Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon Capture download speed

Nikon Capture download speed

claus

Hi, everybody!

I am using a D70 and hoped to get some kind of live-review of the
images taken on an attached laptop. To my dismay I had to find that
when I take a shot (either on camera or via capture) it takes capture
3s to find out there's something new and further 2 to 7 seconds (basic
to raw) to get the data. Showing still takes it's time, so we end up
at 12seconds with the image viewing.

This seems to be quite independent of the system, tried on several PCs
and Laptops from USB1.1 P3@600MHz to USB2.0 P-@1800MHz.

Nikon support told me D70 only transmits at 12mbit/sec, while D2X
pushes at 480mbit/sec. With 12mbit a 5MB raw image should take
(8*5)/12=3.3seconds to transmit, 1MB basic quality jpg 0.8s. But 12
seconds differs still widely from 3.3seconds.

Has anyone of you out there experienced different times? I hoped to
get myself a laptop and use it as enhanced control in- and outdoors,
but with such long durations it's not that attractive to me (taking
into concern the weight of a laptop ).

Any data or opinions?

Thank you.
Claus

Destin_FL

I find EVERYTHING about Nikon Capture to be painfully, excrutiatingly slow....
and everything about Corel's RawShooter to be amazingly fast.

http://www.pixmantec.com/products/ra...ssentials.html

Tim

"claus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
[...]

Ed Ruf

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 13:20:36 -0500, in rec.photo.digital "Destin_FL"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I find EVERYTHING about Nikon Capture to be painfully, excrutiatingly slow....
>and everything about Corel's RawShooter to be amazingly fast.
>
>http://www.pixmantec.com/products/ra...ssentials.html

If you like it so much, you might wish to credit the correct company.
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com

paul

Destin_FL wrote:

> I find EVERYTHING about Nikon Capture to be painfully, excrutiatingly slow....
> and everything about Corel's RawShooter to be amazingly fast.
>
> http://www.pixmantec.com/products/ra...ssentials.html
>
> Tim

So that includes remote capture utility? I assume it would not be able
to access camera settings, just trigger the shutter?

I think the way to go with Capture is to shoot basic jpeg & open with
Irfanview or ACDsee or your choice to evaluate the image then switch to
RAW when you're happy. Not much latitude if you change your mind. I've
also shot RAW + basic & preview the jpeg while the RAW downloads. Either
way I don't let Capture open it in the Nikon viewer other than the
thumbnail on the progress box.

It's very cool having full control of the camera's settings but akward
to go back & forth to the camera on a tripod to change the framing &
back to the laptop. If you could have live preview & control zoom & pan
it'd be a dream <grin>. Automatic lens-changer would be nice too.

It's also hard to see the laptop screen in most lighting conditions
without hiding under a tent or umbrella.