Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > IS IPSEC FEATURE REQUIRED IN THE CUSTOMER EDGE ROUTER ?

IS IPSEC FEATURE REQUIRED IN THE CUSTOMER EDGE ROUTER ?

ConceptZone

Hi folks,

In the context of the IPVPN (MPLS), is the customer edge router has to
support IPSEC?

Thanks,
ConceptZone

stephen

"ConceptZone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> Hi folks,
>
> In the context of the IPVPN (MPLS), is the customer edge router has to
> support IPSEC?

it depends.

MPLS doesnt need IPsec or any other tunnelling to work, and the edge router
only needs simple IP forwarding - all that label stuff happens in the
network core, on the PE and P routers.

if this is a "private" MPLS service, and you dont consider the risk of the
carrier tapping the traffic a big problem then no security is needed.

The Q you didnt ask is whether you should use encryption - you dont have to
but you can if you want (the same answer as for a VPN across the Internet
really).

--
Regards

ConceptZone

Thank you so much really, you gave me a great answer, just one thing
more raised up in my mine

what about the voice cpmression across MPLS ?

thanks again

ConceptZone

stephen wrote:
> "ConceptZone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> >
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > In the context of the IPVPN (MPLS), is the customer edge router has to
> > support IPSEC?

> it depends.
>
> MPLS doesnt need IPsec or any other tunnelling to work, and the edge router
> only needs simple IP forwarding - all that label stuff happens in the
> network core, on the PE and P routers.
>
> if this is a "private" MPLS service, and you dont consider the risk of the
> carrier tapping the traffic a big problem then no security is needed.
>
> The Q you didnt ask is whether you should use encryption - you dont have to
> but you can if you want (the same answer as for a VPN across the Internet
> really).
> >
> > Thanks,
> > ConceptZone
> >

> --
> Regards
>
> (E-Mail Removed) - replace xyz with ntl

stephen

"ConceptZone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Thank you so much really, you gave me a great answer, just one thing
> more raised up in my mine
>
> what about the voice cpmression across MPLS ?

voice compression in IP? - its just IP......

headers (for voice specifically because it is lots of small packets) - see
below

can you do data (not just voice) compression across a serial link? - yes -
but most carriers (at least here in UK) dont because:
they sell bandwidth for a living
the hit on the aggregation / PE router for processing is painful.

Also data compression gives a "variable return" - in particular the more pre
processing (compression, encryption), the less the improvement in thruput.
Try writing that into an SLA.......