Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > High-speed SD card?

High-speed SD card?

Lei Wu

Hi,

I just bought a digital camera and I'm looking for SD cards.

Does anybody know the difference of high-speed SD cards and regular,
old ones? Do I need the high-speed ones for my digital camera?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Lei

David J Taylor

Lei Wu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just bought a digital camera and I'm looking for SD cards.
>
> Does anybody know the difference of high-speed SD cards and regular,
> old ones? Do I need the high-speed ones for my digital camera?
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.
>
> Lei

It depends on the camera, some take advantage of higher speed SD cards,
others do not. But even if your present camera does not, your next one
might. If you have a USB 2.0 hi-speed or FireWire card reader you will
see the benefit when reading files into your computer.

Personally, I have used and recommend KingMax Platinum and SanDisk Ultra
II SD cards.

David

Biker2 \(Threadstopper\)

"Lei Wu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi,
>
> I just bought a digital camera and I'm looking for SD cards.
>
> Does anybody know the difference of high-speed SD cards and regular,
> old ones? Do I need the high-speed ones for my digital camera?
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.

Last night I tested two different cards in a Panasonic DMC-FX20

A TIFF file took 20 seconds to write to a 256mb SD card
but only 5 seconds to a 1gb Extreme 111 card.

Steve

Winston

Check out:
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007

Enjoy.

Lei Wu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just bought a digital camera and I'm looking for SD cards.
>
> Does anybody know the difference of high-speed SD cards and regular,
> old ones? Do I need the high-speed ones for my digital camera?
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.
>
> Lei

Ron Hunter

Lei Wu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just bought a digital camera and I'm looking for SD cards.
>
> Does anybody know the difference of high-speed SD cards and regular,
> old ones? Do I need the high-speed ones for my digital camera?
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.
>
> Lei

Tell us what kind of camera, and maybe we can help. Probably if you
have to ask, you don't have a camera that needs high speed cards.

--
Ron Hunter http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

marathoner@sina.com

Guys, thanks for your responses.

My digital camera is HP R707. After reading your comments, I guess I
just need a regular SD card.

Thanks.

Lei

D Cheung

For my Canon SD300, I can shoot continously (about 2.4 fps) until the
card is full with a Scandisk Ultra II card, but it stop shooting after
a few frames with a regular speed SD card.

On 18 Apr 2005 06:55:47 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (Lei Wu) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I just bought a digital camera and I'm looking for SD cards.
>
>Does anybody know the difference of high-speed SD cards and regular,
>old ones? Do I need the high-speed ones for my digital camera?
>
>Any advice would be appreciated.
>
>Lei

Randy Berbaum

Lei Wu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: Hi,

: I just bought a digital camera and I'm looking for SD cards.

: Does anybody know the difference of high-speed SD cards and regular,
: old ones? Do I need the high-speed ones for my digital camera?

: Any advice would be appreciated.

As others have said, the brand of camera and card reader on/in your
computer will define the need for a "high speed" card of any type.

Here's how I think of the card speed issue. If you are only going to be
driving on a local road with a speed limit of 35mph, you don't need a
Ferrari. On the other hand, if you are driving the Autoban, a VW bug
(1960's version) just won't be the same. You can use both vehicles on both
types of road, but only one pairing fits. But as one person mentioned, if
there is a chance that a future purchase of new equipment may be more
closely paired with HS cards, and the price difference is not much or does
not make your wallet scream, then go ahead and purchase the HS cards. Too
much speed capability would rarely cause capability difficulties.

JMHO

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL

Ron Hunter

Randy Berbaum wrote:
> Lei Wu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> : Hi,
>
> : I just bought a digital camera and I'm looking for SD cards.
>
> : Does anybody know the difference of high-speed SD cards and regular,
> : old ones? Do I need the high-speed ones for my digital camera?
>
> : Any advice would be appreciated.
>
> As others have said, the brand of camera and card reader on/in your
> computer will define the need for a "high speed" card of any type.
>
> Here's how I think of the card speed issue. If you are only going to be
> driving on a local road with a speed limit of 35mph, you don't need a
> Ferrari. On the other hand, if you are driving the Autoban, a VW bug
> (1960's version) just won't be the same. You can use both vehicles on both
> types of road, but only one pairing fits. But as one person mentioned, if
> there is a chance that a future purchase of new equipment may be more
> closely paired with HS cards, and the price difference is not much or does
> not make your wallet scream, then go ahead and purchase the HS cards. Too
> much speed capability would rarely cause capability difficulties.
>
> JMHO
>
> Randy
>
> ==========
> Randy Berbaum
> Champaign, IL

Then there is the fact that if you use a high speed card reader, you
will, at least, benefit from faster transfers to your computer. Dumping
a full 1GB card across USB 1.1 is not a fast process...

--
Ron Hunter (E-Mail Removed)

Randy Berbaum

Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: Randy Berbaum wrote:
: >
: > As others have said, the brand of camera and card reader on/in your
: > computer will define the need for a "high speed" card of any type.
: >
: Then there is the fact that if you use a high speed card reader, you
: will, at least, benefit from faster transfers to your computer. Dumping
: a full 1GB card across USB 1.1 is not a fast process...

I agree. That's why I mentioned both the camera and reader as factors for
concideration.

Randy

Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL