Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Kodak Printer

Kodak Printer

Andrew Burtenshaw

I recently bought a Kodak DX7440 and 6000 Camera Dock. Unfortunately the
AC/DC adapter for the dock was extremely lose and would fall out at the
slightest movement. As the adapter worked fine with the camera I contacted
Kodak UK support and they arranged for me to return the Camera Dock and
power adapter for rectification. Within a week I had the unit back and was
very impressed until I opened the box. Kodak had replaced the adapter with
another and that was as lose as the original. So is this problem a "feature"
of the dock, I have contacted Kodak again and they are arranging for me to
return the unit again but I am not convinced that this time there will be a
different out come.

As I bought the camera for a holiday I am going on in a week I am not sure
whether there is any point sending the unit back again and being with out
the facilities of the dock for the holiday.

Any ideas or opinions would be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Andrew

Andrew Burtenshaw

Just to clarify I don't know why I put printer in the title it is not a
printer just a docking station.

"Andrew Burtenshaw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:425e6c11$0$2598$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I recently bought a Kodak DX7440 and 6000 Camera Dock. Unfortunately the
>AC/DC adapter for the dock was extremely lose and would fall out at the
>slightest movement. As the adapter worked fine with the camera I contacted
>Kodak UK support and they arranged for me to return the Camera Dock and
>power adapter for rectification. Within a week I had the unit back and was
>very impressed until I opened the box. Kodak had replaced the adapter with
>another and that was as lose as the original. So is this problem a
>"feature" of the dock, I have contacted Kodak again and they are arranging
>for me to return the unit again but I am not convinced that this time there
>will be a different out come.
>
> As I bought the camera for a holiday I am going on in a week I am not sure
> whether there is any point sending the unit back again and being with out
> the facilities of the dock for the holiday.
>
> Any ideas or opinions would be appreciated.
>
> Thank you for your time.
>
> Andrew

TCS

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 14:13:36 +0100, Andrew Burtenshaw <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I recently bought a Kodak DX7440 and 6000 Camera Dock. Unfortunately the
>AC/DC adapter for the dock was extremely lose and would fall out at the
>slightest movement. As the adapter worked fine with the camera I contacted
>Kodak UK support and they arranged for me to return the Camera Dock and
>power adapter for rectification. Within a week I had the unit back and was
>very impressed until I opened the box. Kodak had replaced the adapter with
>another and that was as lose as the original. So is this problem a "feature"
>of the dock, I have contacted Kodak again and they are arranging for me to
>return the unit again but I am not convinced that this time there will be a
>different out come.

>As I bought the camera for a holiday I am going on in a week I am not sure
>whether there is any point sending the unit back again and being with out
>the facilities of the dock for the holiday.

>Any ideas or opinions would be appreciated.

duct tape or perhaps well placed cable ties.

Ron Hunter

Andrew Burtenshaw wrote:
> I recently bought a Kodak DX7440 and 6000 Camera Dock. Unfortunately the
> AC/DC adapter for the dock was extremely lose and would fall out at the
> slightest movement. As the adapter worked fine with the camera I contacted
> Kodak UK support and they arranged for me to return the Camera Dock and
> power adapter for rectification. Within a week I had the unit back and was
> very impressed until I opened the box. Kodak had replaced the adapter with
> another and that was as lose as the original. So is this problem a "feature"
> of the dock, I have contacted Kodak again and they are arranging for me to
> return the unit again but I am not convinced that this time there will be a
> different out come.
>
> As I bought the camera for a holiday I am going on in a week I am not sure
> whether there is any point sending the unit back again and being with out
> the facilities of the dock for the holiday.
>
> Any ideas or opinions would be appreciated.
>
> Thank you for your time.
>
> Andrew

I have the DX6440, and the plug is indeed a bit on the loose side. I
suspect the plug on the adapter is a bit smaller than specified. Such
things happen. I have a USB 4 port adapter that is MUCH worse. If I
just jar the desk, it will come loose. Seems it is loose, again. Sigh.

--
Ron Hunter http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Andrew Burtenshaw

Yeah that sort of solution had crossed my mind and if it is a know fault
others have experienced I will have to opt for it. Just a shame that that
you have to start modifying new kit.

"TCS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 14:13:36 +0100, Andrew Burtenshaw
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>I recently bought a Kodak DX7440 and 6000 Camera Dock. Unfortunately the
>>AC/DC adapter for the dock was extremely lose and would fall out at the
>>slightest movement. As the adapter worked fine with the camera I contacted
>>Kodak UK support and they arranged for me to return the Camera Dock and
>>power adapter for rectification. Within a week I had the unit back and was
>>very impressed until I opened the box. Kodak had replaced the adapter with
>>another and that was as lose as the original. So is this problem a
>>"feature"
>>of the dock, I have contacted Kodak again and they are arranging for me to
>>return the unit again but I am not convinced that this time there will be
>>different out come.

>>As I bought the camera for a holiday I am going on in a week I am not sure
>>whether there is any point sending the unit back again and being with out
>>the facilities of the dock for the holiday.

>>Any ideas or opinions would be appreciated.

> duct tape or perhaps well placed cable ties.

Andrew Burtenshaw

"Ron Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:rfv7e.4354$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Andrew Burtenshaw wrote:
>> I recently bought a Kodak DX7440 and 6000 Camera Dock. Unfortunately the
>> AC/DC adapter for the dock was extremely lose and would fall out at the
>> slightest movement. As the adapter worked fine with the camera I
>> contacted Kodak UK support and they arranged for me to return the Camera
>> Dock and power adapter for rectification. Within a week I had the unit
>> back and was very impressed until I opened the box. Kodak had replaced
>> the adapter with another and that was as lose as the original. So is this
>> problem a "feature" of the dock, I have contacted Kodak again and they
>> are arranging for me to return the unit again but I am not convinced that
>> this time there will be a different out come.
>>
>> As I bought the camera for a holiday I am going on in a week I am not
>> sure whether there is any point sending the unit back again and being
>> with out the facilities of the dock for the holiday.
>>
>> Any ideas or opinions would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thank you for your time.
>>
>> Andrew

> I have the DX6440, and the plug is indeed a bit on the loose side. I
> suspect the plug on the adapter is a bit smaller than specified. Such
> things happen. I have a USB 4 port adapter that is MUCH worse. If I just
> jar the desk, it will come loose. Seems it is loose, again. Sigh.
>

> --
> Ron Hunter (E-Mail Removed)

I had a feeling it might be a design fault. Thanks for the info.

TCS

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 15:43:53 +0100, Andrew Burtenshaw <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Yeah that sort of solution had crossed my mind and if it is a know fault
>others have experienced I will have to opt for it. Just a shame that that
>you have to start modifying new kit.

Could be worse, like the power jacks on some IBM thinkpads that are easily
broken off the circuit boards.

Sometimes the best thing to do is be quick to return the product and don't even
let the manufacturer try to fix it.

If you know any electronics geeks, it may be possible to figure out a solution
that isn't apparent without a close physical inspection. Solder the
wire directly into the dock and get rid of the mediocre jack? Reach in to the
jack with a jeweler's screwdriver and bend out the grounding tab a bit to make
the connection tighter?

Andrew Burtenshaw

"TCS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 15:43:53 +0100, Andrew Burtenshaw
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>Yeah that sort of solution had crossed my mind and if it is a know fault
>>others have experienced I will have to opt for it. Just a shame that that
>>you have to start modifying new kit.

> Could be worse, like the power jacks on some IBM thinkpads that are easily
> broken off the circuit boards.
>
> Sometimes the best thing to do is be quick to return the product and don't
> even
> let the manufacturer try to fix it.
>
> If you know any electronics geeks, it may be possible to figure out a
> solution
> that isn't apparent without a close physical inspection. Solder the
> wire directly into the dock and get rid of the mediocre jack? Reach in to
> the
> jack with a jeweler's screwdriver and bend out the grounding tab a bit to
> make
> the connection tighter?

I have had a go at the grounding tab to try and improve the situation with
out much luck. As for removing the case I am not going to admit to doing
that because of the warranty.

Thanks for your imput.

Ron Hunter

Andrew Burtenshaw wrote:
> Just to clarify I don't know why I put printer in the title it is not a
> printer just a docking station.
>
> "Andrew Burtenshaw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:425e6c11$0$2598$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I recently bought a Kodak DX7440 and 6000 Camera Dock. Unfortunately the
>>AC/DC adapter for the dock was extremely lose and would fall out at the
>>slightest movement. As the adapter worked fine with the camera I contacted
>>Kodak UK support and they arranged for me to return the Camera Dock and
>>power adapter for rectification. Within a week I had the unit back and was
>>very impressed until I opened the box. Kodak had replaced the adapter with
>>another and that was as lose as the original. So is this problem a
>>"feature" of the dock, I have contacted Kodak again and they are arranging
>>for me to return the unit again but I am not convinced that this time there
>>will be a different out come.
>>
>>As I bought the camera for a holiday I am going on in a week I am not sure
>>whether there is any point sending the unit back again and being with out
>>the facilities of the dock for the holiday.
>>
>>Any ideas or opinions would be appreciated.
>>
>>Thank you for your time.
>>
>>Andrew

Doesn't matter. Same comment. It seems the plugs aren't exactly the
right diameter, or the jacks don't have enough spring tension. In
either case, a bit of tape will solve the problem in most cases.

--
Ron Hunter (E-Mail Removed)

Ron Hunter

Ron Hunter wrote:
> Andrew Burtenshaw wrote:
>
>> I recently bought a Kodak DX7440 and 6000 Camera Dock. Unfortunately
>> the AC/DC adapter for the dock was extremely lose and would fall out
>> at the slightest movement. As the adapter worked fine with the camera
>> I contacted Kodak UK support and they arranged for me to return the
>> Camera Dock and power adapter for rectification. Within a week I had
>> the unit back and was very impressed until I opened the box. Kodak had
>> replaced the adapter with another and that was as lose as the
>> original. So is this problem a "feature" of the dock, I have contacted
>> Kodak again and they are arranging for me to return the unit again but
>> I am not convinced that this time there will be a different out come.
>>
>> As I bought the camera for a holiday I am going on in a week I am not
>> sure whether there is any point sending the unit back again and being
>> with out the facilities of the dock for the holiday.
>>
>> Any ideas or opinions would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thank you for your time.
>>
>> Andrew
>>

> I have the DX6440, and the plug is indeed a bit on the loose side. I
> suspect the plug on the adapter is a bit smaller than specified. Such
> things happen. I have a USB 4 port adapter that is MUCH worse. If I
> just jar the desk, it will come loose. Seems it is loose, again. Sigh.

Seems rather than being loose, it has stopped working. Either the brick
has become unplugged (bad since it is behind the computer desk, and my
back isn't up to moving desks these days). No real damage since the
dock is the only thing plugged into the stupid thing, and I can always
plug it into the USB port in the front if I just HAVE to access it.

--
Ron Hunter (E-Mail Removed)