Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Bloody flash photography

Bloody flash photography

Don

Folks, I have a 20D with a 420ex attached and seem to continuously get
underexposed shots with the flash when shooting inside and outside,
regardless of lighting conditions. I have tried P, Av & Tv modes but get no
joy in any mode. I have the custom functions settings set to evaluative
flash and have tried average mode as well, same problem. Have noted that
the flash confirm indicator lights up each time as if it is reading ok.
Still underexposed. Have changed ISO etc still to no avail. Any ideas?
Does anyone know of a way of checking the output of the unit without having
it sent in for service?

regards

--
Don From Down Under

stormwatcher

Can you test the 420EX on another 20D?

Roy

"Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:LsJ7e.11867$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Folks, I have a 20D with a 420ex attached and seem to continuously get
> underexposed shots with the flash when shooting inside and outside,
> regardless of lighting conditions. I have tried P, Av & Tv modes but get
> no joy in any mode. I have the custom functions settings set to
> evaluative flash and have tried average mode as well, same problem. Have
> noted that the flash confirm indicator lights up each time as if it is
> reading ok. Still underexposed. Have changed ISO etc still to no avail.
> Any ideas? Does anyone know of a way of checking the output of the unit
> without having it sent in for service?
>
> regards
>
> --
> Don From Down Under

If you happen to know anyone who does a lot of Studio Photography, they are
almost certain to have a Flash Meter, which will be able to test your Flash
Output.

Roy G

nikojorj_jaimepaslapub@yahoo.Fr

Don wrote:
> Folks, I have a 20D with a 420ex attached and seem to continuously

get
> underexposed shots with the flash [...]

The 1c idea : if the underexposition is consistent, couldn't it be
by-passed by simply setting the Flash Exposure Compensation (FEC) to
the same amount of overexposition?

Apart from this kind of trivia, perhaps could you test another strobe
(another 420ex at best?) with your 20d, or test your strobe on another
unit, to know which one is in cause?

Greetings from France (another way to say "sorry for my english" ;o)!
Nicolas

Giulia

Don

I have the same issue, and so have many others. Apparently it is a problem
with ETTL- II TTL metering.

Some people say that it under-exposes on purpose to avoid blowing out the
whites and that you should just use FEC (Flash Exposure Compensation), but I
have found that the photos are still poor even when over-exposing by 1 stop.

My verdict, this is not acceptable on a camera of this price, and Canon need
to release a firmware upgrade so you can take a flash photo, and it is
correctly exposed.

"Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:LsJ7e.11867$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Folks, I have a 20D with a 420ex attached and seem to continuously get
> underexposed shots with the flash when shooting inside and outside,
> regardless of lighting conditions. I have tried P, Av & Tv modes but get

no
> joy in any mode. I have the custom functions settings set to evaluative
> flash and have tried average mode as well, same problem. Have noted that
> the flash confirm indicator lights up each time as if it is reading ok.
> Still underexposed. Have changed ISO etc still to no avail. Any ideas?
> Does anyone know of a way of checking the output of the unit without

having
> it sent in for service?
>
> regards
>
> --
> Don From Down Under

canongirly

"Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:LsJ7e.11867$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Folks, I have a 20D with a 420ex attached and seem to continuously get
> underexposed shots with the flash when shooting inside and outside,
> regardless of lighting conditions. I have tried P, Av & Tv modes but get
> no joy in any mode. I have the custom functions settings set to
> evaluative flash and have tried average mode as well, same problem. Have
> noted that the flash confirm indicator lights up each time as if it is
> reading ok. Still underexposed. Have changed ISO etc still to no avail.
> Any ideas? Does anyone know of a way of checking the output of the unit
> without having it sent in for service?
>
> regards
>
> --
> Don From Down Under

It's why I use Vivitar 285's with my 300D's.

For some reason Canon haven't successfully addressed the whole E-TTL deal
with it's entire line of digital cameras, they all screw up it up. Mind you
I'm old school so not using E-TTL isn't an issue. Flash on F8 camera on
manual, F7.1, 1/125th sec underexposure never an issue.

Skip M

"Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:LsJ7e.11867$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Folks, I have a 20D with a 420ex attached and seem to continuously get
> underexposed shots with the flash when shooting inside and outside,
> regardless of lighting conditions. I have tried P, Av & Tv modes but get
> no joy in any mode. I have the custom functions settings set to
> evaluative flash and have tried average mode as well, same problem. Have
> noted that the flash confirm indicator lights up each time as if it is
> reading ok. Still underexposed. Have changed ISO etc still to no avail.
> Any ideas? Does anyone know of a way of checking the output of the unit
> without having it sent in for service?
>
> regards
>
> --
> Don From Down Under

As Giulia and canongirly said, this is part and parcel of ETT-L II and Canon
flashes. I have a 420 and a 20D, and they perform admirably together when
used for fill flash. Other than that, one to 1 and two thirds stops
underexposed. But we use Quantum flashes, and don't have a problem. I've
heard the same from others who use non Canon flashes, whether Sigma, Sunpak
or Metz, that they don't have exposure problems. So, I guess my suggestion
is to get an off brand flash. Or rent one to try and see if that solves
your problem. Otherwise, as canongirly also said, manual is the only way to
go...
Two otherwise untouched images from 20Ds, one with a Canon 420EX, one with a
Quantum T4D:
http://www.shutterspeedway.com/cgi-b...Flash+problems

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Don

Folks

thanks for all the above. I will try and borrow a flash meter and also try a
non canon flash.

regards

Don from Down Under
"Skip M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:LsJ7e.11867$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Folks, I have a 20D with a 420ex attached and seem to continuously get
>> underexposed shots with the flash when shooting inside and outside,
>> regardless of lighting conditions. I have tried P, Av & Tv modes but get
>> no joy in any mode. I have the custom functions settings set to
>> evaluative flash and have tried average mode as well, same problem. Have
>> noted that the flash confirm indicator lights up each time as if it is
>> reading ok. Still underexposed. Have changed ISO etc still to no avail.
>> Any ideas? Does anyone know of a way of checking the output of the unit
>> without having it sent in for service?
>>
>> regards
>>
>> --
>> Don From Down Under
>>

> As Giulia and canongirly said, this is part and parcel of ETT-L II and
> Canon flashes. I have a 420 and a 20D, and they perform admirably
> together when used for fill flash. Other than that, one to 1 and two
> thirds stops underexposed. But we use Quantum flashes, and don't have a
> problem. I've heard the same from others who use non Canon flashes,
> whether Sigma, Sunpak or Metz, that they don't have exposure problems.
> So, I guess my suggestion is to get an off brand flash. Or rent one to
> try and see if that solves your problem. Otherwise, as canongirly also
> said, manual is the only way to go...
> Two otherwise untouched images from 20Ds, one with a Canon 420EX, one with
> a Quantum T4D:
> http://www.shutterspeedway.com/cgi-b...Flash+problems
>
> --
> Skip Middleton
> http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Fine Tune Your Photography Skills with Photography Expert RobSheppard! xtrain4u@gmail.com Digital Photography 0 03-14-2008 02:11 PM
Panoramic photography on the cheap! - Photography Help Blog by Pixelpix PixelPix Digital Photography 19 06-10-2007 05:28 AM
Bloody flash website Rob NZ Computing 24 11-13-2005 05:33 PM
The Photography Cafe is the Place to Share your Photography! Patzt Digital Photography 0 08-14-2005 06:20 AM

Advertisments