Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Old beast lens info (300/5.5 prime)

Old beast lens info (300/5.5 prime)

papenfussDIESPAM@juneauDOTmeDOTvt.edu

Hey all... I recently got an old Sears-branded 300mm f/5.5 screwmount
telephoto. From the looks of it, it seems to be identical to a vivitar on ebay like
this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

From the S/N, its alegedly Tokina-built if it's a Vivitar model. Looks a lot
like the second from the right in the back of this pile:
http://www.vermontel.net/~wsalati/Ca...t4_for_two.htm

Does anyone know of this sort of beast? I know a lot of the Vivitars are cult
classic enough to have lots of info on them, but off-off-brand (like the Sears) are
tough to find info on. It seems to take pretty good shots on my *ist-DS, with a bit
of CA on the edges. It doesn't say multicoated on it anywhere, but is it possible it
is, anyway?

Just looking to know if there are any thoughts on an old clunker like this.

Thanks,
-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Paul Mitchum

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hey all... I recently got an old Sears-branded 300mm f/5.5
> screwmount telephoto. From the looks of it, it seems to be identical to a
> vivitar on ebay like this:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=7502072857
> &rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
>
> From the S/N, its alegedly Tokina-built if it's a Vivitar model.
> Looks a lot like the second from the right in the back of this pile:
> http://www.vermontel.net/~wsalati/Ca...t4_for_two.htm
>
> Does anyone know of this sort of beast? I know a lot of the
> Vivitars are cult classic enough to have lots of info on them, but
> off-off-brand (like the Sears) are tough to find info on. It seems to
> take pretty good shots on my *ist-DS, with a bit of CA on the edges. It
> doesn't say multicoated on it anywhere, but is it possible it is, anyway?
>
> Just looking to know if there are any thoughts on an old clunker
> like this.

I found a Sears-branded K-mount 80-200mm/4 zoom at a thrift store
recently. I've been trying to find any information about it since then,
myself. There's not a lot out there. They switched manufacturers a lot,
and apparently no one deems it worthy to track this info down.

That said: I figure this 80-200 is a Ricoh, because I had to modify it
to use with my *ist DS, and a few Google results warn that Ricoh lenses
need this kind of modification. (There's an electrical contact pin that
pokes down into a screw hole on the camera body, making it impossible to
lock the mount closed, and also very difficult to get the lens back
off.)

papenfussDIESPAM@juneauDOTmeDOTvt.edu

: I found a Sears-branded K-mount 80-200mm/4 zoom at a thrift store
: recently. I've been trying to find any information about it since then,
: myself. There's not a lot out there. They switched manufacturers a lot,
: and apparently no one deems it worthy to track this info down.

: That said: I figure this 80-200 is a Ricoh, because I had to modify it
: to use with my *ist DS, and a few Google results warn that Ricoh lenses
: need this kind of modification. (There's an electrical contact pin that
: pokes down into a screw hole on the camera body, making it impossible to
: lock the mount closed, and also very difficult to get the lens back
: off.)

I thought that Ricoh lenses were typically made by a 3rd party, too? WRT your
modification, I've run into that with a Vivitar 28-105 PK/A-R lens from my old P-30T.
I had to file down the flange on it, and while I had the mount off I removed the Ricoh
pin. Now no jamming on the AF hole.

I'm almost sure that the 300mm Sears is a circa 1980 Tokina. It doesn't say
multicoated on it and doesn't have the "rainbow" while looking at an angle, so I
suspect it's not. Still, for free it's not bad...

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

PhotoMan

"Paul Mitchum" <(E-Mail Removed)0m> wrote in message
news:1guupaf.923uaqxovgwwN%(E-Mail Removed)0m...

> I found a Sears-branded K-mount 80-200mm/4 zoom at a thrift store
> recently. I've been trying to find any information about it since then,
> myself. There's not a lot out there. They switched manufacturers a lot,

Sears, JC Penney, K-Mart, et al were supplied by whatever company would make
them cheapest. Don't expect anything of value image-wise.

Paul Mitchum

PhotoMan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Paul Mitchum" <(E-Mail Removed)0m> wrote in message
> news:1guupaf.923uaqxovgwwN%(E-Mail Removed)0m...
>
> > I found a Sears-branded K-mount 80-200mm/4 zoom at a thrift store
> > recently. I've been trying to find any information about it since then,
> > myself. There's not a lot out there. They switched manufacturers a lot,

> Sears, JC Penney, K-Mart, et al were supplied by whatever company would
> make them cheapest. Don't expect anything of value image-wise.

True, they were manufactured by the lowest bidder. And they're not that
great, as lenses go. But in my case, the lens had a one-digit dollar
value on the price tag.

papenfussDIESPAM@juneauDOTmeDOTvt.edu

: > I found a Sears-branded K-mount 80-200mm/4 zoom at a thrift store
: > recently. I've been trying to find any information about it since then,
: > myself. There's not a lot out there. They switched manufacturers a lot,

: Sears, JC Penney, K-Mart, et al were supplied by whatever company would make
: them cheapest. Don't expect anything of value image-wise.

While they're certainly not as good as expensive stuff, it's still better to
have a mediocre prime lens that can reach a subject by itself than to rely on zooms
with multipliers to get there. I wouldn't necessarily dismiss any value from it,
since I can't afford to replace it with anything better.

Also, a lot of third-party lenses were made by and equivalent to more
respected names at the time. It's just harder to find out for sure.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

unholys beast unholy Case Modding 10 10-17-2005 02:41 PM
70-290 a beast? bretski Microsoft Certification 4 02-09-2004 07:31 PM
The BEAST (216) Adam MCSE 9 10-07-2003 01:18 AM
Order of the Beast? Andy MCSE 1 08-16-2003 12:00 AM
Re: Dealing with the BEAST "70-216" Jesse MCSE 8 07-25-2003 10:58 PM

Advertisments