Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Olympus E300 OR Canon Rebel XT (350) ?

Olympus E300 OR Canon Rebel XT (350) ?

Fr@nk

I saw an kit with 14-45 and 40-150 plus body from olympus, which has an 8MP
full size sensor.

Or better take the Canon 350 D ? (also 8MP) (bit more expensive)

Or can't I compare them, any experiences with the Oly ?

Thanks for your input

Lourens Smak

In article <336a2$4253ee18$3e3b2a30$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
"Fr@nk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I saw an kit with 14-45 and 40-150 plus body from olympus, which has an 8MP
> full size sensor.
>
> Or better take the Canon 350 D ? (also 8MP) (bit more expensive)
>
> Or can't I compare them, any experiences with the Oly ?

You can compare them, they are direct competitors in specifications and
price. Both have specific stronger and weaker points; both will be very
capable of making good images. Try them out side by side if possible,
things like handling are important and very personal. Some will find the
350D too small, others will find E300 too big, etc.
A German magazine tested all "cheap" kitlenses in a recent edition and
the Olympus 14-45 was best of the bunch. The extra 40-150 lens is nice
because using other lenses is the whole point of owning a DSLR... Thanks
to the Olympus dust-solution you can also actually change lenses out in
the field.

For experiences see http://www.myfourthirds.com for many E1 and E300
images. usually the lens used is mentioned with an image. There is a
sister-site for Canon too, see "pixelcritic" link on the page.

Lourens

Ron

Just got an e-300 after a lot of procrastination. My reasons for it were
to some degree personal -- familiarity with the Oly menu system, a lot
of extra batteries, dedicated flash units, etc. I read a lot of reviews
and especially appreciate the Wrotniak site http://www.wrotniak.net/ for
an in-depth look at the e system. My main usability issue is having
faster firing and lower noise. And access to fine Oly lenses. So far so
good. My non-Oly flash units work fine, I'm getting very good expsoures
with the kit lens, and resolution is top knotch down to the lower HQ
settings. Noise at 400 and under is nowwere to be seen and the camera is
built like a tank. Because I shoot around construction sites the noise
filter is a very attractive feature and, in fact, should be a
determining one all things considered (having scratched an SLR mirror
once I learned my lesson the hard way).

Good luck with your choice.

Lourens Smak wrote:
> In article <336a2$4253ee18$3e3b2a30$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
> "Fr@nk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I saw an kit with 14-45 and 40-150 plus body from olympus, which has an 8MP
>>full size sensor.
>>
>>Or better take the Canon 350 D ? (also 8MP) (bit more expensive)
>>
>>Or can't I compare them, any experiences with the Oly ?

> You can compare them, they are direct competitors in specifications and
> price. Both have specific stronger and weaker points; both will be very
> capable of making good images. Try them out side by side if possible,
> things like handling are important and very personal. Some will find the
> 350D too small, others will find E300 too big, etc.
> A German magazine tested all "cheap" kitlenses in a recent edition and
> the Olympus 14-45 was best of the bunch. The extra 40-150 lens is nice
> because using other lenses is the whole point of owning a DSLR... Thanks
> to the Olympus dust-solution you can also actually change lenses out in
> the field.
>
> For experiences see http://www.myfourthirds.com for many E1 and E300
> images. usually the lens used is mentioned with an image. There is a
> sister-site for Canon too, see "pixelcritic" link on the page.
>
> Lourens

Alfred Molon

In article <336a2$4253ee18$3e3b2a30$(E-Mail Removed)> , Fr@nk
says...

http://myolympus.org/E300/
http://myolympus.org/
--

Alfred Molon

Dirty Harry

"Ron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:LYU4e.3$(E-Mail Removed)...
Because I shoot around construction sites the noise
filter is a very attractive feature and, in fact, should be a
determining one all things considered (having scratched an SLR mirror
once I learned my lesson the hard way).

can u elaborate? I don't get what you mean.
--
www.harryphotots.com - small construction gallery here...

RK

Holy cow, a typo on my part and sorry for that and confusion (first
time I ever did that ) I was referring not to noise, but DUST
filter on Oly's. Maybe technically not a 'filter' but a bit of high
speed shaking which removes most dust from the sensor. This said, I
also find that for indoor shots which require available light the dslr
has lower noise at ISO 400 and above than P&S's, though I have
generally been able to take care of that in post-processing. Thanks for
pointing out my mistake.

Dirty Harry wrote:
> "Ron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:LYU4e.3$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Because I shoot around construction sites the noise
> filter is a very attractive feature and, in fact, should be a
> determining one all things considered (having scratched an SLR mirror
> once I learned my lesson the hard way).
>
> can u elaborate? I don't get what you mean.
> --
> www.harryphotots.com - small construction gallery here...

nesredep egrob

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 16:11:22 +0200, "Fr@nk" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I saw an kit with 14-45 and 40-150 plus body from olympus, which has an 8MP
>full size sensor.
>
>Or better take the Canon 350 D ? (also 8MP) (bit more expensive)
>
>Or can't I compare them, any experiences with the Oly ?
>

>Thanks for your input

Used mine for 14 days now - very impressed with the speed of auto
focus. Can take a picture within 1 sec of switching on - very
impressive - also the use of the flash for getting focus set after
dark.

I am also the owner of a Canon S1 and use that as a basis for my
comparison. A little difficult though to hold the long lens for shots
in low light - but there is the use of the high ISO and the noise
filter. I bought mine as I needed a DSLR and chose the Olympus because
of the super sonic cleaning, needed for cleaning the CCD.

Incidentally the noise filter (called Noise Reduction by Olympus) is a
function for reducing the noise in the picture when using high ISO's
like 800 or 1600. the dust remover is another thing all together - do
not confuse the two.

B.Pedersen Latitude -31,48.21 Longitude115,47.40 Time=GMT+8.00
If you are curious look here http://www.mapquest.com/maps/latlong.adp

Steve Green

wrote:
>I saw an kit with 14-45 and 40-150 plus body from olympus, which has an 8MP
>full size sensor.
>Or better take the Canon 350 D ? (also 8MP) (bit more expensive)
>Or can't I compare them, any experiences with the Oly ?

Here's a review of the Rebel XT--it contains a direct comparison with
the E300. Pay close attention to page 19. The Oly has LOTS more
noise at ISOs above 400.

It's too bad--I had high hopes for the E-series Olys, as they handled
so nicely. However, they seem to make the same mistakes over and
over--noisy sensors, slow autofocus (slow operation in general), and
overpriced accessories.

Steve Green

Keith

Steve Green <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 16:11:22 +0200, "Fr@nk" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
> >I saw an kit with 14-45 and 40-150 plus body from olympus, which has an 8MP
> >full size sensor.
> >Or better take the Canon 350 D ? (also 8MP) (bit more expensive)
> >Or can't I compare them, any experiences with the Oly ?

> Here's a review of the Rebel XT--it contains a direct comparison with
> the E300. Pay close attention to page 19. The Oly has LOTS more
> noise at ISOs above 400.
>
> It's too bad--I had high hopes for the E-series Olys, as they handled
> so nicely. However, they seem to make the same mistakes over and
> over--noisy sensors, slow autofocus (slow operation in general), and
> overpriced accessories.
>

> Steve Green

Some peoples mistakes are others design features... knowing about these
issues I still bought an Olympus DSLR - I prefer the tonal range, OK
forget that, I just prrefer the photos I was able to take with the Oly
compared to other choices, I am very happy with what it can do, high ISO
perfomance is not an issue for me, I hardly ever go above ISO 100, it
might be for you of course!

Autofocus is fine with the latest firmware fix, though I never had a
problem before. Not sure about the overpriceed accessories though, the
ones I have purchased seem very high quality and provide good VFM.

You do seem to have a lot of knowledge about a camera you don't care
much about - how many photos have to taken with it? I must confess I
know nothing about the other makes, never really read the reviews, etc.
Too busy taking photos and other things!! Life is too short to worry
about these things...

Happy shooting.

nesredep egrob

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 09:26:19 -0700, Steve Green
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 16:11:22 +0200, "Fr@nk" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>>I saw an kit with 14-45 and 40-150 plus body from olympus, which has an 8MP
>>full size sensor.
>>Or better take the Canon 350 D ? (also 8MP) (bit more expensive)
>>Or can't I compare them, any experiences with the Oly ?

>Here's a review of the Rebel XT--it contains a direct comparison with
>the E300. Pay close attention to page 19. The Oly has LOTS more
>noise at ISOs above 400.
>
>It's too bad--I had high hopes for the E-series Olys, as they handled
>so nicely. However, they seem to make the same mistakes over and
>over--noisy sensors, slow autofocus (slow operation in general), and
>overpriced accessories.
>

>Steve Green

Your statement about the 'slow autofocus' put the whole of your
argument in doubt - what are you talking about - autofocus on the E300
is unbelieveable fast and focus in total darkness assisted by the
flash is instantaneous.

Borge, Perth
Pentium P4 2.4Ghz, 1 Gb memory, 600 GB space
Olympus 2100UZ, Pentax Optio S, Canon S1+ Olympus E300.