Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Printer Duplex settings

Printer Duplex settings

ZooOYork@gmail.com

I was just wondering what the ports on a cisco switch be set to for
printers. I do see alot of collissions on the cisco switch ports.
most of them are auto but connected as 10mb /half. How would i stop the
collissions from happening. Would setting the port explictly to 10/half
or 10/full fix this?

thanks

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:I was just wondering what the ports on a cisco switch be set to for
rinters. I do see alot of collissions on the cisco switch ports.
:most of them are auto

auto is fine for most printers

:but connected as 10mb /half. How would i stop the
:collissions from happening. Would setting the port explictly to 10/half
r 10/full fix this?

For most printers, the only way to prevent collisions is to get a
newer printer. Ah, I lie: there is another option, which is to disconnect
the network cable and use serial or parallel or USB interfaces instead.

Many printers only support 10/half (or sometimes 100/half)
so for those printers, nothing you could do on the switch end could
prevent half duplex. And if you have half duplex and both ends want
to communicate at the same time (e.g., the printer wants to acknowledge
receipt of a data packet) then you WILL have collisions.

Collisions are NORMAL in half duplex communications. Unless your
-rate- of collisions is more than 75%, you shouldn't even be thinking
about the matter. Even at "100% collisions" there is not a particulary
meaningful slowdown in throughput rate. [Measurable, yes, but
if you didn't think to check before buying the printer whether it
ran at 100/full or faster, then chances are that the minutae of
printer network throughput are not something you should worry about.]

anybody43@hotmail.com

Walter said:
... lots snipped ...
"Collisions are NORMAL in half duplex communications."
.... lots more snipped ...

Couldn't have put it better myself (USB)))

If you search comp.dcom.lans.ethernet for
[collisions Seifert] you may manage to
locate some relevant material

e.g.
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/com...a5a03e4692b321

"I really regret calling the arbitration events "collisions" in the
original
specification. If we had called them "arbitration cycles" or
"reschedule
indicators" or even "flabberdabbers" these arguments would have been
over
years ago. On the other hand, it would have killed the world market for

yellow LEDs!"

Mr Seifert was a (the?) major contributor to the original
IEEE 802.3 (Ethernet) standard and is the author of a fine
book on Ethernet Switching.