Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Non-Canon photo papers for PIXMA iP8500?

Non-Canon photo papers for PIXMA iP8500?

tomviolin

I just purchased a Canon PIXMA iP8500.

Does anyone have any experience using inkjet photo papers other than
Canon brand in this or a similar printer? For example, Kodak papers or
store brands like Office Max photo paper?

I have found the Canon-brand papers to be more expensive with less
variety than, say, HP.

I do have some HP glossy Brochure and Flyer paper lying around, but I
just can't get acceptable results with it on the Canon.

Help, Anyone?

Burt

I have a canon i960 (six color photo printer) and have had beautiful results
with Costco Kirkland photo glossy paper, 125 sheets @ $19. Epson glossy
photo paper does well with canon inks as well, and the Epson matte double
sided paper is quite good for greeting cards or anything else you want to
print double sided. The back side of the costco paper will not take ink at
all. The epson glossy photo paper has a very faint logo printed in a repeat
pattern on the back, non-glossy side. You can print both sides of this
paper and the logo printed on the back is so faint that most people don't
notice it. I have not liked Kodak paper for my Epson printer or the canon
i960, and there is no need for me to even consider it as the papers I have
mentioned above satisfy my printing needs.

"tomviolin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I just purchased a Canon PIXMA iP8500.
>
> Does anyone have any experience using inkjet photo papers other than
> Canon brand in this or a similar printer? For example, Kodak papers or
> store brands like Office Max photo paper?
>
> I have found the Canon-brand papers to be more expensive with less
> variety than, say, HP.
>
> I do have some HP glossy Brochure and Flyer paper lying around, but I
> just can't get acceptable results with it on the Canon.
>
> Help, Anyone?

measekite

I have tried Canon Photo Paper Pro, Surething, and Office Depot paper
printing the same professional photograph supplied by Adobe. Office
Depot was ok. Surething was good but the Canon Photo Paper Pro was just
superb. The Canon paper was like glass and the Surething should some
texture.

I also have but have not tried Costco Kirkland Glossy photo paper. I
have not spent any effort on determining who makes it but it is made in
Switzerland and Ilford has a plant there as well. It may be Ilford
Gallerie Paper. I hear it is good.

I also heard that people are having trouble with Kodak paper when using
Canon printers.

tomviolin wrote:

>I just purchased a Canon PIXMA iP8500.
>
>Does anyone have any experience using inkjet photo papers other than
>Canon brand in this or a similar printer? For example, Kodak papers or
>store brands like Office Max photo paper?
>
>I have found the Canon-brand papers to be more expensive with less
>variety than, say, HP.
>
>I do have some HP glossy Brochure and Flyer paper lying around, but I
>just can't get acceptable results with it on the Canon.
>
>Help, Anyone?

measekite

Burt wrote:

>I have a canon i960 (six color photo printer) and have had beautiful results
>with Costco Kirkland photo glossy paper, 125 sheets @ $19. Epson glossy
>photo paper does well with canon inks as well

While Canon Tech support claims that Canon Photo Paper Pro is superior
they too told me in writing that Epson Paper produces good results with
Canon Printers using OEM ink.

>, and the Epson matte double
>sided paper is quite good for greeting cards or anything else you want to
>print double sided. The back side of the costco paper will not take ink at
>all. The epson glossy photo paper has a very faint logo printed in a repeat
>pattern on the back, non-glossy side. You can print both sides of this
>paper and the logo printed on the back is so faint that most people don't
>notice it. I have not liked Kodak paper for my Epson printer or the canon
>i960, and there is no need for me to even consider it as the papers I have
>mentioned above satisfy my printing needs.
>
>"tomviolin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) roups.com...
>

>>I just purchased a Canon PIXMA iP8500.
>>
>>Does anyone have any experience using inkjet photo papers other than
>>Canon brand in this or a similar printer? For example, Kodak papers or
>>store brands like Office Max photo paper?
>>
>>I have found the Canon-brand papers to be more expensive with less
>>variety than, say, HP.
>>
>>I do have some HP glossy Brochure and Flyer paper lying around, but I
>>just can't get acceptable results with it on the Canon.
>>
>>Help, Anyone?

measekite

tomviolin wrote:

>I just purchased a Canon PIXMA iP8500.
>
>Does anyone have any experience using inkjet photo papers other than
>Canon brand in this or a similar printer? For example, Kodak papers or
>store brands like Office Max photo paper?

Do not use Kodak. Ilford it is said is good. People with Canon
printers have also used Costco/Kirkland made in Switzerland glossy.
That may be made by Ilford also located in Switzerland for some of its
production.

>I have found the Canon-brand papers to be more expensive with less
>variety than, say, HP.

While expensive, Canon Photo Paper Pro is the best I have seen so far.

>I do have some HP glossy Brochure and Flyer paper lying around, but I
>just can't get acceptable results with it on the Canon.
>
>Help, Anyone?

ssnazzy9

I have been using the Ilford Gallerie purchased at my local Sam's Club
and it is excellent. I have a Canon i960 and a Pixma 3000 - but only
use the i960 for photos. I made some side by side comparisons and to my
eyes, the Ilford Gallerie is better than the Canon papers. I read about
it on one of these forums - but don't remember which one.

ssnazzy9 wrote:

>I have been using the Ilford Gallerie purchased at my local Sam's Club
>and it is excellent. I have a Canon i960 and a Pixma 3000 - but only
>use the i960 for photos. I made some side by side comparisons and to my
>eyes, the Ilford Gallerie is better than the Canon papers.

What Canon papers are you referring to. Canon Photo Paper Pro is their
top of the line. They also make a cheaper Photo Paper Plus.

>I read about
>it on one of these forums - but don't remember which one.
>
>"tomviolin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) roups.com...
>I just purchased a Canon PIXMA iP8500.
>
>Does anyone have any experience using inkjet photo papers other than
>Canon brand in this or a similar printer? For example, Kodak papers or
>store brands like Office Max photo paper?
>
>I have found the Canon-brand papers to be more expensive with less
>variety than, say, HP.
>
>I do have some HP glossy Brochure and Flyer paper lying around, but I
>just can't get acceptable results with it on the Canon.
>
>Help, Anyone?

Patrick

> Does anyone have any experience using inkjet photo papers other than
> Canon brand in this or a similar printer? For example, Kodak papers or
> store brands like Office Max photo paper?
>
> I have found the Canon-brand papers to be more expensive with less
> variety than, say, HP.
>
> I do have some HP glossy Brochure and Flyer paper lying around, but I
> just can't get acceptable results with it on the Canon.

I've used Canon, Kodak, Fuji, and Folex paper with the Canon i850 and now
the IP5000.

Forget about Kodak - I tried one pack and have never used it since.

Canon paper gives great prints but as you said is expensive.
Fuji gave me prints close to Canon and was cheaper. I now print a lot of 6x4
as I now mount them in albums and have settled on Folex. I find their paper
gives excellent results and is a good balance between cost/quality. Once the
print is dry I spray them with Lysons 'Print Guard' which makes them water
resistant and give it some UV protection ( I held one test print under
running water, and it just beads and runs off. Dried it with a towel and
you'd never know it had been near water.)
I don't buy direct from them as I can get it cheaper from a re-seller (here
in the uk).

I'm not sure where you are but here is a link for Folex main site that tells
you all about the paper and what formets they do.

http://www.folex.com/

Hope this helps,

Patrick

Bruce Coryell

I've had good results using OfficeMax papers (both glossy and matte) on
a Pixma iP4000. Haven't tried Ilford.

ssnazzy9 wrote:
> I have been using the Ilford Gallerie purchased at my local Sam's Club
> and it is excellent. I have a Canon i960 and a Pixma 3000 - but only
> use the i960 for photos. I made some side by side comparisons and to my
> eyes, the Ilford Gallerie is better than the Canon papers. I read about
> it on one of these forums - but don't remember which one.
>
> "tomviolin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I just purchased a Canon PIXMA iP8500.
>
> Does anyone have any experience using inkjet photo papers other than
> Canon brand in this or a similar printer? For example, Kodak papers or
> store brands like Office Max photo paper?
>
> I have found the Canon-brand papers to be more expensive with less
> variety than, say, HP.
>
> I do have some HP glossy Brochure and Flyer paper lying around, but I
> just can't get acceptable results with it on the Canon.
>
> Help, Anyone?

measekite

Patrick wrote:

>>Does anyone have any experience using inkjet photo papers other than
>>Canon brand in this or a similar printer? For example, Kodak papers or
>>store brands like Office Max photo paper?
>>
>>I have found the Canon-brand papers to be more expensive with less
>>variety than, say, HP.
>>
>>I do have some HP glossy Brochure and Flyer paper lying around, but I
>>just can't get acceptable results with it on the Canon.
>>

>I've used Canon, Kodak, Fuji, and Folex paper with the Canon i850 and now
>the IP5000.
>
>Forget about Kodak - I tried one pack and have never used it since.
>
>Canon paper gives great prints but as you said is expensive.
>Fuji gave me prints close to Canon and was cheaper. I now print a lot of 6x4
>as I now mount them in albums and have settled on Folex. I find their paper
>gives excellent results and is a good balance between cost/quality. Once the
>print is dry I spray them with Lysons 'Print Guard' which makes them water
>resistant and give it some UV protection ( I held one test print under
>running water, and it just beads and runs off. Dried it with a towel and
>you'd never know it had been near water.)

Does Print Guard dull the gloss?