Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > transparency/slides copying - - CHOICE OF SCANNERS ?

transparency/slides copying - - CHOICE OF SCANNERS ?

colin_c_walters@hotmail.com

I would appreciate any advice on points to consider when choosing
a scanner, particularly for this purpose.

TheNewsGuy

On 10 Apr 2005 04:26:29 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I would appreciate any advice on points to consider when choosing
>a scanner, particularly for this purpose.

I am, as we "speak" using a Nikon Coolscan V to archive my 50 years of
slides. I bought it "used" from eBay and will sell it back on eBay
when I am finished.

I do not have the batch slide adapter because I had read from a lot of
users that they bind if the slides are a bit frayed and they can't
really be left unattended. So to save the extra cost am doing
without it.

The purpose of your slide scanning is important. The newer machines
have fantastically high resolution but do you need that? (I don't for
my "snapshots") But if you are displaying prints...

Consider the time it takes to scan at the settings YOU will use.
Although Nikon claims a 38 second scan, on the CS V, that is without
ICE, at 8-bit, or without other pre-processing. With ICE on "normal"
and at 14 bit I am getting about three minutes per scan. That's a
long time for 1500 slides. But ICE is worth it. I do most at 8-bit
unless I have a special image. I thought my slides would be clean and
free of dust or spots since they have been in Carousel boxes all these
years. NOPE! Without ICE I had to "clean" my first batch in
Photoshop. So now I process all with ICE.

I am happier scanning with no ehancements set in the scanning software
and then post processing individually in Photoshop.

I have 512MB in my PC and can scan slides while surfing the 'Net,
reading Newsgroups, or processing in Photoshop. I would not use other
applications while scanning with any less memory.

So, I am new at this but am pleased with the results so far.

Hope that helps a little.

I will happy to read other more experienced user's advice too.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ The News Guy(Mike) - Seinfeld Lists
+ (two mirrored sites)
+ http://membres.lycos.fr/tnguym
+ http://wave.prohosting.com/tnguym NOWTHISWORKS
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Addenuf

It may be worth considering a Scan Elite or similar with a slide carrier.
My 5400 can take 4 slides or 6 negatives. Unattended scanning, albeit for
relatively brief periods is a real bonus especially whe you have many
slides/negatives to scan.
Mind you, my first scanner developed and error and was replaced after 6
months and 3000+ slides. The latest one has done over 1000 so far and
whilst I was going to put it on ebay my family keep "finding" more and more
dusty boxes of mildewed slides and pressed negatives!
HTH
DP

Ken_B

It just happens that scanners are rated in this month's issue of Consumer
reports, and the review included scanners that will do film and slides.

The two they recommend for this is Epson Perfection 4180 Photo, and Microtek
ScanMaker s400. The Epson is more expensive, but faster according to the
article.

Hope this helps.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I would appreciate any advice on points to consider when choosing
> a scanner, particularly for this purpose.

Mike

<(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
(E-Mail Removed). com...
>I would appreciate any advice on points to consider when choosing
> a scanner, particularly for this purpose.

PrimeFilm 1800 u from Pacific Image Electronics
http://www.scanace.com/en/product/product.php

Tests results here (negatives):

http://dhost.info/photocanon/mai1968/index.htm

and here (slides) :
http://dhost.info/photocanon/diapos/index.htm

Bet it has resolution enough for your needs.
Not expensive.

--
Mike

Gautam Majumdar

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 00:41:21 +0100, Mike wrote:

> <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
> (E-Mail Removed). com...
>>I would appreciate any advice on points to consider when choosing
>> a scanner, particularly for this purpose.
>>

> PrimeFilm 1800 u from Pacific Image Electronics
> http://www.scanace.com/en/product/product.php

Now there is a 3600 model which includes digital ICE. Very good results.

--

Gautam Majumdar

Please send e-mails to (E-Mail Removed)

Stewy

In article <zQi6e.10957$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
> (E-Mail Removed). com...
> >I would appreciate any advice on points to consider when choosing
> > a scanner, particularly for this purpose.
> >

> PrimeFilm 1800 u from Pacific Image Electronics
> http://www.scanace.com/en/product/product.php
>

> Tests results here (negatives):
>
> http://dhost.info/photocanon/mai1968/index.htm
>
> and here (slides) :
> http://dhost.info/photocanon/diapos/index.htm
>

> Bet it has resolution enough for your needs.
> Not expensive.

If that resolution is not enough, take a look at the next step - Minolta
Dimage IV. It'll also take APS films. The next (and best) scanner on the
market is the Nikon Coolscan (various models) with a great filter for
getting rid of dust spots, scratches and tramlines.

The post treatment of slides and negs is even more time-consuming than
the original scan - you'll be surprised how much crud and dust settles
on film despite careful handling.

If you've switched to digital, then your stock of negs and slides is
finite and you can always re-sell your scanner on ebay - maybe you can
get a used one there too.

David Chien

1) search www.deja.com - lots of prior posts on this topic.
2) www.imaging-resource.com -> scanners - lots of scanners compared and
reviewed.
http://www.jamesphotography.ca/bakeo...t_results.html -
lots of recent ones tested for resolution. you can see the difference
between scanners made today
3) Digital ICE is recommended if you have dust on film & don't want to
do a lot of touch up post-scan.
4) w/o Digital ICE, Minolta Scan Dual IV is the best 'beginner's'
scanner cheap - as low as $209 from www.shopper.com search eg. buydig.com
5) w/digital ICE, you might as well buy the world's best - Minolta 5400
II with the highest resolution in a <$1000 consumer level scanner. Only
$525 at pagecomputers.com from shopper.com price searching. You won't
get a scanner with better resolution than this baby, and you certainly
will be wasting money on anything else (eg. Nikons, etc. - they'll have
lower resolution, poor quality, etc.).
6) Expect to sit and wait - any of these will take about 5 minutes per
frame to do a full pre-scan, tweak of controls, scan, touch-up, and
save. Longer if you've got more tweaks or digital ICE going. It's
never a fast process, and here, outsourcing to a local scan shop may be
more economical (even at $5 per frame! if you don't have that many rolls
of film to do). Scan shops can do a great job at this because they know
what to do to get the best image.
Here, outsourcing to a local print lab that has the ability to scan
films into their digital film printers (eg. Noritsu) at a lower res.
(Picture CD quality - 1.5MP or so), is also doable for $1-2 max per
frame if absolute quality isn't important.

meow

I bought a Nikon Coolscan IV off Ebay a few years ago, they have digital Ice
and should be only a couple hundred dollars now. I'm very happy with it.

news:d3emkm$cnm$(E-Mail Removed)...