Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Simple question for Canon A310 Owners

Simple question for Canon A310 Owners

ME

Thanks in advance for any help that may be forth comming.

I have a Canon Powershot A310 with NiMh batteries in it and the canon
supplied 32Meg ram card, all other settings are factory default.

The question i have is if i take a photo of anything using the flash
it takes ten seconds before i can take another photo even with brand
new fully charged batteries, is this normal how long does it take on
your cameras. It didn't used to take this long i an sure. If i don't
use the flash operation is normal. What happens for these ten seconds
is that for the first three seconds i get a still image of the photo i
have just taken as the camera is set up to do. Then i get a black
screen for seven seconds.
I am sure this is not right.

Thanks again
Regards
Andy

ASAAR

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 23:41:48 GMT, ME wrote:

> What happens for these ten seconds
> is that for the first three seconds i get a still image of the photo i
> have just taken as the camera is set up to do. Then i get a black
> screen for seven seconds.
> I am sure this is not right.

I think that what's happening is the screen is black for the last
seven seconds to conserve battery power while the flash's capacitor
is being recharged. This does take a while. If the display stayed
on, it probably would take several seconds longer than 10 seconds it
currently takes before the camera would be ready to take the next
flash picture. My camera's flash is hidden and disabled until it is
popped up. The manual states:

> When the flash pops up, the image may disappear
> and go dark briefly due to flash charging.

I just checked and my camera does the same thing. After a flash
picture is taken the display briefly shows the picture that was just
taken, then goes dark while the flash is recharging. The total time
taken to do this is about 3 seconds. This is with a camera using 4
AA NiMH batteries. If your camera uses AA batteries and only two of
them, that would explain why it takes longer to recharge the flash.
If on the other hand it uses 4 AA batteries then what can I say -
the A310 is just a slower camera. If your camera uses a proprietary
NiMH battery (as does my Canon S10) it might be slower because it is
constructed with fewer NiMH cells inside. Based on the spec's
printed on the battery, it only uses 3 NiMH cells, and its 3.6
volts, all else being equal, would take longer to charge a flash
than the other camera's 4 AA cells that provide 4.8 volts.

Leonard

ME wrote:
> I have a Canon Powershot A310 with NiMh batteries in it and the canon
> supplied 32Meg ram card, all other settings are factory default.
>
> The question i have is if i take a photo of anything using the flash
> it takes ten seconds before i can take another photo even with brand
> new fully charged batteries, is this normal how long does it take on
> your cameras. It didn't used to take this long i an sure. If i don't
> use the flash operation is normal.

My A300 does the same. It also takes a long time between shots if the
batteries are very low, so I suspect that it has a low-power low-speed
mode for writing to the memory card. I notice that when it's writing
'slowly' the orange light flashes, whereas normally the green light
flashes.

- Len