Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Advise on picture size, resolution

Advise on picture size, resolution

Art

I'm planning to create a an album of old photographs, which I will be
scanning myself, with a format similar to a "slide show", on a DVD disk,
with the purpose of showing them on a TV screen. My question is what is the
minimum definition or size that I should use for my photogrphas considering
that in the future they might be shown on a high definition TV screen???
Any advise on this matter will be highly appreciated.

Don Stauffer

Art wrote:
> I'm planning to create a an album of old photographs, which I will be
> scanning myself, with a format similar to a "slide show", on a DVD disk,
> with the purpose of showing them on a TV screen. My question is what is the
> minimum definition or size that I should use for my photogrphas considering
> that in the future they might be shown on a high definition TV screen???
> Any advise on this matter will be highly appreciated.

One old rule of thumb is that you need at least 30% higher resolution
than your final output resolution. If the HD is 1024 that says you need
at least 1250 samples horizontal. I'd be safe and scan prints so that
you end up with around 1500 samples horizontal.

Scott W

If you are taking the time to scan the photo to begin with I would scan
them at a fairly high resolution and then resize as needed for the
slide shows. For slide shows I like to size the photo to match the
resolution of what ever they will be viewed on, this gives me control
on how the photo is resized. When showing photos using my DVD player
and TV I size the photos to 640 x 480, this both gives me control on
how the photo looks and also they load a lot faster then an 8 MP photo.

There are any number of programs that will resize a batch of photos all
at once.

If I am scanning prints I will normally scan at 300 pixel / inch,
depending on the size and quality of the print. For some really small
prints I can get a bit more buy scanning at higher resolutions and for
some larger prints there is so little detail in the print that scanning
higher then 150 is a waste of time.

But my view is more pixels is better because you can always reduce the
number of pixels but it is hard to increase the number.

Scott

Marvin

Art wrote:
> I'm planning to create a an album of old photographs, which I will be
> scanning myself, with a format similar to a "slide show", on a DVD disk,
> with the purpose of showing them on a TV screen. My question is what is the
> minimum definition or size that I should use for my photogrphas considering
> that in the future they might be shown on a high definition TV screen???
> Any advise on this matter will be highly appreciated.

If these are typical prints, you won't capture more detail by scanning at more than 200 ppi/ And
scanning at higher reslution will enhanche scratches and other blemishes. And you might as well
scan in gray scale, except for color prints.

Almost any scan will look better after sharpening.

David Dyer-Bennet

"Art" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I'm planning to create a an album of old photographs, which I will be
> scanning myself, with a format similar to a "slide show", on a DVD disk,
> with the purpose of showing them on a TV screen. My question is what is the
> minimum definition or size that I should use for my photogrphas considering
> that in the future they might be shown on a high definition TV screen???
> Any advise on this matter will be highly appreciated.

Given how much work scanning is, and how cheap hard drive space and
DVD-Rs are, I'd suggest scanning at much higher resolution than needed
for an on-screen show, even an HDTV one. It'll take you little extra
time, and you'll have a much higher-resolution archive to share with
family members. Somewhere in the range of 150-300 dpi at 100%, to put
it in flatbed scanner terminology. (Depending on the kind of prints,
there may not be as much as 300dpi of information in them; there's
almost *never* more in consumer snapshot prints.)