Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > The lowdown on iPIX

Reply
Thread Tools

The lowdown on iPIX

 
 
DJAurand
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-09-2005
iPIX no longer offers its software that uses a $25 "Key" to produce
each Full 360x360 Image. Although they still support it and sell Keys.
The Keys for their Real Estate Wizard, a lower level product, are only
$20 for 5 keys.

The iPIX Interactive Studio is sold as a one year license that can
produce an unlimited number of images for a year. There is then a
reduced renewel fee.

Even so iPIX is not cheap software. $899 for the basic one year license
with 2 add-on modules available at $499 each. With the Formatter module
the iPIX Interactive Studio can output in Quicktime Cubic Panorama,
Equirectangular Projection, Cubic Strip, Shockwave w3d and of course
their propriatary .ipx format. The Enhancer module has image editing
tools for touching up the images right in the Interactive Studio.
They're pretty powerfull.

But for some one in the business of producing multimedia for the
Internet, that wants to offer Virtual Images for a fee, there's really
no other pratical choice;

Most of the hotel companies only support iPIX; Sheraton, Westin,
Hilton, Doubletree, Wyndham, Radisson and Marriott. If you want to sell
one of these hotels Virtual Images, iPIX is the only one they accept or
the one they prefer.

iPIX is one of the 3 Virtual Image Formats supported by Homestore.com,
who distributes Virtual Tours to Realtor.com, ColdwellBanker.com,
ERA.com, Century21.com, PrudentialRealEstate.com, REMAX.com and
GMACRealEstate.com. Without fast distributuion, a virtual tour of a
home for sale is useless.

Some of the other virtual image software is very good, especially
Quicktime VR. I use PhotoVista for printed panoramas.

But iPIX is really the only choice for the serious Multimedia Producer
that wants to do virtual imaging business with major companies.

If you're only going to make a few Virtual Images for fun or a hobby,
you should go with another company.

Yes I'm an iPIX Virtual Tour photographer. Take a look ate my demo
website at www.VirtualAlbuquerque.com

Douglas Aurand
Albuquerque, NM

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Keith
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-09-2005
DJAurand <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> iPIX no longer offers its software that uses a $25 "Key" to produce
> each Full 360x360 Image. Although they still support it and sell Keys.
> The Keys for their Real Estate Wizard, a lower level product, are only
> $20 for 5 keys.
>
> The iPIX Interactive Studio is sold as a one year license that can
> produce an unlimited number of images for a year. There is then a
> reduced renewel fee.
>
> Even so iPIX is not cheap software. $899 for the basic one year license
> with 2 add-on modules available at $499 each. With the Formatter module
> the iPIX Interactive Studio can output in Quicktime Cubic Panorama,
> Equirectangular Projection, Cubic Strip, Shockwave w3d and of course
> their propriatary .ipx format. The Enhancer module has image editing
> tools for touching up the images right in the Interactive Studio.
> They're pretty powerfull.
>
> But for some one in the business of producing multimedia for the
> Internet, that wants to offer Virtual Images for a fee, there's really
> no other pratical choice;
>
> Most of the hotel companies only support iPIX; Sheraton, Westin,
> Hilton, Doubletree, Wyndham, Radisson and Marriott. If you want to sell
> one of these hotels Virtual Images, iPIX is the only one they accept or
> the one they prefer.
>
> iPIX is one of the 3 Virtual Image Formats supported by Homestore.com,
> who distributes Virtual Tours to Realtor.com, ColdwellBanker.com,
> ERA.com, Century21.com, PrudentialRealEstate.com, REMAX.com and
> GMACRealEstate.com. Without fast distributuion, a virtual tour of a
> home for sale is useless.
>
> Some of the other virtual image software is very good, especially
> Quicktime VR. I use PhotoVista for printed panoramas.
>
> But iPIX is really the only choice for the serious Multimedia Producer
> that wants to do virtual imaging business with major companies.
>
> If you're only going to make a few Virtual Images for fun or a hobby,
> you should go with another company.
>
> Yes I'm an iPIX Virtual Tour photographer. Take a look ate my demo
> website at www.VirtualAlbuquerque.com
>
> Douglas Aurand
> Albuquerque, NM


This is *******s - most real VR photographers would not touch iPix with
a barge pole - the quality is simply not there - as well as their
predatory / rip-off the photographer attitide. This subject has been
done to death in many other forums.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bart van der Wolf
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-10-2005

"Keith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1gus09q.1876vz8pqjsgsN%(E-Mail Removed)...
> DJAurand <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

SNIP
>> But iPIX is really the only choice for the serious Multimedia
>> Producer that wants to do virtual imaging business with
>> major companies.

SNIP
>
> This is *******s - most real VR photographers would not touch
> iPix with a barge pole - the quality is simply not there - as well
> as their predatory / rip-off the photographer attitide.


Indeed, see
http://swpat.ffii.org/patente/wirkun.../index.en.html.

> This subject has been done to death in many other forums.


But it can't be stressed enough, they are bad news for progress in VR
photography.

Bart

 
Reply With Quote
 
DJAurand
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-10-2005
Then why does iPIX continue to be the technology of choice for so many
major Real Estate and Corporate Hotel websites?

I've expanded from Real Estate Tours to Hotel Tours and in a year and a
half I did 9 hotels in 4 states; a Hilton, a Sheraton, a Wyndham, two
Radissons, a Marriott and three independent hotels/resorts. Over 60
Images at $150 each

How many tours did you provide to a major hotel or real estate website
in the last year and a half

 
Reply With Quote
 
DJAurand
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-10-2005
Bart
iPIX's patents have been repeatedly upheld in US Federal Court.

They own the US patent and they protect it

They haven't lost a single case.

What part of that don't you get?

Doug

 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul Rubin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-10-2005
"DJAurand" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> They own the US patent and they protect it
>
> They haven't lost a single case.
>
> What part of that don't you get?


They threatened Helmut Dersch (author of Panorama Tools) with a bogus
infringement claim and backed down when he stood up to them, because
they knew they would lose if they pressed it. But that they hassled
him at all with such crap, even without going to court and losing,
shows the predatory attitude which is why many of us think they belong
in hell.
 
Reply With Quote
 
DJAurand
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-10-2005
So why does iPIX still hold the patent in the US and not Mr Dersch?

My understanding of the infringement case was that they settled out of
court and that Mr Dersch agreed to not market (sell) his product in the
US. That's why he gives it away on the net.

What you call predatory I call agressive.

Hypothetical Question: A franchisor of 10 Sheraton hotels, all in your
state, likes your work but needs the virtual images in the iPIX format
since StarwoodHotels.com only supports that format. Thats 10 hotels
needing 10 images each at $150 each or $15,000 plus expenses.
Are you going turn down the contract?

I find too many Virtual Tour Photographers are great "artists" and
lousy business people. Their Virtual Tour businesses are little more
than a hobby that generates a little income, because they hold opinions
like yours about something they had no part of.

You probably think Microsoft is the "Evil Empire" too?

 
Reply With Quote
 
Unclaimed Mysteries
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-10-2005
DJAurand wrote:

> Bart
> iPIX's patents have been repeatedly upheld in US Federal Court.
>
> They own the US patent and they protect it
>
> They haven't lost a single case.
>
> What part of that don't you get?
>
> Doug
>


First, my compliments on your courage of sorts. Defending iPIX can't be
the easiest way to win friends.

Second, the USPTO is bizarre and deranged. These are the same folks that
have granted a patent to someone for inventing a "method for swinging on
a swing." Couple their track record with the US Courts' scattershot
competence and it's not hard to imagine that with a break or two and
some slick lawyering a company such as iPIX can gain a reputation for
"innovation." Even if their main treasure leans on prior art going back
to, hell, GERHARD FREAKING MERCATOR(1512-1594).

Third, resistance is futile. They have rightfully earned a nasty
reputation for harassing people all over the world (COUGH Helmut Dersch
COUGH). But hey, you're riding their wave and I guess that one's gotta
do what one's gotta do to keep from wiping out. I didn't know that
included admitting in public that you are their iBiyatch, though.

Fourth, they are based in KNOXVILLE. They live in the same city as THE
GREAT ORANGE SATAN PHIL FULMER. Need I go on?

Corry
--
It Came From C. L. Smith's Unclaimed Mysteries.
http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net

Of course I went to law school. - Warren Zevon, "Mr. Bad Example"
 
Reply With Quote
 
DJAurand
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-10-2005
Corry
Welcome to the real world of business; You can ride the wave or be down
by it.

Kind of like Microsoft and Macintosh, isn't? You can go with the big
player or be a small fry

Oh, by the way, they're in Oak Ridge not Knoxville

 
Reply With Quote
 
Unclaimed Mysteries
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-10-2005
DJAurand wrote:
> Corry
> Welcome to the real world of business; You can ride the wave or be down
> by it.
>
> Kind of like Microsoft and Macintosh, isn't? You can go with the big
> player or be a small fry


This is soooo 1998.

Since you brought up Microsoft and by implication similar business
models, let me ask you:

1) Is your endorsement of iPIX based entirely upon pragamatism - that
is, because your clients demand it?

2) If a viable alternative were available, *and* these clients were open
to your use of it, would you consider it? If yes, under what circumstances?

3) Would you consider an open source-based system under any circumstances?

With these questions I'm trying to understand your apparent enthusiasm
for this company which by its vicious barratry has driven honest,
creative people practically underground. To me, supporting iPIX is
neither good for innovation nor business, at least not in the long term.

> Oh, by the way, they're in Oak Ridge not Knoxville
>


I stand corrected.

Corry
--
It Came From C. L. Smith's Unclaimed Mysteries.
http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: iPIX Virtual Tour Digital Camera Kit. John Digital Photography 1 06-02-2011 04:46 PM
Ipix plugin Paul Blarmy Firefox 5 02-13-2005 07:16 PM
IPIX photo shooting (RePosting) SGershon Digital Photography 0 02-24-2004 03:54 PM
IPIX photo shooting SGershon Digital Photography 0 02-22-2004 11:43 AM
iPix Forum or Newsgroup Scott Digital Photography 1 10-05-2003 12:16 AM



Advertisments