Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Manufacturer refurbished?

Manufacturer refurbished?

Bill & Debbie

Would it be prudent to purchase a digital camera that is advertised as:

"This product is manufacturer refurbished to brand new condition, factory
sealed box, unopened, everything is keeping in the original manufactory
status. "

I'm not looking for a camera that fails and I have to use the warranty.

Thanks in advance for you opinions or advice
Bill

canongirly

"Bill & Debbie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d3u0bp$2t1n$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Would it be prudent to purchase a digital camera that is advertised as:
>
> "This product is manufacturer refurbished to brand new condition, factory
> sealed box, unopened, everything is keeping in the original manufactory
> status. "

Whaddya think?

> I'm not looking for a camera that fails and I have to use the warranty.

Whatever you do ...don't buy anything ever. Car, TV, DVD, PC, Mac. Computer,
Toaster, clothing, anytthing coz it might fail and you might have to use the
warranty...

> Thanks in advance for you opinions or advice
> Bill

David Dyer-Bennet

"Bill & Debbie" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Would it be prudent to purchase a digital camera that is advertised as:
>
> "This product is manufacturer refurbished to brand new condition, factory
> sealed box, unopened, everything is keeping in the original manufactory
> status. "
>
> I'm not looking for a camera that fails and I have to use the warranty.

If you're sure you believe them, and if the manufacturer offers a
decent guarantee, it's probably *better* than really new; new stuff
hasn't been tweaked and adjusted, whereas in a refurb the technician
has to mess with it anyway. I've had very good luck with manufacturer
refurb printers.

Beck

"Bill & Debbie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d3u0bp$2t1n$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Would it be prudent to purchase a digital camera that is advertised as:
>
> "This product is manufacturer refurbished to brand new condition, factory
> sealed box, unopened, everything is keeping in the original manufactory
> status. "
>
> I'm not looking for a camera that fails and I have to use the warranty.
>
> Thanks in advance for you opinions or advice

Well brand new items can break just as easily as refurbed items under
warranty. That is what the warranty is for.

ASAAR

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 17:24:58 +0100, canongirly wrote:

>> I'm not looking for a camera that fails and I have to use the warranty.

> Whatever you do ...don't buy anything ever. Car, TV, DVD, PC, Mac.
> Computer, Toaster, clothing, anytthing coz it might fail and you might
> have to use the warranty...

We appear to have read that a little differently. I don't think
he means that he doesn't want to use a warranty. Just that he wants
information about whether refurbished equipment is less reliable
than new, which if so, would make it more likely that he'd have to
use the warranty. Of course you might have read it the same way and
just wanted to emphasize the point about needing warranties . . .

Bill & Debbie

"ASAAR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 17:24:58 +0100, canongirly wrote:
>
>>> I'm not looking for a camera that fails and I have to use the warranty.

>> Whatever you do ...don't buy anything ever. Car, TV, DVD, PC, Mac.
>> Computer, Toaster, clothing, anytthing coz it might fail and you might
>> have to use the warranty...

> We appear to have read that a little differently. I don't think
> he means that he doesn't want to use a warranty. Just that he wants
> information about whether refurbished equipment is less reliable
> than new, which if so, would make it more likely that he'd have to
> use the warranty. Of course you might have read it the same way and
> just wanted to emphasize the point about needing warranties . . .

You understood my question correctly. Maybe I should have tried to word it
more clearly. With many products, it is not a good idea to buy one that has
been refurbished, regardless of the warranty. If you do purchase one of
those products, you are just signing up for an extreme case of frustration
indigestion. The manufacturing/quality lines for a new product are usually
entirely different from the refurbish line for the product and the last
thing you want with some high tech products is to have a technician messing
around with it.

I was just wondering what experience people have had with refurbished
digital cameras.

Bill & Debbie

"David Dyer-Bennet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-b.net...
> "Bill & Debbie" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> Would it be prudent to purchase a digital camera that is advertised as:
>>
>> "This product is manufacturer refurbished to brand new condition, factory
>> sealed box, unopened, everything is keeping in the original manufactory
>> status. "
>>
>> I'm not looking for a camera that fails and I have to use the warranty.

> If you're sure you believe them, and if the manufacturer offers a
> decent guarantee, it's probably *better* than really new; new stuff
> hasn't been tweaked and adjusted, whereas in a refurb the technician
> has to mess with it anyway. I've had very good luck with manufacturer
> refurb printers.
> --
> David Dyer-Bennet, <(E-Mail Removed)>, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
> RKBA: <http://noguns-nomoney.com/> <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>
> Pics: <http://dd-b.lighthunters.net/>
> <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/>
> Dragaera/Steven Brust: <http://dragaera.info/>

Thanks for your insight.

Yozzi

"canongirly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d3u2kq$38h$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Whatever you do ...don't buy anything ever. Car, TV, DVD, PC, Mac.
> Computer, Toaster, clothing, anytthing coz it might fail and you might
> have to use the warranty...

Don't act like a wanker.

Wanker.

Frank ess

Bill & Debbie wrote:
> "David Dyer-Bennet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)-b.net...
>> "Bill & Debbie" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>
>>> Would it be prudent to purchase a digital camera that is advertised
>>> as: "This product is manufacturer refurbished to brand new
>>> condition,
>>> factory sealed box, unopened, everything is keeping in the original
>>> manufactory status. "
>>>
>>> I'm not looking for a camera that fails and I have to use the
>>> warranty.

>> If you're sure you believe them, and if the manufacturer offers a
>> decent guarantee, it's probably *better* than really new; new stuff
>> hasn't been tweaked and adjusted, whereas in a refurb the technician
>> has to mess with it anyway. I've had very good luck with
>> manufacturer refurb printers.
>> --
>> David Dyer-Bennet, <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/> RKBA: <http://noguns-nomoney.com/>
>> <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/> Pics: <http://dd-b.lighthunters.net/>
>> <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/>
>> Dragaera/Steven Brust: <http://dragaera.info/>

> Thanks for your insight.

Of two refurb cameras I have had fom a top online retailer, one was (and
is) good, the other went back. All the bad one cost was time without it.
Savings in both cases was considerable.

--
Frank ess

Chuck Lysaght