother had the

same
> problem, one lexmark cartridge with hardly 20 ml for 30 euro.Until we

found
> the Inktec refill kits, which for 15 euro include:gloves, drill,

syringes,
> vacuum chamber (to create suction)and of course 40 ml of ink, which

is
> capable for 4 refills.There is also the colour ink flavour, but

usually it's
> the black that runs out, because my mother is writing a book.

I got tired of paying through the nose for ink as well. My Canon
printer is not too bad at ink cost but even so the cost I have to pay
is clearly many times the real cost of the ink, I yesterday I started
refilling my print cartridges. So far the only one I have had to
refill is cyan, a few test prints show very little color shift.

If I want a print to send to someone, where I am worried about it
fading, I get it printed at Costco anyway. The prints I do at home are
more gee-whiz types of photos, if they fad or the color no big deal. I
am figuring that the refill kit costs less then 10% of the cost of the
ink from Canon, and once you have the hole in the cartridge the time it
takes to fill again is maybe a minute.

Now my cost for printing 8 x 10 prints is pretty much the cost of the
paper, I can get a very good photo paper at Costco for about $12 for
120 sheets. So my cost to do an A4 print is now just a bit over $0.15

Scott

Dave Cohen

For the person who's mother is writing a book, I got a brother laser for
$100 after mail in rebate from Staples. This deal may not be available but
keep an eye open. For b&w, a laser is a much better deal than any inkjet
both in terms of running cost and quality output. The hp and similar with
single drum/toner package are better printers but will cost a little more
initially.
Dave Cohen
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

kashe@sonic.net

On 27 Apr 2005 05:45:57 -0700, "Bob G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My Epson R800 is a very nice printer but I have to buy cartridges all
>the time.
>
>Does the box say how much ink is in the cartridge? I'll look next time.
>
>Let's assume it's around 20 milliliters.
>
>20 milliliters of ink for around $14.50.
>
>That works out to $2,788 per gallon.
>
>Is that a ripoff or is that a ripoff?
>
>Talk about gas prices!

I dunno -- how many pages per gallon do you get?

ecm

Dave Cohen wrote:
> For the person who's mother is writing a book, I got a brother laser

for
> $100 after mail in rebate from Staples. This deal may not be

available but
> keep an eye open. For b&w, a laser is a much better deal than any

inkjet
> both in terms of running cost and quality output. The hp and similar

with
> single drum/toner package are better printers but will cost a little

more
> initially.
> Dave Cohen
> "Scott W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

I second that. Best $150 I ever spent was on a Brother H-1440 laser
printer- my printing costs went from $50-60/month for refills for my HP
inkjet to $3 month for a ream of paper; I've bought one toner cartridge
($60 for Brother brand name) in two years. I still have the inkjet
attached to my computer but I don't know whether it even works anymore
- I haven't used it in 18 months.....

ECM

Ron Hunter

Scott W wrote:
> Dimitrios Tzortzakakis wrote:
>
>>Of course-economical studies have proved that printer ink is one of

> the most
>
>>expensives fluids on earth, together with mice milk.My mother had the

> same
>
>>problem, one lexmark cartridge with hardly 20 ml for 30 euro.Until we

> found
>
>>the Inktec refill kits, which for 15 euro include:gloves, drill,

> syringes,
>
>>vacuum chamber (to create suction)and of course 40 ml of ink, which

> is
>
>>capable for 4 refills.There is also the colour ink flavour, but

> usually it's
>
>>the black that runs out, because my mother is writing a book.
>>

> I got tired of paying through the nose for ink as well. My Canon
> printer is not too bad at ink cost but even so the cost I have to pay
> is clearly many times the real cost of the ink, I yesterday I started
> refilling my print cartridges. So far the only one I have had to
> refill is cyan, a few test prints show very little color shift.
>
> If I want a print to send to someone, where I am worried about it
> fading, I get it printed at Costco anyway. The prints I do at home are
> more gee-whiz types of photos, if they fad or the color no big deal. I
> am figuring that the refill kit costs less then 10% of the cost of the
> ink from Canon, and once you have the hole in the cartridge the time it
> takes to fill again is maybe a minute.
>
> Now my cost for printing 8 x 10 prints is pretty much the cost of the
> paper, I can get a very good photo paper at Costco for about $12 for
> 120 sheets. So my cost to do an A4 print is now just a bit over $0.15
>
> Scott

Don't you understand that you are paying for the PRINTER? How do you
think they sell the printer for under $100? They know they can get your
money later from cart. sales. It's called the Gillette Principle of
Marketing.
That's why film cameras are cheap, and digital cameras are expensive.

--
Ron Hunter http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Ron Hunter

Dave Cohen wrote:
> For the person who's mother is writing a book, I got a brother laser for
> $100 after mail in rebate from Staples. This deal may not be available but
> keep an eye open. For b&w, a laser is a much better deal than any inkjet
> both in terms of running cost and quality output. The hp and similar with
> single drum/toner package are better printers but will cost a little more
> initially.
> Dave Cohen
> "Scott W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>
>>Dimitrios Tzortzakakis wrote:
>>
>>>Of course-economical studies have proved that printer ink is one of

>>the most
>>
>>>expensives fluids on earth, together with mice milk.My mother had the

>>same
>>
>>>problem, one lexmark cartridge with hardly 20 ml for 30 euro.Until we

>>found
>>
>>>the Inktec refill kits, which for 15 euro include:gloves, drill,

>>syringes,
>>
>>>vacuum chamber (to create suction)and of course 40 ml of ink, which

>>is
>>
>>>capable for 4 refills.There is also the colour ink flavour, but

>>usually it's
>>
>>>the black that runs out, because my mother is writing a book.
>>>

>>I got tired of paying through the nose for ink as well. My Canon
>>printer is not too bad at ink cost but even so the cost I have to pay
>>is clearly many times the real cost of the ink, I yesterday I started
>>refilling my print cartridges. So far the only one I have had to
>>refill is cyan, a few test prints show very little color shift.
>>
>>If I want a print to send to someone, where I am worried about it
>>fading, I get it printed at Costco anyway. The prints I do at home are
>>more gee-whiz types of photos, if they fad or the color no big deal. I
>>am figuring that the refill kit costs less then 10% of the cost of the
>>ink from Canon, and once you have the hole in the cartridge the time it
>>takes to fill again is maybe a minute.
>>
>>Now my cost for printing 8 x 10 prints is pretty much the cost of the
>>paper, I can get a very good photo paper at Costco for about $12 for
>>120 sheets. So my cost to do an A4 print is now just a bit over $0.15
>>
>>Scott

And will KILL you when you find that a new toner/drum costs more than a
new printer!

--
Ron Hunter (E-Mail Removed)

Confused

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 15:51:07 -0500
In message <0XSbe.9994$(E-Mail Removed)>
Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Don't you understand that you are paying for the PRINTER?

My answer is out of context, but the answer is YES, we
are paying for the printers. They are made in CHINA.

> How do you think they sell the printer for under $100?
> They know they can get your money later from cart. sales.
> <snip>

They get us both ways now.

Jeff

Renee

"Bob G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> My Epson R800 is a very nice printer but I have to buy cartridges all
> the time.
>
> Does the box say how much ink is in the cartridge? I'll look next time.
>
> Let's assume it's around 20 milliliters.
>
> 20 milliliters of ink for around $14.50.
>
> That works out to $2,788 per gallon.
>
> Is that a ripoff or is that a ripoff?
>
> Talk about gas prices!

Here's a few more items to ponder

Diet Snapple 16 oz $1.29 ........ $10.32 per gallon
Lipton Ice Tea 16 oz $1.19 ...........$9.52 per gallon
Gatorade 20 oz $1.59 ...... $10.17 per gallon
Ocean Spray 16 oz $1.25 ...... $10.00 per gallon
Brake Fluid 12 oz $3.15 ...... $33.60 per gallon
Vick's Nyquil 6 oz $8.35 ...... $178.13 per gallon
Pepto Bismol 4 oz $3.85 ....... $123.20 per gallon
Whiteout 7 oz $1.39 ...... $25.42 per gallon
Scope 1.5 oz $0.99 ...... $84.48 per gallon
Evian water 9 oz $1.49...... $21.19 per gallon

So, the next time you're at the pump, be glad your car doesn't run on water,
Scope, or Whiteout, Pepto Bismal, Nyquil, or God forbid Printer Ink.