Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > CIsco 2620XM failover question

CIsco 2620XM failover question

ckane

have a 2600 which has dual wics . A T1 Wic going to Sprint and a
Ethernet Wic connected to a SatLink.

We want to setup a failover. I thought OSPF might work but it failed
to fail over.

The network is basic. A 2950 Connects (internal net) connects to a
SonicWall which connect to the 2620XM. The 260XM is connected to
Sprint via the T1 and DirecWay via Ethernet.

When and if the T1 goes down, we need it to switch over to the DirecWay
for the internal users to be able to access the internet.

What routing protocols would work (OSPF, BGP, etc). There are no
upstream routers or downstream routers (Upstream are all managed so
cannot be configured). We just need the 2600 to failover to the
DirecWay.

Please provide solution if you can.

Buzz Lightbeer

"ckane" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> have a 2600 which has dual wics . A T1 Wic going to Sprint and a
> Ethernet Wic connected to a SatLink.
>

> We want to setup a failover. I thought OSPF might work but it failed
> to fail over.
>

> The network is basic. A 2950 Connects (internal net) connects to a
> SonicWall which connect to the 2620XM. The 260XM is connected to
> Sprint via the T1 and DirecWay via Ethernet.
>

> When and if the T1 goes down, we need it to switch over to the DirecWay
> for the internal users to be able to access the internet.
>

> What routing protocols would work (OSPF, BGP, etc). There are no
> upstream routers or downstream routers (Upstream are all managed so
> cannot be configured). We just need the 2600 to failover to the
> DirecWay.
>

> Please provide solution if you can.

Is there any reson why weighted static routes would not work ? (Assuming you
see you primary interface go down)

Merv

check out

Reliable Static Routing Backup Using Object Tracking

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...0801d862d.html

Vincent C Jones

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
Merv <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>check out
>
>Reliable Static Routing Backup Using Object Tracking
>
>http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...0801d862d.html

A good solution if the T1 does not fail reliably at the link level
when it becomes unusable (if the T1 does fail reliably, a simple
floating static would do the job). Not a useful solution if the
2620XM is also doing NAT and the translations are not identical on
both upstream interfaces. Been there, done that, been burnt.

http://www.networkingunlimited.com

ckane

The router has two static IP address(es) and no nating is being done on
the the router.

I applied two weighted static IPs to the interfaces, but was not sure
if the router would failover properly. I've read that the static IP
scheme would work on say, dual serial connections reliably but not on 1
serial and 1 ethernet.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Chris

ckane <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>The router has two static IP address(es) and no nating is being done on
>the the router.
>
>I applied two weighted static IPs to the interfaces, but was not sure
>if the router would failover properly. I've read that the static IP
>scheme would work on say, dual serial connections reliably but not on 1
>serial and 1 ethernet.
>
>Thank you for the suggestions.
>
>Chris

As I read your original requirements, the only time the Ethernet ISP
will be used is when the T1 ISP is down, so there is no need to
dynamically detect when the Ethernet ISP is down (but you do need to
routinely test or it won't be up when you do need it).

You also need to address how your T1 ISP will detect when the
T1 is down and what steps they will take to route traffic coming
back into you over to the Ethernet ISP. TCP/IP only works if both
directions still work. Note that this is automatic if your Ethernet
ISP interface/modem/router/black box or whatever uses NAT to change
the return address to something unique to that link, although this
approach has the side effect of taking down all sessions when a switch
over occurs.

As you can probably tell by the answers so far, there are a lot of
alternative solutions whose utility and effectiveness depend upon
the exact details of how you have your connections set up and what
your usage requirements are. For example, there is a huge difference
between protecting the ability of inside users to reach the Internet
for web browsing and serving up web pages to the general public. So
far, all the solutions being discussed have been for the former
and would leave you high and dry if you needed the latter.

http://www.networkingunlimited.com

cisco ASA/PIX failover and VPN, failover IP access problem Pit Cisco 0 08-27-2008 03:34 PM
Cisco 2620XM + IOS 12.4(8) + Verizon DSL w/Westell C90 Modem Stuart Cisco 0 05-11-2007 12:48 PM
2620XM Failover ?? ckane Cisco 1 10-20-2005 12:59 AM
2620XM Failover??? ckane Cisco 0 10-19-2005 05:49 PM
Stateful NAT failover = yes. Stateful CBAC failover = ???? Alec Waters Cisco 0 06-09-2004 01:38 PM

Advertisments