Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > USB 802.11g wireless adapter

USB 802.11g wireless adapter

Ray

I read some installation guides of this type of device. It appears to me
that some configuration and monitor software have to be installed before the
adapter is working correctly. The installation guides do not mention that
if I installed the adapter and it works correctly, I then move the adapter
to other notebook computer for use. Do I need to install the software again
on the new notebook computer or just plug it in and it works like the one to
configure it before? Your share of practice experience is highly
appreciated.

Thanks,

Ray

Edward W. Thompson

While I am certainly not an expert on the subject, surely if the installed
OS on the machine supports the adaptor or for that matter any hardware, that
is the drivers are embeded in the OS, the adaptor/hardware will transfer
without need to install drivers and the like to any machine with the same
OS. It may not work, however, on a machine with another OS installed, say
WINME, unless you install the necessary drivers. As far as configuration is
concerned, everytime you install the hardware on a different machine you
will need to configure it to suit.

"Ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I read some installation guides of this type of device. It appears to me
> that some configuration and monitor software have to be installed before

the
> adapter is working correctly. The installation guides do not mention that
> if I installed the adapter and it works correctly, I then move the adapter
> to other notebook computer for use. Do I need to install the software

again
> on the new notebook computer or just plug it in and it works like the one

> configure it before? Your share of practice experience is highly
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ray

Jack

Hi.
You have to install the drivers on every computer that you want it to work
with one time.'

If you unplug the Adapter and plug it again after a while the Adapter will
pick up the previously installed drivers.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I read some installation guides of this type of device. It appears to me
> that some configuration and monitor software have to be installed before

the
> adapter is working correctly. The installation guides do not mention that
> if I installed the adapter and it works correctly, I then move the adapter
> to other notebook computer for use. Do I need to install the software

again
> on the new notebook computer or just plug it in and it works like the one

> configure it before? Your share of practice experience is highly
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ray

Ray

Edward,

Thank for your advice.

Ray

"Edward W. Thompson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> While I am certainly not an expert on the subject, surely if the installed
> OS on the machine supports the adaptor or for that matter any hardware,

that
> is the drivers are embeded in the OS, the adaptor/hardware will transfer
> without need to install drivers and the like to any machine with the same
> OS. It may not work, however, on a machine with another OS installed, say
> WINME, unless you install the necessary drivers. As far as configuration

is
> concerned, everytime you install the hardware on a different machine you
> will need to configure it to suit.
>

> "Ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I read some installation guides of this type of device. It appears to

me
> > that some configuration and monitor software have to be installed before

> the
> > adapter is working correctly. The installation guides do not mention

that
> > if I installed the adapter and it works correctly, I then move the

adapter
> > to other notebook computer for use. Do I need to install the software

> again
> > on the new notebook computer or just plug it in and it works like the

one
> > configure it before? Your share of practice experience is highly
> > appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Ray

Ray