Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon A95 Successor?

Canon A95 Successor?

qtraindash7@optonline.net

Because I have spent alot of money on CF cards and readers. Plus CF
cards are easier to find and are cheaper in general.

qtraindash7@optonline.net

It's a damn shame. Canon seems to be narrowing their Point and Shoot
models to SD units only. I guess they feel they'd rather have smaller
units. The A75 seems pretty easy to carry to me, I don't think I'd want
anything smaller. The 4X zoom is a nice feature in the new models
though, but I heard the lens is more prone to the barrel effect.
The A75 and it's 3.2MP is really fine enough for me, I don't really see
that much of a difference between 3mp and 5mp. Well if the clearance
prices are low enough I just may get an A85 or 95 before they're gone.
It just seems these companies love to narrow their selection of
products, at least in North America.

cyclops

Alf92 wrote:
> DHB a dit ša :
>

>>Features I would like to see in the A95's replacement:

> Canon A520

A520 replaces the A85

>>1> CF memory card usage.

> no, SD
>

>>2> Quick & secure mounting of external filters, lenses & etc.

> yes
>

>>3> 5MP or more but only if the noise level is equal or less.

> 4Mp
>

>>4> Swivel LCD Display.

> no
>

>>5> "C" Custom mode that even remembers manual focus & zoom position.

> yes
>

>>6> "AA" NiMH use is a plus too but not a deal break without it.

> yes (2, and not 4 as on the A95)
>

>>7> An interval timer like that on the S60/S70 would be nice too.

> no

Mark▓

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Because I have spent alot of money on CF cards and readers. Plus CF
> cards are easier to find and are cheaper in general.

Personally, I like the SD form factor, though like you, I am heavily
invested in CF for my DSLR stuff. I have been resistant as you are, but I'm
seeing more and more that SD is catching up quickly in terms of capacity and
price.

1GB SD and CF cards are basically identically priced anymore... CF is still
significantly cheaper at 2GB and up, but that will change. In my view, SD
will take over CF before long--even in SLRs. Look no further than the Canon
professional series of DSLRs for examples of the move toward SD (they accept
BOTH SD and CF).

The ability to cram huge capacity is increasingly becoming less
size-dependant. Before long, it won't be an issue of the form factor in
terms of capacity...rather simply what is the smallest form factor that can
be handled easily. For me, this means no smaller than SD.

DHB

On 21 Apr 2005 17:14:32 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>It's a damn shame. Canon seems to be narrowing their Point and Shoot
>models to SD units only. I guess they feel they'd rather have smaller
>units. The A75 seems pretty easy to carry to me, I don't think I'd want
>anything smaller. The 4X zoom is a nice feature in the new models
>though, but I heard the lens is more prone to the barrel effect.
>The A75 and it's 3.2MP is really fine enough for me, I don't really see
>that much of a difference between 3mp and 5mp. Well if the clearance
>prices are low enough I just may get an A85 or 95 before they're gone.
>It just seems these companies love to narrow their selection of
>products, at least in North America.

Thanks for all of the advice/input/suggestions, I have just ordered a
2nd A95 from B&H before they become a thing of the past.
Unfortunately B&H is closed until 05/01/05 but I'm in no hurry, just
want to get the order in just in case the sell out.

Yes Canon could surprise me & come out with a successor to the
A95 that still uses CF & "AA" but I fear that is unlikely due to their
trend to convert almost their entire line over to SD flash memory. SD
is OK but I would rather retain CF compatibility with my other
cameras, including my DSLR. If virtually everything switches over to
SD memory than I will need to do so eventually, but not now while I
still have a choice.

Also there won't be a learning curve on the A95 since I
already have 1 & this will hold me over for @ least 2 years (I hope)
before even considering anything new.

Thanks again to all who responded.

Respectfully, DHB

PS Have been out taking a few "existing light only" pictures
with my trusty A60, they are nothing special but it does show that MP
is not everything. Also I was with my nephew today & he also has an
A95 which I was showing him how to use under these conditions & boy
did I ever regret not taking my A95 with me. The flip out LCD makes
actuate framing possible in some very unusual camera positions. Here
is the link to a very small collection of indoor pictures from my A60
(2MP) if anybody is interested:

www.pbase.com/dhb_2005

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918