Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > DON'T ENLIST IN THE ARMY: YOU COULD BE KILLED OR MAIMED FOR NOTHING

DON'T ENLIST IN THE ARMY: YOU COULD BE KILLED OR MAIMED FOR NOTHING

Ilya Shambat

Don't buy into the recruiting bullshit, it's just a nationalistic form
of mental illness. You want your balls getting shot off for a bunch of
corrupt oil and service companies? You won't be a knight. You'll be a
slave, cannon fodder.

Get an education, serve your fellow man. You can't do any good when
you're six feet under. Don't believe the hype.

RTO Trainer

On 6 Apr 2005 18:17:35 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Ilya
Shambat) wrote:

>Don't buy into the recruiting bullshit, it's just a nationalistic form
>of mental illness. You want your balls getting shot off for a bunch of
>corrupt oil and service companies? You won't be a knight. You'll be a
>slave, cannon fodder.
>
>Get an education, serve your fellow man. You can't do any good when
>you're six feet under. Don't believe the hype.

That's funny. I got an education and I am serving my fellow man.

And those who end up six-feet under often have provided the greatest
service in keeping that fate from befalling another.

---
COFFEE.EXE missing
Insert CUP and press ENTER to retry.

Signaleer http://signaleer.blogspot.com
This Day in U.S. Military History http://tdiumh.blogspot.com

Ron Hunter

Ilya Shambat wrote:
> Don't buy into the recruiting bullshit, it's just a nationalistic form
> of mental illness. You want your balls getting shot off for a bunch of
> corrupt oil and service companies? You won't be a knight. You'll be a
> slave, cannon fodder.
>
> Get an education, serve your fellow man. You can't do any good when
> you're six feet under. Don't believe the hype.

Thank your for your opinion. Now go tell it to someone who cares about
your opinion.

You have the right to post this opinion because brave men and women died
to give it to you, and to protect it.

--
Ron Hunter (E-Mail Removed)

Clyde Torres

"Ilya Shambat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Don't buy into the recruiting bullshit, it's just a nationalistic form
> of mental illness. You want your balls getting shot off for a bunch of
> corrupt oil and service companies? You won't be a knight. You'll be a
> slave, cannon fodder.
>
> Get an education, serve your fellow man. You can't do any good when
> you're six feet under. Don't believe the hype.

I don't know what country you are from and what country's Army you are
talking about, but I proudly servd in the U.S. Air Force and would do it
again. I wouldn't serve in YOUR Air Force, though, so I don't blame you for
saying what you said. Your country's government is probably corrupt and
that's a dam good reason to get away from them as soon as possible.

Clyde Torres
Ex U.S. Air Force Sargeant, 4 years
GI Bill - Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering
Saw the World On Uncle Sam's Nickel
Worked On Some Pretty Cool Stuff That You Have No Idea Existed
Helped Defend The Country That Provides Me And Others With The Best
Resources
Others Before Me Provided For Me So I Paid Them Back

Sid9

Clyde Torres wrote:
> "Ilya Shambat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>> Don't buy into the recruiting bullshit, it's just a nationalistic
>> form of mental illness. You want your balls getting shot off for a
>> bunch of corrupt oil and service companies? You won't be a knight.
>> You'll be a slave, cannon fodder.
>>
>> Get an education, serve your fellow man. You can't do any good when
>> you're six feet under. Don't believe the hype.

> I don't know what country you are from and what country's Army you are
> talking about, but I proudly servd in the U.S. Air Force and would do
> it again. I wouldn't serve in YOUR Air Force, though, so I don't
> blame you for saying what you said. Your country's government is
> probably corrupt and that's a dam good reason to get away from them
> as soon as possible.
> Clyde Torres
> Ex U.S. Air Force Sargeant, 4 years
> GI Bill - Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering
> Saw the World On Uncle Sam's Nickel
> Worked On Some Pretty Cool Stuff That You Have No Idea Existed
> Helped Defend The Country That Provides Me And Others With The Best
> Resources
> Others Before Me Provided For Me So I Paid Them Back

1,550+ 11,000 wounded = 16,550 casualties.
About 150,000 troops in Iraq.

11% casualty rate for a "Slam Dunk" operation?
Is that acceptable?

jimpgh2002

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 22:52:02 -0400, "Sid9" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Clyde Torres wrote:
>> "Ilya Shambat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>>> Don't buy into the recruiting bullshit, it's just a nationalistic
>>> form of mental illness. You want your balls getting shot off for a
>>> bunch of corrupt oil and service companies? You won't be a knight.
>>> You'll be a slave, cannon fodder.
>>>
>>> Get an education, serve your fellow man. You can't do any good when
>>> you're six feet under. Don't believe the hype.

>> I don't know what country you are from and what country's Army you are
>> talking about, but I proudly servd in the U.S. Air Force and would do
>> it again. I wouldn't serve in YOUR Air Force, though, so I don't
>> blame you for saying what you said. Your country's government is
>> probably corrupt and that's a dam good reason to get away from them
>> as soon as possible.
>> Clyde Torres
>> Ex U.S. Air Force Sargeant, 4 years
>> GI Bill - Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering
>> Saw the World On Uncle Sam's Nickel
>> Worked On Some Pretty Cool Stuff That You Have No Idea Existed
>> Helped Defend The Country That Provides Me And Others With The Best
>> Resources
>> Others Before Me Provided For Me So I Paid Them Back

>1,550+ 11,000 wounded = 16,550 casualties.
>About 150,000 troops in Iraq.
>
>11% casualty rate for a "Slam Dunk" operation?
>Is that acceptable?

Your logic is faulty. There may be 150,000 troops there at
any given moment, but they are rotated. There have been far more than
150,000 DIFFERENT people serving there and the casualty rate is
nowhere near 11%.

RTO Trainer

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 22:52:02 -0400, "Sid9" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Clyde Torres wrote:
>> "Ilya Shambat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>>> Don't buy into the recruiting bullshit, it's just a nationalistic
>>> form of mental illness. You want your balls getting shot off for a
>>> bunch of corrupt oil and service companies? You won't be a knight.
>>> You'll be a slave, cannon fodder.
>>>
>>> Get an education, serve your fellow man. You can't do any good when
>>> you're six feet under. Don't believe the hype.

>> I don't know what country you are from and what country's Army you are
>> talking about, but I proudly servd in the U.S. Air Force and would do
>> it again. I wouldn't serve in YOUR Air Force, though, so I don't
>> blame you for saying what you said. Your country's government is
>> probably corrupt and that's a dam good reason to get away from them
>> as soon as possible.
>> Clyde Torres
>> Ex U.S. Air Force Sargeant, 4 years
>> GI Bill - Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering
>> Saw the World On Uncle Sam's Nickel
>> Worked On Some Pretty Cool Stuff That You Have No Idea Existed
>> Helped Defend The Country That Provides Me And Others With The Best
>> Resources
>> Others Before Me Provided For Me So I Paid Them Back

>1,550+ 11,000 wounded = 16,550 casualties.
>About 150,000 troops in Iraq.
>
>11% casualty rate for a "Slam Dunk" operation?
>Is that acceptable?

150,000 troops in Iraq at any one time.

So far about 1,000,000 troops have rotated through assuming that about
1/3 of the total (1.3 million) have been more than once.

Makes your casualty rate closer to 1.5%

---
COFFEE.EXE missing
Insert CUP and press ENTER to retry.

Signaleer http://signaleer.blogspot.com
This Day in U.S. Military History http://tdiumh.blogspot.com

Daryl Hunt

"RTO Trainer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 6 Apr 2005 18:17:35 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (Ilya
> Shambat) wrote:
>
> >Don't buy into the recruiting bullshit, it's just a nationalistic form
> >of mental illness. You want your balls getting shot off for a bunch of
> >corrupt oil and service companies? You won't be a knight. You'll be a
> >slave, cannon fodder.
> >
> >Get an education, serve your fellow man. You can't do any good when
> >you're six feet under. Don't believe the hype.

> That's funny. I got an education and I am serving my fellow man.
>
> And those who end up six-feet under often have provided the greatest
> service in keeping that fate from befalling another.

That is a really BAD response to an obvious fruitcake. Try another track.

Yes, by all means, go get that Education. Everyone benefits from College
even if you choose to join the military later. Do it before you join
though. Night School is not the way to go. For some, it may be the only
way to obtain the degree and I suggest they do take that route.

To quote a very popular Folk Hero General, (I will probably misquote it)
"It's not up to you to die for your country but to make the other Son of a
Bitch die for his." The quote is not exact but the meaning is quite clear.

When the US Military is having a 20 to 1 kill ratio, the enemy runs out of
troops long before the US Military runs out of Troops.

Some should be part of the Military and some should not. It's, by and
large, a choice one makes on their own.

Daryl Hunt

"Sid9" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Sd15e.30619$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Clyde Torres wrote:
> > "Ilya Shambat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> >> Don't buy into the recruiting bullshit, it's just a nationalistic
> >> form of mental illness. You want your balls getting shot off for a
> >> bunch of corrupt oil and service companies? You won't be a knight.
> >> You'll be a slave, cannon fodder.
> >>
> >> Get an education, serve your fellow man. You can't do any good when
> >> you're six feet under. Don't believe the hype.

> > I don't know what country you are from and what country's Army you are
> > talking about, but I proudly servd in the U.S. Air Force and would do
> > it again. I wouldn't serve in YOUR Air Force, though, so I don't
> > blame you for saying what you said. Your country's government is
> > probably corrupt and that's a dam good reason to get away from them
> > as soon as possible.
> > Clyde Torres
> > Ex U.S. Air Force Sargeant, 4 years
> > GI Bill - Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering
> > Saw the World On Uncle Sam's Nickel
> > Worked On Some Pretty Cool Stuff That You Have No Idea Existed
> > Helped Defend The Country That Provides Me And Others With The Best
> > Resources
> > Others Before Me Provided For Me So I Paid Them Back

> 1,550+ 11,000 wounded = 16,550 casualties.
> About 150,000 troops in Iraq.
>
> 11% casualty rate for a "Slam Dunk" operation?
> Is that acceptable?

11%? I estimate that there have been about 1 million now that have come and
gone in both Afganistan and Iraq by now. Your figures are a decimel point
off. It's closer to 1.4%

Colin Campbell

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 03:11:03 GMT, jimpgh2002
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>1,550+ 11,000 wounded = 16,550 casualties.
>>About 150,000 troops in Iraq.
>>
>>11% casualty rate for a "Slam Dunk" operation?
>>Is that acceptable?
>>

> Your logic is faulty. There may be 150,000 troops there at
>any given moment, but they are rotated. There have been far more than
>150,000 DIFFERENT people serving there and the casualty rate is
>nowhere near 11%.

Another thing to ask is just what you consider a 'casualty.'

That 11,000 number refers to the number of purple hearts awarded. Now
when you consider that most people who 'earn' a purple heart are
classified as RTD (Return To Duty) after medical treatment . . .

--
There can be no triumph without loss.
No victory without suffering.