Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Getting used to my Canon 300D

Getting used to my Canon 300D

Progressiveabsolution

Well,

I decided I had to see what it was all about. I came from a decent P&S
camera and have seen images with both posted on the web. It is very
interesting to see some very good photos by both types of camera: DSLR
and P&S. For me, it took about 3-4 photos shoots to get used to and
see what the image resolution was all about. Since I mainly did
landscapes w/sunsets, I had to get some sunset sessions in to compare.
Note: I have not gotten into any of the technical stuff, just using the
lens from the 300D kit, and not using any manual features. What I have
seen so far is nothing short of amazing (with all variables
considered). The photos just look so resolved, detailed, realistic,
artistic (with some flower shots I've done), and plainly more
sophisticated. In my only brief comparisons (again, I haven't even put
a better lens on or figured out what this thing is truly capable
of)...the photos from the DSLR makes my P&S ones look generic. The
only problem I now face is that I know it would be a major setback and
downgrade to ever go back to P&S (problem being the cons of DSLR such
as heavier gear, etc.). However, the artform of photography with the
use of the SLR format has struck me and will now be a life long
process.

I wish to thank the people that responded to my post. It was very kind
of you all to do that and I wish you many years of fun!!!

Bill Crocker

What P&S camera are you comparing it to? I ask, because there are many P&S
cameras that are just a capable, if not more so, of taking great
photographs.

Bill Crocker

"Progressiveabsolution" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Well,
>
> I decided I had to see what it was all about. I came from a decent P&S
> camera and have seen images with both posted on the web. It is very
> interesting to see some very good photos by both types of camera: DSLR
> and P&S. For me, it took about 3-4 photos shoots to get used to and
> see what the image resolution was all about. Since I mainly did
> landscapes w/sunsets, I had to get some sunset sessions in to compare.
> Note: I have not gotten into any of the technical stuff, just using the
> lens from the 300D kit, and not using any manual features. What I have
> seen so far is nothing short of amazing (with all variables
> considered). The photos just look so resolved, detailed, realistic,
> artistic (with some flower shots I've done), and plainly more
> sophisticated. In my only brief comparisons (again, I haven't even put
> a better lens on or figured out what this thing is truly capable
> of)...the photos from the DSLR makes my P&S ones look generic. The
> only problem I now face is that I know it would be a major setback and
> downgrade to ever go back to P&S (problem being the cons of DSLR such
> as heavier gear, etc.). However, the artform of photography with the
> use of the SLR format has struck me and will now be a life long
> process.
>
> I wish to thank the people that responded to my post. It was very kind
> of you all to do that and I wish you many years of fun!!!

Confused

In message <(E-Mail Removed) .com>
"Progressiveabsolution" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Well,
>
> I decided I had to see what it was all about.
> using the lens from the 300D kit, and not using any manual features.
> What I have seen so far is nothing short of amazing

Yup... you did the same thing I did for the same
reasons, and you got hooked as quickly as I did...

990 --> F717 --> 300D

Here come the lenses... have fun! ;^)

I now keep the 300D with a 28mm f2.8 with me as
a second camera and backup for a 20D.

Jeff

Pete D

Oh Bill how wrong you are, there is no way any other camera could take a
good photo!

"Bill Crocker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> What P&S camera are you comparing it to? I ask, because there are many
> P&S cameras that are just a capable, if not more so, of taking great
> photographs.
>
> Bill Crocker
>

> "Progressiveabsolution" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> Well,
>>
>> I decided I had to see what it was all about. I came from a decent P&S
>> camera and have seen images with both posted on the web. It is very
>> interesting to see some very good photos by both types of camera: DSLR
>> and P&S. For me, it took about 3-4 photos shoots to get used to and
>> see what the image resolution was all about. Since I mainly did
>> landscapes w/sunsets, I had to get some sunset sessions in to compare.
>> Note: I have not gotten into any of the technical stuff, just using the
>> lens from the 300D kit, and not using any manual features. What I have
>> seen so far is nothing short of amazing (with all variables
>> considered). The photos just look so resolved, detailed, realistic,
>> artistic (with some flower shots I've done), and plainly more
>> sophisticated. In my only brief comparisons (again, I haven't even put
>> a better lens on or figured out what this thing is truly capable
>> of)...the photos from the DSLR makes my P&S ones look generic. The
>> only problem I now face is that I know it would be a major setback and
>> downgrade to ever go back to P&S (problem being the cons of DSLR such
>> as heavier gear, etc.). However, the artform of photography with the
>> use of the SLR format has struck me and will now be a life long
>> process.
>>
>> I wish to thank the people that responded to my post. It was very kind
>> of you all to do that and I wish you many years of fun!!!

Progressiveabsolution

Maybe you didn't read this part of my post, " It is very
interesting to see some very good photos by both types of camera: DSLR
and P&S."

I just stated "my" own opinion on what I have achieved personally as
well as what I have seen posted on the web (especially recently since I
started this thread).

I don't care to start a debate, but I'm curious what P&S camera can
produce images like this guy's...if you know of one, I would gladly be
willing to use it...

http://www.michaeledwardsphoto.com