Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Can I change incorrect 'picture taken on' date/time?

Can I change incorrect 'picture taken on' date/time?

gil

On a recent trip, I forgot to reset the camera date/time to reflect a 7
hour time zone change. Therefore, all of the pictures taken have an
incorrect date/time stamp.
Because I traveled from East to West, some of the pictures taken in the
evening, are listed as being taken the following day, in the early
morning. Disconcerting!

Is there any way to correct this date group which is stored with each
picture?

Additional info
I have software to modify the date/time of file properties "Created on",
"Modified on", and "Accessed on", but this does not change the picture's
internal data.
Picture format is .jpg, camera is HP R707, which stores camera settings
with each photo. Computer uses Windows XP.
Camera type shouldn't matter, as almost all digital cameras store the
date/time with the image.
Forgetting to adjust the time, would probably be a common error, made by
many people, and a utility to correct the picture's internal date/time
would be useful.

Can anyone help?

Scott W

I use ACDSee to adjust my camera time, I don't change it when I travel.
There are any number of programs that will allow you to adjust the
time but so far ACDSee seems to be the easiest, and I already use it
for browsing my photos.

Fish

Hello,

You can try Exif Pilot (http://www.colorpilot.com/exif.html) - the
program for exif data editing.
You can download the trial version of the program from
http://www.colorpilot.com/load/exif.exe

Exif Pilot allows you:
- to change name, date, copyright, and any other EXIF parameter
(select a file and click "Edit");
- to edit exif data of bunch of photos (select a bunch of images,
click "Edit" and change any parameter for all the selected images *);
- to set timestamps for a bunch of photos ahead or back a certain
number of hours*;
- to add exif data to the JPG files that didn't have it before (select
a file and click "Edit" to add EXIF info).

* batch editing available in the registered version only.

Best regards,

Olga Panchenko
Two Pilots
http://www.colorpilot.com

Pedro Graca

gil wrote:
> Is there any way to correct this date group which is stored with each
> picture?

Exifer [1] does what you want.

[1] http://www.exifer.friedemann.info/

--
Mail to my "From:" address is readable by all at http://www.dodgeit.com/
== ** ## !! ------------------------------------------------ !! ## ** ==

gil

At approximately 2005/04/13 19:17, Pedro Graca typed these characters:
> gil wrote:
>
>>Is there any way to correct this date group which is stored with each
>>picture?

> Exifer [1] does what you want.
>
> [1] http://www.exifer.friedemann.info/

tried exifer.

I can read exif data from pictures taken with my OLD camera (Kodak
LS443) but cannot read the data from its replacement (HP R707) Exifer
says 'No Data'

HP site says 707 uses exif 2.2 standard, and exifer site says program
should detect versions up to 2.2

Sounds like someone goofed.

Scott W

Get a trial version of ACDSee, it is free to try for something like 30
days. It really is very easy to
adjust the time stamp.

Scott

Mr.Bolshoy Huy

Happened to me at the wedding recently.
Day light savings time was up, and the hour got pushed up by 1hr.
So between 10pm-12 the right wedding date is on the photos, after 12,
the next day's date is on the photos.
so half have 4 3 '05, the other half 4 4 '05.

Ron Hunter

Mr.Bolshoy Huy wrote:
> Happened to me at the wedding recently.
> Day light savings time was up, and the hour got pushed up by 1hr.
> So between 10pm-12 the right wedding date is on the photos, after 12,
> the next day's date is on the photos.
> so half have 4 3 '05, the other half 4 4 '05.

Does that cause a problem?

--
Ron Hunter http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Logan Spitznauer

Use Greenwich Mean Time then calculate based on venue.

"gil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:7sf7e.14210$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On a recent trip, I forgot to reset the camera date/time to reflect a 7
> hour time zone change. Therefore, all of the pictures taken have an
> incorrect date/time stamp.
> Because I traveled from East to West, some of the pictures taken in the
> evening, are listed as being taken the following day, in the early
> morning. Disconcerting!
>
> Is there any way to correct this date group which is stored with each
> picture?
>
> Additional info
> I have software to modify the date/time of file properties "Created on",
> "Modified on", and "Accessed on", but this does not change the picture's
> internal data.
> Picture format is .jpg, camera is HP R707, which stores camera settings
> with each photo. Computer uses Windows XP.
> Camera type shouldn't matter, as almost all digital cameras store the
> date/time with the image.
> Forgetting to adjust the time, would probably be a common error, made by
> many people, and a utility to correct the picture's internal date/time
> would be useful.
>
> Can anyone help?

Stephen Henning

Mr.Bolshoy Huy wrote:
> Happened to me at the wedding recently.
> Day light savings time was up, and the hour got pushed up by 1hr.
> So between 10pm-12 the right wedding date is on the photos, after 12,
> the next day's date is on the photos.
> so half have 4 3 '05, the other half 4 4 '05.

It is not obvious what you are talking about. Some cameras imprint a
time and date on the picture. I don't think you can change that except
in photoshop.

Some cameras store the date in the name of the photo. You can easily
rename the photos. In fact there are programs that will rename an
entire folder of files in batch mode.

Most all digital cameras keep metadata of the f/stop, shutter speed,
date, time and dozens of other things in the photo file. To change this
you need a metadata editor. Here is one:

Genus ViewMinder is a metadata editor for Windows 98, NT, 2k, Me, XP
http://www.tucows.com/preview/341782.html
http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1091471021.html
http://www.graphics.com/modules.php?...ticle&sid=2702

I don't know if it's free version will allow you to edit and save the
metadata. It is worth a try. I don't use windows.

On the Macs there is a free metadata editor called Metadata Hootenanny.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to (E-Mail Removed)
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman