Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > how do I set internal flash on D-70 to always flash?

how do I set internal flash on D-70 to always flash?

npro

Sorry but I find the manual to be clear as mud on a moonless night.

1. Can anyone explain is really simple terms how I can force the flash
on the D-70 to always flash? I have tried to find that setting but all
I can find in Program (P) on the mode dial is auto and turn off the
flash but not flash everytime.

I am using the flash to set off two slaves in my studio.

2. I would actually rather use a connecting cable. This cable works
fine (it was recommended over the Nikon hotshoe accessory because it
prevents the studio flash from burning out the D-70 circuits, cost $6
when I press the test button but it does not set off the studio flash.

Any suggestions on either 1. or 2. would be much appreciated (if put
simply for a simple guy).

Diane Wilson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,

> Sorry but I find the manual to be clear as mud on a moonless night.

Pretty much.

> 1. Can anyone explain is really simple terms how I can force the flash
> on the D-70 to always flash? I have tried to find that setting but all
> I can find in Program (P) on the mode dial is auto and turn off the
> flash but not flash everytime.

I played with the built-in flash some when I first got my D70, and
it never seemed to fire in P mode. Only in Auto. I hate the built-in
flash anyway; for me, it's a last choice for just about everything.

> I am using the flash to set off two slaves in my studio.

Details would help. What flash units are you using?

> 2. I would actually rather use a connecting cable. This cable works
> fine (it was recommended over the Nikon hotshoe accessory because it
> prevents the studio flash from burning out the D-70 circuits, cost $6
> when I press the test button but it does not set off the studio flash.

Again, details would help. What kind of cables? PC connector or
Nikon TTL connector? What accessories?

There's a Nikon cable (SC-24, I believe, and also SC-29 for Nikon's
newer flashes) that sets in the hot shoe at one end, and gives you
a hot shoe for remote flash on the other end. That would let you
drive one of your remote flashes by cable. Also, the SC-24 has
Nikon TTL cable connectors on the remote hot shoe, and you could
use Nikon TTL cables to connect to a second remote hot shoe (AS-10,
and SC-18 or SC-19 cables), as an alternative to optical slave units.

However, the Nikon SB-800 manual says that Nikon dSLRs don't support
iTTL with cables. No explanation why. I haven't started any
serious experimentation yet to get my own multiflash setup working,
so I can't take you much farther than that.

> Any suggestions on either 1. or 2. would be much appreciated (if put
> simply for a simple guy).

Let us know what what works. Hope some of the above helps.

Diane

paul

I don't use flash much but I think just pop the flash up (button on the
left) & it will flash for every shot, at least in the more manual modes.

npro wrote:

> Sorry but I find the manual to be clear as mud on a moonless night.
>
> 1. Can anyone explain is really simple terms how I can force the flash
> on the D-70 to always flash? I have tried to find that setting but all
> I can find in Program (P) on the mode dial is auto and turn off the
> flash but not flash everytime.
>
> I am using the flash to set off two slaves in my studio.
>
> 2. I would actually rather use a connecting cable. This cable works
> fine (it was recommended over the Nikon hotshoe accessory because it
> prevents the studio flash from burning out the D-70 circuits, cost $6
> when I press the test button but it does not set off the studio flash.
>

> Any suggestions on either 1. or 2. would be much appreciated (if put
> simply for a simple guy).

Jim

"npro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Sorry but I find the manual to be clear as mud on a moonless night.
>
> 1. Can anyone explain is really simple terms how I can force the flash
> on the D-70 to always flash? I have tried to find that setting but all
> I can find in Program (P) on the mode dial is auto and turn off the
> flash but not flash everytime.

Isn't all you need to do is to pop up the flash? Mine will flash every time
(in modes P, A, S, and M) whether needed or not.
If you are shooting in a studio, isn't M the mode to use?

> I am using the flash to set off two slaves in my studio.
>
> 2. I would actually rather use a connecting cable. This cable works
> fine (it was recommended over the Nikon hotshoe accessory because it
> prevents the studio flash from burning out the D-70 circuits, cost $6
> when I press the test button but it does not set off the studio flash.

Which cable? Whose studio flash? If I ever decide to buy one, I would want
to know brands to avoid.

As for me, I much prefer the IR signal because you can't trip over it.
Besides, the IR flash goes lots further.

Jim

Richard

Have you tried- set the internal flash to TTL using the camera's menu,
set the camera to "P", then pop the flash up, using the little button to
the left of the flash unit. This should work unless there's something
else set that may prevent it. I had a bit of a problem myself trying to
get the flash to work because I like to use it for portraits on sunny
days and couldn't figure it out until I got the combination above. Also,
the flash option has to be set to "front curtain" or normal flash mode.
Richard

>>1. Can anyone explain is really simple terms how I can force the flash
>>on the D-70 to always flash? I have tried to find that setting but all
>>I can find in Program (P) on the mode dial is auto and turn off the
>>flash but not flash everytime.

"CLIPPED"

Roy

"npro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Sorry but I find the manual to be clear as mud on a moonless night.
>
> 1. Can anyone explain is really simple terms how I can force the flash
> on the D-70 to always flash? I have tried to find that setting but all
> I can find in Program (P) on the mode dial is auto and turn off the
> flash but not flash everytime.
>
> I am using the flash to set off two slaves in my studio.
>
> 2. I would actually rather use a connecting cable. This cable works
> fine (it was recommended over the Nikon hotshoe accessory because it
> prevents the studio flash from burning out the D-70 circuits, cost $6
> when I press the test button but it does not set off the studio flash.
>

> Any suggestions on either 1. or 2. would be much appreciated (if put
> simply for a simple guy).

Hi there.
Have you actually rested the trigger voltages of your Studio Flashes. I
have just done so for my fairly elderly Courtney, and it was only 18volts,
positive on the centre pin of the PC connector, so it is quite safe to
connect to my D70. I just have to use a hot shoe to PC adaptor.

Roy G