Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Is the printer good enough for the camera?

Is the printer good enough for the camera?

Brian

I recently brought a Canon EOS 300D camera that takes good quality
photos of 3072 x 2048 resolution. Do I need to buy a printer that can
print at this resolution to avoid losing picture quality?

Hoping for some guidance

Regards Brian

Scott W

You will actually need a printer with much more resolution. I is
important to realize that the camera deal with pixels and the printer
deals with dots. The dots are either there or not, no level of
brightness. It takes many dots for each pixel if the photo is to print
with smooth looking colors and not either look grainy or have banding.
The good news is that photo quality printer are very cheap, the bad
news is that the cheap ones don't produce prints that last very long
(they fade). Most of the time I don't care if a print fades, I can
reprint it. If I am giving a print to someone else it is a different
matter, in that case I take my photos to Costco and have them print it,
the printer they use uses laser to expose photographic paper, the end
print is in fact a photograph and will last as long as other color
photos.

Scott

Stacey

Brian wrote:

> I recently brought a Canon EOS 300D camera that takes good quality
> photos of 3072 x 2048 resolution. Do I need to buy a printer that can
> print at this resolution to avoid losing picture quality?

You're confused..

You need 300DPI to make a really good print so....at 300DPI you can print
10.24 X 6.83 with no upsampling. Most people will say you can make very
nice 8X10's with no upsampling from this camera (~250DPI) and with some
post processing and upsampling 11X14's that look good.

The printer DPI really has nothing to do with the camera used and it's
resolution. The canon's use 600 and the epson 720 (native) so either is
going to be processing the files for printing in the driver. But yes you
should get a good printer if you want good home prints.

--

Stacey

Vic Dura

On 26 Apr 2005 23:53:31 -0700, in rec.photo.digital RE: Re: Is the
printer good enough for the camera? "Scott W" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>If I am giving a print to someone else it is a different
>matter, in that case I take my photos to Costco and have them print it,
>the printer they use uses laser to expose photographic paper, the end
>print is in fact a photograph and will last as long as other color
>photos.

Or you can use one of the on-line photo printers such as DotPhoto.com
(good value) or Ofoto.com (better b&w).

--
To reply to me directly, remove the XXX characters from my email address.

Gary Eickmeier

Stacey wrote:

If you are the same Stacey who accused me of not reading your link,
would you please have the courtesy to at least revisit the thread
(Eureka on Color Management) and answer me.

Gary Eickmeier

Joseph Meehan

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I recently brought a Canon EOS 300D camera that takes good quality
> photos of 3072 x 2048 resolution. Do I need to buy a printer that can
> print at this resolution to avoid losing picture quality?
>
> Hoping for some guidance
>
> Regards Brian

Two different things. You printer will determine the max quality it can
print. The size of the print is not material here as the quality from the
printer point of view is the same for a small print as a large print. If
you are happy with the prints you now get from your printer you have no need
to change.

The camera resolution determines how large the print can be without
loosing quality. So assuming you are moving up from a camera with less
resolution, you now can make larger prints that look every bit as good as
the old camera did making smaller prints.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

measekite

If you want to print real large than go with a Canon i9900. If you want
to print up to 8.5x11 and also use the printer to do business documents
than go with the Canon IP4000. If your business printing is very light
and you want to match the quality of the i9900 than consider the Canon
IP8500.

After editing in Photo Shop you will be sending under 1200 PPI to the
printer. Somehow, and I do not understand exactly how, the printer
converts the pixels to DPI.

I have seen 13x19 prints done on a Canon i9900 that were shot with a
Canon 10D. They were stunning. Really Fantastic.

Now if you plan on selling your prints and longevity is primary, you
might want to consider a lesser result and look at the Epson R800/1800
Pigmented Ink Printers.

Brian wrote:

>I recently brought a Canon EOS 300D camera that takes good quality
>photos of 3072 x 2048 resolution. Do I need to buy a printer that can
>print at this resolution to avoid losing picture quality?
>
>Hoping for some guidance
>
>Regards Brian

Matt Silberstein

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 17:21:01 +1200, in rec.photo.digital , Brian
<(E-Mail Removed)> in <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I recently brought a Canon EOS 300D camera that takes good quality
>photos of 3072 x 2048 resolution. Do I need to buy a printer that can
>print at this resolution to avoid losing picture quality?

3072 x 2048 is size, not resolution. Resolution tells you how much
many things (dots of ink in the case of printers) you can get in a
row. You want lots of those dots for each camera pixel.

--
Matt Silberstein

Gary Eickmeier

Matt Silberstein wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 17:21:01 +1200, in rec.photo.digital , Brian
> <(E-Mail Removed)> in <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>I recently brought a Canon EOS 300D camera that takes good quality
>>photos of 3072 x 2048 resolution. Do I need to buy a printer that can
>>print at this resolution to avoid losing picture quality?

> 3072 x 2048 is size, not resolution. Resolution tells you how much
> many things (dots of ink in the case of printers) you can get in a
> row. You want lots of those dots for each camera pixel.

Agreed. Any printer can print at 200 to 300 ppi (pixels per inch). At
200 ppi, for example, your camera would make a 10 x 15 inch print. A
printer's dpi (dots per inch) is a totally separate subject and has
nothing to do with the resolution of your camera.

See Wayne Fulton's book at http://www.scantips.com/

Gary Eickmeier

Confused

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 13:48:57 GMT
In message <(E-Mail Removed)>
Matt Silberstein <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> 3072 x 2048 is size, not resolution.

According to Merriam-Webster that *is* resolution.
Size comes into play when using a DPI number to
determine dimensions for rendering on a specific device.

Jeff (was confused, looked it up, then remembered)