Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > IS Lens and Converter

IS Lens and Converter

bmyself

Hi all Canon users,
Can someone tell me if the IS is useless when used with a 1.4x,2x Converter.
Or does it still work when the 1.4x, 2x Converter is used?
The reason why I ask is because I dont intend paying the extra for IS if its
useless with my Converters.
Thanks All,
Mike.

www.mikezite.co.uk

Tumbleweed

"bmyself" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:twu2e.293$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all Canon users,
> Can someone tell me if the IS is useless when used with a 1.4x,2x
> Converter.
> Or does it still work when the 1.4x, 2x Converter is used?
> The reason why I ask is because I dont intend paying the extra for IS if
> its
> useless with my Converters.
> Thanks All,
> Mike.

IS is just a gyro that damps rapid movement.
It will work as long as your converter maintains continuity with the
contacts.

Ed Ruf

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 09:42:49 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "bmyself"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi all Canon users,
>Can someone tell me if the IS is useless when used with a 1.4x,2x Converter.
>Or does it still work when the 1.4x, 2x Converter is used?
>The reason why I ask is because I dont intend paying the extra for IS if its
>useless with my Converters.

Should work just fine. What you also need to consider is that adding a TC
causes a loss of stops. 1.4x one stop, 2x two stops. For AF and in camera
metering to work you need a max combined aperture of f/5.6, so for full use
with a 2x you'll need to start with an f/2.8 lens.
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

Chris Brown

In article <twu2e.293$(E-Mail Removed)>,
bmyself <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Hi all Canon users,
>Can someone tell me if the IS is useless when used with a 1.4x,2x Converter.
>Or does it still work when the 1.4x, 2x Converter is used?
>The reason why I ask is because I dont intend paying the extra for IS if its
>useless with my Converters.

I use a 300mm f/4.0 IS L USM with a 1.4x teleconvertor and the IS functions
correctly.

Fyimo

As stated above IS works correctly with teleconverters. they do slow AF
aquistion speed if you shoot sports or birds in flight.

Art

Jim Townsend

bmyself wrote:

> Hi all Canon users,
> Can someone tell me if the IS is useless when used with a 1.4x,2x Converter.
> Or does it still work when the 1.4x, 2x Converter is used?
> The reason why I ask is because I dont intend paying the extra for IS if its
> useless with my Converters.

The IS will work, but your autofocus might not depending
on the lens and the camera.

Some non Canon converters 'might' not work as they may not have
all the neccesary contacts that supply power to the IS circuitry
of the lens. Make sure there are 8 contacts on the
converter that connect the pins on the body to the contacts
on the lens.

Note that when you add a converter, you raise the f number.

The Pro bodies (ie 1D MKII and 1Ds MKII will autofocus
up to f/8

The consumer bodies (10D, 20D, Rebel) won't autofocus if the
maximum f number is greater than f/5.6

For example, if you put a 1.4X converter on a 400mm f/5.6 lens,
the effective f number will be f/8. This combo will autofocus
on a 1D MKII, but won't AF on a 20D.

DM

Hi Mike,

I have the f70-200 f2.8L IS USM and can confirm the IS works in both modes
with the 1.4 & 2x Mk II Extenders from Canon. Though I have to say the 2x is
almost useless compared to the 1.4x re image quality.

Regards

DM

"bmyself" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:twu2e.293$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all Canon users,
> Can someone tell me if the IS is useless when used with a 1.4x,2x
> Converter.
> Or does it still work when the 1.4x, 2x Converter is used?
> The reason why I ask is because I dont intend paying the extra for IS if
> its
> useless with my Converters.
> Thanks All,
> Mike.
>
> www.mikezite.co.uk

mike

OK! Help much appreciated, all helpful.
The lens I intend getting will be f4 300mm or 400mm both IS so, I take-it
that it will AF ok with my Canon 1.4Mk2x Converter, as I know will then
become obviously a f5.6 Lens.
I will be useing the Lens for Cricket, or Wildlife possibly.
Cheers Guys!
Mike.
www.mikezite.co.uk

"DM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Ziy2e.8458$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Hi Mike,
>
> I have the f70-200 f2.8L IS USM and can confirm the IS works in both modes
> with the 1.4 & 2x Mk II Extenders from Canon. Though I have to say the 2x
> is almost useless compared to the 1.4x re image quality.
>
> Regards
>
> DM
>
> "bmyself" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:twu2e.293$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi all Canon users,
>> Can someone tell me if the IS is useless when used with a 1.4x,2x
>> Converter.
>> Or does it still work when the 1.4x, 2x Converter is used?
>> The reason why I ask is because I dont intend paying the extra for IS if
>> its
>> useless with my Converters.
>> Thanks All,
>> Mike.
>>
>> www.mikezite.co.uk

Ron Recer

"Jim Townsend" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> bmyself wrote:
>
> > Hi all Canon users,
> > Can someone tell me if the IS is useless when used with a 1.4x,2x

Converter.
> > Or does it still work when the 1.4x, 2x Converter is used?
> > The reason why I ask is because I dont intend paying the extra for IS if

its
> > useless with my Converters.

> The IS will work, but your autofocus might not depending
> on the lens and the camera.
>
> Some non Canon converters 'might' not work as they may not have
> all the neccesary contacts that supply power to the IS circuitry
> of the lens. Make sure there are 8 contacts on the
> converter that connect the pins on the body to the contacts
> on the lens.
>
> Note that when you add a converter, you raise the f number.
>
> The Pro bodies (ie 1D MKII and 1Ds MKII will autofocus
> up to f/8
>
> The consumer bodies (10D, 20D, Rebel) won't autofocus if the
> maximum f number is greater than f/5.6
>
> For example, if you put a 1.4X converter on a 400mm f/5.6 lens,
> the effective f number will be f/8. This combo will autofocus
> on a 1D MKII, but won't AF on a 20D.

While this is true with Canon TC's, which tell the camera they are there,
other TCs work fine with AF under good lighting conditions. I use a Tameron
1.4x with my Canon 10D and 100-400 F4-5.6L lens and the AF works fine almost
all the time. Poor light does cause AF problems.

Ron