Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > recover corrupt JPG's after downloaded from CF card ?

recover corrupt JPG's after downloaded from CF card ?

RS

I was travelling in India and downloading / backing up my Nikon's CF cards
(a Sandisk Regular; Sandisk Ultra; a Lexar 12X) ... by means of a
Microsolutions "RoadStore". It worked fine last year ... and it worked fine
this year ... except for one time !

I don't know which card it was, but when I look at that one directory of
pics, I see normal size "JPG" files ... but I cannot open them in anything.
Well, if I force them to open, I see "colored snow". Interestingly, if I
preview them with Photoshop Elements, I can see thumbnails of the "lost"
files. I can see the pics that I cannot open !!

I talked to the Microsolutions tech people and they said to try a certain
data recover program that I could download a trial version of, from a
certain site. I did that, but it didn't work on my files. I phoned the maker
of the recovery program and the tech told me that it only worked IF THE
FILES WERE STILL ON THE CF CARD.

Once they were copied off onto a CDR and the CF card re-formatted ... the
recovery program could not do its magic. The tech also said that it was
probably due to a defective CF card ... also that it was NOT a good idea to
delete files in the camera ... that this could upset the apple cart of a
"questionable" CF card ... that it was better to just leave them on the CF
card and delete them after backup/downloading was done.

Question: Has anyone had any experience with salvaging corrupt JPGs that
are on a CDR ?

Thanks !

-RS-

Ken Weitzel

RS wrote:
> I was travelling in India and downloading / backing up my Nikon's CF cards
> (a Sandisk Regular; Sandisk Ultra; a Lexar 12X) ... by means of a
> Microsolutions "RoadStore". It worked fine last year ... and it worked fine
> this year ... except for one time !
>
> I don't know which card it was, but when I look at that one directory of
> pics, I see normal size "JPG" files ... but I cannot open them in anything.
> Well, if I force them to open, I see "colored snow". Interestingly, if I
> preview them with Photoshop Elements, I can see thumbnails of the "lost"
> files. I can see the pics that I cannot open !!
>
> I talked to the Microsolutions tech people and they said to try a certain
> data recover program that I could download a trial version of, from a
> certain site. I did that, but it didn't work on my files. I phoned the maker
> of the recovery program and the tech told me that it only worked IF THE
> FILES WERE STILL ON THE CF CARD.
>
> Once they were copied off onto a CDR and the CF card re-formatted ... the
> recovery program could not do its magic. The tech also said that it was
> probably due to a defective CF card ... also that it was NOT a good idea to
> delete files in the camera ... that this could upset the apple cart of a
> "questionable" CF card ... that it was better to just leave them on the CF
> card and delete them after backup/downloading was done.
>
> Question: Has anyone had any experience with salvaging corrupt JPGs that
> are on a CDR ?
>
> Thanks !
>
> -RS-

Hi RS...

Sorry to hear of your loss. Couple of suggestions, if I may?

How about copying the entire cd in one swell foop to a directory
on your hard drive? Perhaps you'll be able to see some or all
of them that way.

Then again, perhaps the copy will continue only so far and hang.
If so, you'll probably get at least some of your pics.

If that doesn't work for you then if the pics are sufficiently
important to you, you might want to try loading the whole
thing into a hex editor. Search out jpeg headers and footers,
and copy each and every one into a new file with a unique name.

Good luck.

Ken

stratus46@yahoo.com

Apparently you've not tried Photo Rescue. Formatting a CF memory card,
does NOT erase the data (at least with a Kodak DC-3400, Fuji S602 and
S7000) It just erases the file names and marks the sectors available.
Erasure only happens when new data is written. I.E if you sell a used
CF card and think you erased the pictures by formatting, Photo Rescue
(and presumably others) can recover the pictures. If the card hasn't
been used since, get a copy of Photo Rescue. When I bought mine, it was
$30 (and still is)

http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/

How to unmangle the .JPG data on a CDR is a totally different issue and
may not be possible.

Good luck
GG

Rudy Benner

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Apparently you've not tried Photo Rescue. Formatting a CF memory card,
> does NOT erase the data (at least with a Kodak DC-3400, Fuji S602 and
> S7000) It just erases the file names and marks the sectors available.
> Erasure only happens when new data is written. I.E if you sell a used
> CF card and think you erased the pictures by formatting, Photo Rescue
> (and presumably others) can recover the pictures. If the card hasn't
> been used since, get a copy of Photo Rescue. When I bought mine, it was
> $30 (and still is)
>
> http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/
>
> How to unmangle the .JPG data on a CDR is a totally different issue and
> may not be possible.
>
> Good luck
> GG

Zero Assumption Digital Image Recovery is free.
http://www.z-a-recovery.com/?source=i_r_about

-RS-

> Apparently you've not tried Photo Rescue. Formatting a CF memory card,
> does NOT erase the data (at least with a Kodak DC-3400, Fuji S602 and
> S7000) It just erases the file names and marks the sectors available.
> Erasure only happens when new data is written. I.E if you sell a used
> CF card and think you erased the pictures by formatting, Photo Rescue
> (and presumably others) can recover the pictures. If the card hasn't
> been used since, get a copy of Photo Rescue. When I bought mine, it was
> $30 (and still is)
>
> http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/
>
> How to unmangle the .JPG data on a CDR is a totally different issue and
> may not be possible.
>
> Good luck
> GG

Thanks, but the error happened fairly early in a 5 week travel and shoot
trip ... i.e., the card was totally re-written on several times since
then. All the data I have from the card is on several CDR's.

-RS-

-RS-

Rudy Benner wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>
>>Apparently you've not tried Photo Rescue. Formatting a CF memory card,
>>does NOT erase the data (at least with a Kodak DC-3400, Fuji S602 and
>>S7000) It just erases the file names and marks the sectors available.
>>Erasure only happens when new data is written. I.E if you sell a used
>>CF card and think you erased the pictures by formatting, Photo Rescue
>>(and presumably others) can recover the pictures. If the card hasn't
>>been used since, get a copy of Photo Rescue. When I bought mine, it was
>>$30 (and still is)
>>
>>http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/
>>
>>How to unmangle the .JPG data on a CDR is a totally different issue and
>>may not be possible.
>>
>>Good luck
>>GG
>>

> Zero Assumption Digital Image Recovery is free.
> http://www.z-a-recovery.com/?source=i_r_about

Thanks, I will download and try the Zero product ... however from what I
read on the "about" page, it looks like it is also meant to work with
original media itself ... and sadly, this had been totally re-written on
several times since the bad batch of images. The CF card itself must be
"marginal" and seems to work fine unless one deletes a pic or two in
the camera (as the tech I mentioned in my original post, said).

So it comes down to "JPG file recovery" rather than "digital camera file
recovery".

-RS-

-RS-

Ken Weitzel wrote:

>> Hi RS...

> Sorry to hear of your loss. Couple of suggestions, if I may?
>
> How about copying the entire cd in one swell foop to a directory
> on your hard drive? Perhaps you'll be able to see some or all
> of them that way.
>
> Then again, perhaps the copy will continue only so far and hang.
> If so, you'll probably get at least some of your pics.
>
> If that doesn't work for you then if the pics are sufficiently
> important to you, you might want to try loading the whole
> thing into a hex editor. Search out jpeg headers and footers,
> and copy each and every one into a new file with a unique name.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Ken

Yes, I was doing a folder-by-folder copy from the CDR onto the hard disk
when it first complained that it could not copy certain files. What
would be a good way to do a one-fell-swoop copy of the CDR to the hard
drive? "X-copy" ? I have not used that for some time, but I must have a
DOS reference book somewhere ... to help me get the parameters right .

The Hex editor idea would probably be the best idea I've heard so far
.... if I was familiar with such editors. I didn't quite follow your
suggestion about the headers and footers: Are they the part that is
likely to be damaged? Do I want to keep them ... or the stuff that is
between the header & footer ?? Perhaps I can find a true geek
(programmer who does machine-level programming) to help me ! Yes, the
images are important: a very fancy wedding in the Punjab, India that I
was invited to take photos at.

-RS-

Pierre Vandevennne

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:1113109592.913779.211380
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> CF card and think you erased the pictures by formatting, Photo Rescue
> (and presumably others) can recover the pictures. If the card hasn't
> been used since, get a copy of Photo Rescue. When I bought mine, it was
> $30 (and still is)
>
> http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/
>
> How to unmangle the .JPG data on a CDR is a totally different issue and
> may not be possible.

Yes, that is a totally different issue. Once the data is wrongly copied to
another media, there is no practical way of fixing it. The key thing to
understand here is that if a picture made of 4 blocks A B C D is wrongly
copied as A B D, and if C is missing or even wrongly copied to another
picture as C E F G H there is no way to correct the situation.

Even very minor, single byte corruptions might be hard to fix. One has to
determine which byte is wrong, and then discriminate among all the possible
fixes which picture would be aesthetically correct.

While I can see ways to address the last problem, just as I can see ways to
improve on the auto defragmentation we use, these solutions would require
_a lot_ of computing power, resources and patience, several orders of
magnitude bigger than what the average user now has.

Pierre/PhotoRescue

Ken Weitzel

-RS- wrote:
> Ken Weitzel wrote:
>

>>> Hi RS...

>> Sorry to hear of your loss. Couple of suggestions, if I may?
>>
>> How about copying the entire cd in one swell foop to a directory
>> on your hard drive? Perhaps you'll be able to see some or all
>> of them that way.
>>
>> Then again, perhaps the copy will continue only so far and hang.
>> If so, you'll probably get at least some of your pics.
>>
>> If that doesn't work for you then if the pics are sufficiently
>> important to you, you might want to try loading the whole
>> thing into a hex editor. Search out jpeg headers and footers,
>> and copy each and every one into a new file with a unique name.
>>
>> Good luck.
>>
>> Ken
>>

> Yes, I was doing a folder-by-folder copy from the CDR onto the hard disk
> when it first complained that it could not copy certain files. What
> would be a good way to do a one-fell-swoop copy of the CDR to the hard
> drive? "X-copy" ? I have not used that for some time, but I must have a
> DOS reference book somewhere ... to help me get the parameters right .
>
> The Hex editor idea would probably be the best idea I've heard so far
> ... if I was familiar with such editors. I didn't quite follow your
> suggestion about the headers and footers: Are they the part that is
> likely to be damaged? Do I want to keep them ... or the stuff that is
> between the header & footer ?? Perhaps I can find a true geek
> (programmer who does machine-level programming) to help me ! Yes, the
> images are important: a very fancy wedding in the Punjab, India that I
> was invited to take photos at.
>
> -RS-

Hi...

Good, making progress. We now know that it's the media
itself that's at fault. You either bought a flawed blank CD,
or the burner wasn't up to par, or finally that it somehow
was damaged a bit in storage/transportation.

I'd humbly suggest that were it mine, I'd try reading it again.
Each time the "retry" option came up I'd click it over and over
again. Keep at it until your clicking finger gets sore
I've seen success finally after a dozen tries.

Should that not work, I'd next try enlisting neighbors, friends,
and family. Visit for a coffee, and see if their reader won't
read it. Try for a mix of qualities if you can find them;
from the latest and greatest 52x combo dvd/cd reader to the
oldest slowest available. There is a possibility that the
one in India may have been just a bit different from ours.
Worth trying.

If still no luck, examine the cd carefully in bright sunlight.
Fingerprints? A stuck speck of dust? A tiny scratch?
Remember that the most sensitive surface is not the one you'd
expect - the "label" side is far and away the most critical.
If you find marks, I'd recommend cleaning it by washing hands
thoroughly. Then with a gentle flow of lukewarm body temp
water wetting the cd - both sides. Touch a bar of hand soap
with the tip of your finger, and *gently* wipe the cd. Wipe
from the center outwards to the rim. Both sides. Then rinse
well with gently tepid water. *Pat* dry with a lint free cloth.
Don't rub.

Then repeat the your reader; other readers thing.

If still nothing, then a hex editor is quite simple to use.
I'd recommend winhex, though there are others. They'll give
you a free demo to try, though it will be crippled (won't save)
It will show you what it will do once paid for while crippled.

A jpeg header is an essential part of the file; it includes
information about how the file is compressed. Every jpeg
begins with (hex) FFD8, and ends with FFD9.

One final thought, another fellow here has (or hopefully had)
a sorta similar problem (though hd based) He appeared to be
dedicated and skilled, and may be willing to share what he's
learned with you. He used a "no-spam" kind of address, but
if you write another message with the subject PING: PlainBill
he may notice it and offer to help you out.

Hopefully others too will offer suggestions.

Take care.

Ken

mort

Hi,

When I recently purchased several SanDisk Extreme CF cards, they came with a 3"
CD-R containing a program called RescuePro, which is supposed to rescue
problematic card images. If you have no luck with other programs, then contact
me at:
(E-Mail Removed)
and I'll be glad to snailmail you a copy of the RescuePro disc to your mailing
address.

Good luck.

Morton