Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > D70 vs D70s?

D70 vs D70s?

Paul Rubin

Has anyone looked at the D70s instructions closely yet? Should I buy
a D70 now, or hold out for the upgrade? I know about the slightly
larger LCD and it's not that big a deal for me. The remote release
socket matters more since I'd like to be able to run the camera from a
foot pedal (copy stand). But its absence isn't a deal killer. What I
really want is metering with MF lenses and none of the D70/D70S/D100
have that. Finally I wonder what people think of the D50. What are
its drawbacks compared to the D70/D70S?

Thanks.

larrylook

"Paul Rubin" <http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Has anyone looked at the D70s instructions closely yet? Should I buy
> a D70 now, or hold out for the upgrade? I know about the slightly
> larger LCD and it's not that big a deal for me. The remote release
> socket matters more since I'd like to be able to run the camera from a
> foot pedal (copy stand). But its absence isn't a deal killer. What I
> really want is metering with MF lenses and none of the D70/D70S/D100
> have that. Finally I wonder what people think of the D50. What are
> its drawbacks compared to the D70/D70S?

This question is above my experitise, but I will make one comment. BTW I
own a D70. I really think, that as a holdover from film days, the
manufacturers give you a small lcd and think you'll be thrilled, since you
had none in film days. BUT the screen is so incredibly helpful in these
digital times it really should be larger! Especially if your over 40 yrs
old. You certainly can't tell on the D70 lcd if your moderately out of
focus and I think you should be able to tell. I think the value of a bigger
lcd is huge and can't be overemphasized. My son is 13 and has eagle eyes,
so maybe not for him, but if your thirty - you'll be 40 in ten years and
maybe you'll still have the camera and your eyes will be older. Then again
in 10 years you'll want a 100MP camera.

Paul Rubin

"larrylook" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> had none in film days. BUT the screen is so incredibly helpful in these
> digital times it really should be larger! Especially if your over 40 yrs
> old. You certainly can't tell on the D70 lcd if your moderately out of
> focus and I think you should be able to tell. I think the value of a bigger
> lcd is huge and can't be overemphasized.

Thanks, yes, an increase from 2" to say 4" would be a big help with that.
But the D70s increase is something like 2" to 2.1", not that big a deal.
You have to use the zoom function to check focus either way.

I've had a series of small point/shoot digicams and am already
reasonably comfortable with the lcd sizes for quick review purposes.
For closer inspection I think it's best to use a computer monitor.

Bubbabob

Paul Rubin <http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Has anyone looked at the D70s instructions closely yet? Should I buy
> a D70 now, or hold out for the upgrade? I know about the slightly
> larger LCD and it's not that big a deal for me. The remote release
> socket matters more since I'd like to be able to run the camera from a
> foot pedal (copy stand). But its absence isn't a deal killer. What I
> really want is metering with MF lenses and none of the D70/D70S/D100
> have that. Finally I wonder what people think of the D50. What are
> its drawbacks compared to the D70/D70S?
>
> Thanks.

Those are the two primary differences. Note that the remote cable itself
is listed as an option and Nikon is being typically coy about its price.
It might be $100 or more.

D50 will only do sRGB colorspace and uses silly little SD cards. Its a
camera for P&S owners who think they're ready for a real camera but
aren't.

Dave Busch

On 12 Apr 2005 14:35:11 -0700, Paul Rubin
<http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Has anyone looked at the D70s instructions closely yet? Should I buy
>a D70 now, or hold out for the upgrade? I know about the slightly
>larger LCD and it's not that big a deal for me. The remote release
>socket matters more since I'd like to be able to run the camera from a
>foot pedal (copy stand). But its absence isn't a deal killer. What I
>really want is metering with MF lenses and none of the D70/D70S/D100
>have that. Finally I wonder what people think of the D50. What are
>its drawbacks compared to the D70/D70S?
>
>Thanks.

It would depend on whether the minimal new features are worth the
extra $200 or so a D70s is likely to cost you. My guess is that the
update will be sold at the old, no-rebate price.

-------------------------------------
Everything I know, and then some:
http://www.auctionmyths.com

Paul Rubin

Bubbabob <rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net> writes:
> Those are the two primary differences. Note that the remote cable itself
> is listed as an option and Nikon is being typically coy about its price.
> It might be $100 or more.

Does it give a part number for the remote cable? I hope they weren't
crazy enough to make a special remote cable for the D70, instead of
using the same MC30 cable that the D1 and so forth use. It's around
$50.

> D50 will only do sRGB colorspace and uses silly little SD cards. Its a
> camera for P&S owners who think they're ready for a real camera but
> aren't.

What colorspace does the D70 use? Is that different from what typical
p/s digicams use? Do you mean the D50 doesn't do RAW? I don't have
anything against SD, but good point, I have several CF cards and it
would be nice to be able to keep using them.

Paul Rubin

Dave Busch <moc.seimmud4latigid@eriafresal> writes:
> It would depend on whether the minimal new features are worth the
> extra $200 or so a D70s is likely to cost you. My guess is that the
> update will be sold at the old, no-rebate price.

I wonder if they can keep that price where it is. Note that the D70
no longer has a rebate, but the regular price seems to have fallen some.
There's still a $100 rebate for the D70 kit with the 18-70 zoom.
I really, really, prefer to not deal with rebates though.

Derek Fountain

> BUT the screen is so incredibly helpful in these
> digital times it really should be larger!

Yes, but to be realistically useful for focus checking it would need to be
larger than the form factor of the camera could handle. The more MP you
have the less of the image detail you can see on the LCD. Even "zooming in"
on playback isn't much use for checking focus of shots on my 20D. The
quality of the LCD screen, especially in daylight, really isn't enough to
display that sort of detail.

The screen is useful for composition checking, the histogram, and checking
to see if a subject blinked, etc. Making it a bit bigger, even quite a bit
bigger, won't make it a lot more useful IMHO.

--
The email address used to post is a spam pit. Contact me at
http://www.derekfountain.org : <a

papenfussDIESPAM@juneauDOTmeDOTvt.edu

: D50 will only do sRGB colorspace and uses silly little SD cards. Its a
: camera for P&S owners who think they're ready for a real camera but
: aren't.

The colorspace on the camera only applies if shooting in JPEG. If shooting
RAW, sRGB vs. AdobeRGB is irrelevant and ignored.

WRT SD cards, they are the small form factor that has won. They're the same
cost per meg as CF, and they're physically small enough to be useful in other devices
(mp3 players, cell phones, etc, etc). The formats to avoid are one-off standards
invented by money-grubbing companies trying to lock you into their stuff (read: Sony
MemoryStick, xD, etc).

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Paul Rubin

> The colorspace on the camera only applies if shooting in JPEG.
> If shooting RAW, sRGB vs. AdobeRGB is irrelevant and ignored.

If sRGB vs. AdobeRGB means standard RGB vs proprietary RGB, don't I
want the standard one?