Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Lowepro AW

Lowepro AW

Vinylmixer

Hi all

I fancy one of the Lowepro backpacks but dont know if I can afford or need a
AW version, the version specifically being the PhotoTrekker AW II and the
PhotoTrekker Classic (no AW).

The questions is how water resistant is the non AW bags, how worried would I
be if rain come on, or how heavy would it need to be to be worried about?

Thanks

If he is so smart, how come he is dead? - Homer Simpson

[BnH]

I use a Compact AW and last time the rain poured on me ... I was soaking wet
and the gear inside is complete dry.
Basically the AW has a rain cover jacket that wrap around your bag .. so
unless it got a hole .. nothing can get in

=bob=

"Vinylmixer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:aT67e.24684$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all
>
> I fancy one of the Lowepro backpacks but dont know if I can afford or need
> AW version, the version specifically being the PhotoTrekker AW II and the
> PhotoTrekker Classic (no AW).
>
> The questions is how water resistant is the non AW bags, how worried would
> be if rain come on, or how heavy would it need to be to be worried about?

Bigguy

Outdoor shop have waterproof backpack covers... or get an army-surplus rain
poncho

Guy

Vinylmixer wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I fancy one of the Lowepro backpacks but dont know if I can afford or
> need a AW version, the version specifically being the PhotoTrekker AW
> II and the PhotoTrekker Classic (no AW).
>
> The questions is how water resistant is the non AW bags, how worried
> would I be if rain come on, or how heavy would it need to be to be
> worried about?
>
> Thanks

Dave

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 10:53:58 GMT, "Vinylmixer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi all
>
>I fancy one of the Lowepro backpacks but dont know if I can afford or need a
>AW version, the version specifically being the PhotoTrekker AW II and the
>PhotoTrekker Classic (no AW).
>
>The questions is how water resistant is the non AW bags, how worried would I
>be if rain come on, or how heavy would it need to be to be worried about?

Plastic bags are cheap.

Vinylmixer

Interesting as the replies are non of them answer my question:

The question is how water resistant is the non AW bags, how worried would I
be if rain come on, or how heavy would it need to be to be worried about?

If he is so smart, how come he is dead? - Homer Simpson
"Vinylmixer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:aT67e.24684$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all
>
> I fancy one of the Lowepro backpacks but dont know if I can afford or need

> AW version, the version specifically being the PhotoTrekker AW II and the
> PhotoTrekker Classic (no AW).
>
> The questions is how water resistant is the non AW bags, how worried would

> be if rain come on, or how heavy would it need to be to be worried about?
>
> Thanks

> If he is so smart, how come he is dead? - Homer Simpson

Sheldon

"Vinylmixer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:_yf7e.189$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Interesting as the replies are non of them answer my question:
>
> The question is how water resistant is the non AW bags, how worried would
> be if rain come on, or how heavy would it need to be to be worried about?

I go the AW not because it was water proof but because the bag had a better
design. I doubt the normal bag would soak right through in a normal rain,
but if you plan on being in a constant rain or climate where the bag is
going to get constantly wet the AW might be a better choice.

Sounds like you are going to have to find someone who has a non AW bag who
got caught in the rain. A better bet might be to check out Lowepro's
Web site and send off an e-mail or give them a call.

Malcolm Stewart

"Vinylmixer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:_yf7e.189$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Interesting as the replies are non of them answer my question:
>
> The question is how water resistant is the non AW bags, how worried would

> be if rain come on, or how heavy would it need to be to be worried about?

I have a (non AW) MiniTrekker, and I have a rucsac, which carries surveying
gear, with one of these AW style raincovers. When I was using the rucsac I
found it was quite difficult to package the equipment, and get the raincover
over the rucsac before a heavy squall hit us. (And, we could see it coming!)
So, great protection at the expense of being able to get at one's equipment.
I certainly wouldn't expect my Mini-Trekker to have stayed dry in the
downpour which then hit us. The main compartment zip on mine has only
slight protection against driven rain, whereas there is a decent overlap for
the zip closing the smaller compartment.

Some years earlier my Minolta X700 failed temporarily when caught in a heavy
rainstorm. And it was protected in 2 plastic bags sealed with elastic
bands. I think condensation got at the circuit boards. Drying out on a
radiator got it back working.
--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Vinylmixer

I have a Nova 1 AW, maybe its time to put it into the rain without the cover
and see how much rain it takes (empty of course), it uses the same
outermaterial as the non AW backpack im interested in

If he is so smart, how come he is dead? - Homer Simpson
"Sheldon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Vinylmixer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:_yf7e.189$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Interesting as the replies are non of them answer my question:
> >
> > The question is how water resistant is the non AW bags, how worried

would
> > be if rain come on, or how heavy would it need to be to be worried

about?

> I go the AW not because it was water proof but because the bag had a

better
> design. I doubt the normal bag would soak right through in a normal rain,
> but if you plan on being in a constant rain or climate where the bag is
> going to get constantly wet the AW might be a better choice.
>
> Sounds like you are going to have to find someone who has a non AW bag who
> got caught in the rain. A better bet might be to check out Lowepro's
> Web site and send off an e-mail or give them a call.

MarkČ

"Vinylmixer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:aT67e.24684$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all
>
> I fancy one of the Lowepro backpacks but dont know if I can afford or need
> AW version,

Perhaps the better question would be:
Can you really afford NOT to have rain protection for your gear?
I know I can't.

I have found the AW features of my Lowe-Pro bags to be absolutely
life-saving for my gear on many many occasions.
You never know when you might find yourself in a real down-pour.
It's saved my gear from sea salt spray, Hawaii downpours, Alaskan storms,
ocean waves, and generally sloppy conditions on many many occasions. I have
three AW bags (backpack and two Orion torso packs--my all-time favorite,
BTW), and it will take a lot to get me to buy anything else.

-Mark

MarkČ

"Vinylmixer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:R7g7e.281$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a Nova 1 AW, maybe its time to put it into the rain without the
>cover
> and see how much rain it takes (empty of course), it uses the same
> outermaterial as the non AW backpack im interested in

AW bags without the cover on soak up water like a sponge.
The AW cover is indispensable in wet/muddy/salt-spray conditions.
Absolutely worth any extra $$.

-Mark