Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Adobe RGB (1998) or sRGB IEC61966-2.1 in my Nikon DSLR?

Adobe RGB (1998) or sRGB IEC61966-2.1 in my Nikon DSLR?

Stealth

Can someone please explain to me (in simple terms) the pros and cons of
setting my Nikon DSLR to either the Adobe RGB (199 or the sRGB
IEC61966-2.1 color space in my Nikon DSLR?

I've heard that one of them has more color range/depth.

Which is better and why?

TIA-

Owamanga

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 11:35:38 -0800, "Stealth"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Can someone please explain to me (in simple terms) the pros and cons of
>setting my Nikon DSLR to either the Adobe RGB (199 or the sRGB
>IEC61966-2.1 color space in my Nikon DSLR?
>
>I've heard that one of them has more color range/depth.
>
>Which is better and why?

I'd select the sRGB due to the ever increasing number of devices that
support this. Many digital wet-printers work in this color space, as
do the latest LCD monitors. Each color space has it's pros and cons,
but sRGB is *THE* standard that has emerged out of the quagmire, and
for that reason alone, would be my choice.

Here is a discussion on the differences, and when you should switch:

http://www.nulab.com.au/newsletter/n...GBViaAdobe.htm

(Also a really bad example of when to use GIF files for web graphics)

--
Owamanga!
http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

Bill Hilton

>Can someone please explain to me (in simple terms) the pros and cons
>of setting my Nikon DSLR to either the Adobe RGB (199 or the sRGB
>IEC61966-2.1 color space in my Nikon DSLR?

If you're shooting RAW (NEF I guess is Nikon's term) it doesn't matter
since this is ignored and you define the working space at the time you
do RAW conversion. If you're shooting jpegs then it will get assigned
when you shoot.

>I've heard that one of them has more color range/depth.

AdobeRGB has a wider gamut (range of colors), both have the same bit
depth.

>Which is better and why?

sRGB is better if you are printing with on-line shops or Wal-Mart or
Costco type stores using the Fuji Frontier type printers. sRGB is
better if you are shooting mainly for the web. sRGB is better if using
a non-color managed workflow or using a consumer editor like Paint Shop
Pro (which, AFAIK, doesn't recognize other working spaces). AdobeRGB
is better if you are printing on the top of the line inkjets or high
end laser printers like the LightJet or Chromira. So it depends on how
you're using the files ... I shoot about 80% AdobeRGB and 20% in even
wider working spaces like Ektaspace and never convert directly to sRGB
(I just convert-to-profile later in the flow in Photoshop if I need a
jpeg for the web), but I'm not printing at Wal-Mart ...

Bill

Roland Karlsson

"Stealth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:U%Y1e.245093
$FM3.123037@fed1read02:

> Can someone please explain to me (in simple terms) the pros and cons of
> setting my Nikon DSLR to either the Adobe RGB (199 or the sRGB
> IEC61966-2.1 color space in my Nikon DSLR?
>
> I've heard that one of them has more color range/depth.
>
> Which is better and why?

Adobe RGB has a larger gamut and a superior color space.
It is also the standard for professional printing. So ...
it might seem like a good idea to use Adobe RGB.

But - most devices in your home - e.g. your printer, your
screen and also all cheaper cameras support sRGB. Some
photo software may also only support sRGB. I also think, but
I am not sure, that photo shops also assumes sRGB. So ... it
might seem like a good idea to use sRGB.

Life is difficult sometimes.

/Roland

Marco

I shoot with D1X and in RAW so my choice is strictly Adobe RGB. Use
professional printing or Epson 2100/4000

Marco
http://www.sithean.info

"Stealth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Can someone please explain to me (in simple terms) the pros and cons of
> setting my Nikon DSLR to either the Adobe RGB (199 or the sRGB
> IEC61966-2.1 color space in my Nikon DSLR?
>
> I've heard that one of them has more color range/depth.
>
> Which is better and why?
>
> TIA-

Scott W

Here is a good article on the two
http://www.shootsmarter.com/infocenter/wc025.html
you have to register to see the article but it is free.

Scott

uraniumcommittee@yahoo.com

Kodachrome 64, bubba!

Stealth wrote:
> Can someone please explain to me (in simple terms) the pros and cons

of
> setting my Nikon DSLR to either the Adobe RGB (199 or the sRGB
> IEC61966-2.1 color space in my Nikon DSLR?
>
> I've heard that one of them has more color range/depth.
>
> Which is better and why?
>
> TIA-

Owamanga

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 20:34:46 +0000 (UTC), "Marco" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I shoot with D1X and in RAW so my choice is strictly Adobe RGB. Use
>professional printing or Epson 2100/4000
>
>Marco

Marco, where do you get professional wet-prints made in Adobe RGB?

From what I've seen, everyone seems to be using sRGB.

--
Owamanga!
http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

Owamanga

On 28 Mar 2005 12:42:57 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Kodachrome 64, bubba!

Cardboard or plastic mount?

--
Owamanga!
http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

Bill Hilton

> Owamanga writes ...
>
> where do you get professional wet-prints made in Adobe RGB?

Any pro lab with a LightJet or Chromira, like Calypso or Laser Light or
West Coast Imaging, or with a high end inkjet like the Epson 9600.
They expect the files to be in AdobeRGB or a wider space like
Ektaspace, unless you know enough to convert to their printer profile
and preflight it. If you sent them an sRGB file they'd probably laugh.
They would be happy to print it for you but they'd laugh.

>From what I've seen, everyone seems to be using sRGB.

The Fuji Frontier type machines are dumbed down to expect sRGB because
the people who get their prints at places like Costco or Wal-Mart are
sending in jpegs defaulted to sRGB, likely not knowing any better.
Wal-Mart is not "everybody" when it comes to printing though.

Bill