Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6G Autofocus

Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6G Autofocus

AK

Could someone who has this lens let me know roughly what its length is when
its fully extended (300 mm)? I have the Sigma 70-300 Macro, and at 300 mm
its a long and heavy lens - I'm looking for something for my D70 in the 300
mm range that doesn't become unwieldy at full focal length.

Thanks

Alan

Sheldon

"AK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Could someone who has this lens let me know roughly what its length is
> when its fully extended (300 mm)? I have the Sigma 70-300 Macro, and at
> 300 mm its a long and heavy lens - I'm looking for something for my D70 in
> the 300 mm range that doesn't become unwieldy at full focal length.
>
> Thanks
>
> Alan

I can't give you the length, but the Nikon lens is pretty light. I've
played with one but don't have one myself.

Bigguy

5.5" at shortest, 7.25" fully extended, 9" fuly extended with lens hood.
Have to say it's a pretty poor lens.. very soft at wide open at 300mm.
I never use mine as it is so soft...

Guy

AK wrote:
> Could someone who has this lens let me know roughly what its length
> is when its fully extended (300 mm)? I have the Sigma 70-300 Macro,
> and at 300 mm its a long and heavy lens - I'm looking for something
> for my D70 in the 300 mm range that doesn't become unwieldy at full
> focal length.
> Thanks
>
> Alan

Tom Scales

That's why I own the 70-300D
"Bigguy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> 5.5" at shortest, 7.25" fully extended, 9" fuly extended with lens hood.
> Have to say it's a pretty poor lens.. very soft at wide open at 300mm.
> I never use mine as it is so soft...
>
> Guy
>
> AK wrote:
>> Could someone who has this lens let me know roughly what its length
>> is when its fully extended (300 mm)? I have the Sigma 70-300 Macro,
>> and at 300 mm its a long and heavy lens - I'm looking for something
>> for my D70 in the 300 mm range that doesn't become unwieldy at full
>> focal length.
>> Thanks
>>
>> Alan

Roger Moss

I have the straight ED model (i.e. non-G series), which extends to a maximum
of 150mm from bayonet to front element ring - to which you'll no doubt add
the std lenshood dimensions while in use. Nice and light, though, and I use
it on my D79 with no problems. I simply live with the effective focal length
difference due to the CCD being smaller than the 24x36 film area of 35mm.

RM