Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Rebel XT Black Costlier than Silver. Why?

Rebel XT Black Costlier than Silver. Why?

Artistry

Does anyone know why the black Canon Rebel XT is running around $65.00 more
than the silver version?

The Canon BG-E3 Vertical Grip/Battery Holder for EOS Digital Rebel XT looks
like it is black. It would visually blend better with the black body. But,
I could put the $65.00 to better use.

John

Because Silver looks like crap.

"Artistry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Qwb7e.57540$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Does anyone know why the black Canon Rebel XT is running around $65.00
> more
> than the silver version?
>
> The Canon BG-E3 Vertical Grip/Battery Holder for EOS Digital Rebel XT
> looks
> like it is black. It would visually blend better with the black body.
> But,
> I could put the $65.00 to better use.

Frank ess

John wrote:
> Because Silver looks like crap.
>

> "Artistry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Qwb7e.57540$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> Does anyone know why the black Canon Rebel XT is running around
>> $65.00 more
>> than the silver version?
>>
>> The Canon BG-E3 Vertical Grip/Battery Holder for EOS Digital Rebel XT
>> looks
>> like it is black. It would visually blend better with the black
>> body. But,
>> I could put the $65.00 to better use.

Judgemental John, with the ready answer.

Fry's had a black kit for $957 yesterday, but it was the display
(abused) model; they'd transferred the only other one to different
store.

--
Frank ess

Roger Moss

Nikon have done this for years - eg Fm2, FE2, etc.

Black was always the Pro's option, as it's much more discrete than silver.

I'd suspect that a black paint job with proper preparation on a brass body
would be more costly to produce than satin plating - but then Canon is
working with (ulp) plastic...

Lesson: fashion costs.

RM

"Artistry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Qwb7e.57540$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Does anyone know why the black Canon Rebel XT is running around $65.00
> more
> than the silver version?
>
> The Canon BG-E3 Vertical Grip/Battery Holder for EOS Digital Rebel XT
> looks
> like it is black. It would visually blend better with the black body.
> But,
> I could put the $65.00 to better use.

Sheldon

"Artistry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Qwb7e.57540$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Does anyone know why the black Canon Rebel XT is running around $65.00
> more
> than the silver version?
>
> The Canon BG-E3 Vertical Grip/Battery Holder for EOS Digital Rebel XT
> looks
> like it is black. It would visually blend better with the black body.
> But,
> I could put the $65.00 to better use.

Black was always the pros choice, and generally costs more in any pro or
semi-pro camera when compared to silver. Back in the good old days the old
Nikons were made of brass and the silver coating was somewhat reflective and
brought more attention to the photographer. The black bodies not only
looked better, but when the black wore off photographers wore their cameras
with the brass showing through like battle ribbons.

Also, as you've noticed, many accessories are black, and match the "pro"
body. I have a motor drive on an old Nikon F, and the camera is silver
while the motor drive is black.

I don't know what's under the silver or black on the Canon . At least on
the Nikon I think the black (plastic) is solid black so it will never wear
off.

Since the black looks more stylish and is considered more "professional
looking," they charge an extra $65 because they can. One nice thing is that
the silver color makes it stand out from all the other SLR's out there.

Bill Crocker

It's the Boner-Bonus factor!

Bill Crocker

"Artistry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Qwb7e.57540$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Does anyone know why the black Canon Rebel XT is running around $65.00
> more
> than the silver version?
>
> The Canon BG-E3 Vertical Grip/Battery Holder for EOS Digital Rebel XT
> looks
> like it is black. It would visually blend better with the black body.
> But,
> I could put the $65.00 to better use.

PhotoMan

"Sheldon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Since the black looks more stylish and is considered more "professional
> looking," they charge an extra $65 because they can. One nice thing is

that
> the silver color makes it stand out from all the other SLR's out there.

In the past the black bodies cost more simply because there were fewer made.
They didn't charge more because they could - it just cost more to make a
lower production unit. I don't know how that applies to plastic bodies. If
the body outer shell is plastic, the plastic itself could be black, and
painting it silver would cost more than leaving them black, in which case
they could charge more for the silver units.

Yip Yap

"Artistry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Qwb7e.57540$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Does anyone know why the black Canon Rebel XT is running around $65.00
> more
> than the silver version?
>
> The Canon BG-E3 Vertical Grip/Battery Holder for EOS Digital Rebel XT
> looks
> like it is black. It would visually blend better with the black body.
> But,
> I could put the $65.00 to better use.

The black version must be in higher demand. IMHO
the black version does look much nicer.

-- Yip

leo

Yip Yap wrote:
> "Artistry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Qwb7e.57540$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>
>>Does anyone know why the black Canon Rebel XT is running around $65.00
>>more
>>than the silver version?
>>
>>The Canon BG-E3 Vertical Grip/Battery Holder for EOS Digital Rebel XT
>>looks
>>like it is black. It would visually blend better with the black body.
>>But,
>>I could put the $65.00 to better use.

> The black version must be in higher demand. IMHO
> the black version does look much nicer.
>
> -- Yip

Yep. Simple supply and demand determined by the merchants. I would think
Canon charges the same price for either one. I just bought a Logitech
RED optical mouse, because it is not only cheaper than the blue one but
also has $10 rebate (RED only, not BLUE).

SimonLW

"Artistry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Qwb7e.57540$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Does anyone know why the black Canon Rebel XT is running around $65.00

more
> than the silver version?
>
> The Canon BG-E3 Vertical Grip/Battery Holder for EOS Digital Rebel XT

looks
> like it is black. It would visually blend better with the black body.

But,
> I could put the $65.00 to better use.

I'd actually prefer the silver one at the lower cost. Black gets so darn hot
when out in the sun.
-S