Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > dark pictures from Nikon D-70

dark pictures from Nikon D-70

Eric Zwartjes

Dear forumvisitors,

I recently bought a Nikon D70 with the standardd AF-S 18-70 lense. I met a
problem, which will often have been discussed here before. With all
programms (auto, P,S, A) the pictures seem to be too dark. By using more
light between 0,3 to 2 stop, one can improve somewhat.
But even then I have to use the option Enhance within the programm
Pictureproject to get an acceptable printable result.
Should I solve this problem by using Photoshop or has this problem to do
with the choosen settings or with the camera itself? I am a newbie with
digital photographing. The photograph is much clearer on my 18 inch Iiyama
TFT-monitorscherm than on my 19 inch Iiyama RGB-monitor, even so with
printing the picture is still to dark.
I put three different uncorrected photograph shots of my Nikon D70 on my
homepage. They contain also detailed information about the used settings.

Picture 1: see http://home.tiscali.nl/hzwartjes/download/foto1.JPG
Picture 2: see http://home.tiscali.nl/hzwartjes/download/foto2.JPG
Picture 3: see http://home.tiscali.nl/hzwartjes/download/foto3.JPG

Which Nikon (D70) user can help me out? Thanks anyway

Eric

Pete D

"Eric Zwartjes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hZQ1e.120200$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dear forumvisitors,
>
> I recently bought a Nikon D70 with the standardd AF-S 18-70 lense. I met a
> problem, which will often have been discussed here before. With all
> programms (auto, P,S, A) the pictures seem to be too dark. By using more
> light between 0,3 to 2 stop, one can improve somewhat.
> But even then I have to use the option Enhance within the programm
> Pictureproject to get an acceptable printable result.
> Should I solve this problem by using Photoshop or has this problem to do
> with the choosen settings or with the camera itself? I am a newbie with
> digital photographing. The photograph is much clearer on my 18 inch Iiyama
> TFT-monitorscherm than on my 19 inch Iiyama RGB-monitor, even so with
> printing the picture is still to dark.
> I put three different uncorrected photograph shots of my Nikon D70 on my
> homepage. They contain also detailed information about the used settings.
>
> Picture 1: see http://home.tiscali.nl/hzwartjes/download/foto1.JPG
> Picture 2: see http://home.tiscali.nl/hzwartjes/download/foto2.JPG
> Picture 3: see http://home.tiscali.nl/hzwartjes/download/foto3.JPG
>
> Which Nikon (D70) user can help me out? Thanks anyway
>
> Eric

Sorry Eric I fail to see your problem, those images should print fine.
Perhaps the problem is with your printer.

Larry

In article <xAR1e.15652$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...

> "Eric Zwartjes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:hZQ1e.120200$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Dear forumvisitors,
> >
> > I recently bought a Nikon D70 with the standardd AF-S 18-70 lense. I met a
> > problem, which will often have been discussed here before. With all
> > programms (auto, P,S, A) the pictures seem to be too dark. By using more
> > light between 0,3 to 2 stop, one can improve somewhat.
> > But even then I have to use the option Enhance within the programm
> > Pictureproject to get an acceptable printable result.
> > Should I solve this problem by using Photoshop or has this problem to do
> > with the choosen settings or with the camera itself? I am a newbie with
> > digital photographing. The photograph is much clearer on my 18 inch Iiyama
> > TFT-monitorscherm than on my 19 inch Iiyama RGB-monitor, even so with
> > printing the picture is still to dark.
> > I put three different uncorrected photograph shots of my Nikon D70 on my
> > homepage. They contain also detailed information about the used settings.
> >
> > Picture 1: see http://home.tiscali.nl/hzwartjes/download/foto1.JPG
> > Picture 2: see http://home.tiscali.nl/hzwartjes/download/foto2.JPG
> > Picture 3: see http://home.tiscali.nl/hzwartjes/download/foto3.JPG
> >
> > Which Nikon (D70) user can help me out? Thanks anyway
> >
> > Eric

> Sorry Eric I fail to see your problem, those images should print fine.
> Perhaps the problem is with your printer.

If those shots are printing too dark, you probably have some kind of
printer/driver/calibration problem to work out.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

Bigguy

Exposure is spot on... the highlights on the scooter's rear mudguard are
peak white.. Colour temperature is a wee bit cool...

Guy

Eric Zwartjes wrote:
> Dear forumvisitors,
>
> I recently bought a Nikon D70 with the standardd AF-S 18-70 lense. I
> met a problem, which will often have been discussed here before. With
> all programms (auto, P,S, A) the pictures seem to be too dark. By
> using more light between 0,3 to 2 stop, one can improve somewhat.
> But even then I have to use the option Enhance within the programm
> Pictureproject to get an acceptable printable result.
> Should I solve this problem by using Photoshop or has this problem to
> do with the choosen settings or with the camera itself? I am a newbie
> with digital photographing. The photograph is much clearer on my 18
> inch Iiyama TFT-monitorscherm than on my 19 inch Iiyama RGB-monitor,
> even so with printing the picture is still to dark.
> I put three different uncorrected photograph shots of my Nikon D70 on
> my homepage. They contain also detailed information about the used
> settings.
>
> Picture 1: see http://home.tiscali.nl/hzwartjes/download/foto1.JPG
> Picture 2: see http://home.tiscali.nl/hzwartjes/download/foto2.JPG
> Picture 3: see http://home.tiscali.nl/hzwartjes/download/foto3.JPG
>
> Which Nikon (D70) user can help me out? Thanks anyway
>
> Eric

Larry

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> In article <xAR1e.15652$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> says...
> >
> > "Eric Zwartjes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:hZQ1e.120200$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Dear forumvisitors,
> > >
> > > I recently bought a Nikon D70 with the standardd AF-S 18-70 lense. I met a
> > > problem, which will often have been discussed here before. With all
> > > programms (auto, P,S, A) the pictures seem to be too dark. By using more
> > > light between 0,3 to 2 stop, one can improve somewhat.
> > > But even then I have to use the option Enhance within the programm
> > > Pictureproject to get an acceptable printable result.
> > > Should I solve this problem by using Photoshop or has this problem to do
> > > with the choosen settings or with the camera itself? I am a newbie with
> > > digital photographing. The photograph is much clearer on my 18 inch Iiyama
> > > TFT-monitorscherm than on my 19 inch Iiyama RGB-monitor, even so with
> > > printing the picture is still to dark.
> > > I put three different uncorrected photograph shots of my Nikon D70 on my
> > > homepage. They contain also detailed information about the used settings.
> > >
> > > Picture 1: see http://home.tiscali.nl/hzwartjes/download/foto1.JPG
> > > Picture 2: see http://home.tiscali.nl/hzwartjes/download/foto2.JPG
> > > Picture 3: see http://home.tiscali.nl/hzwartjes/download/foto3.JPG
> > >
> > > Which Nikon (D70) user can help me out? Thanks anyway
> > >
> > > Eric

> > Sorry Eric I fail to see your problem, those images should print fine.
> > Perhaps the problem is with your printer.
> >

> If those shots are printing too dark, you probably have some kind of
> printer/driver/calibration problem to work out.

I'de like to add, I printed the "city street" picture with an Epson R200 @
8x10, a Canon i960 @ 8x10, and an Olympus Dye sub printer @ A4 size.

They look fine.

The Canon was set for "Photo Paper Pro"

The Epson R200 was set for "Glossy Photo Paper"

The Olympus was set at "Default"

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

Marco

They do not seem dark to me...tried to print one of them and was fine....are
you sure about calibration Monitir?printer etc??
Which printer and software are you using?

Marco
http://www.sitheanphoto.com

"Pete D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsAR1e.15652$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Eric Zwartjes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:hZQ1e.120200$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Dear forumvisitors,
>>
>> I recently bought a Nikon D70 with the standardd AF-S 18-70 lense. I met
>> a problem, which will often have been discussed here before. With all
>> programms (auto, P,S, A) the pictures seem to be too dark. By using more
>> light between 0,3 to 2 stop, one can improve somewhat.
>> But even then I have to use the option Enhance within the programm
>> Pictureproject to get an acceptable printable result.
>> Should I solve this problem by using Photoshop or has this problem to do
>> with the choosen settings or with the camera itself? I am a newbie with
>> digital photographing. The photograph is much clearer on my 18 inch
>> Iiyama TFT-monitorscherm than on my 19 inch Iiyama RGB-monitor, even so
>> with printing the picture is still to dark.
>> I put three different uncorrected photograph shots of my Nikon D70 on my
>> homepage. They contain also detailed information about the used settings.
>>
>> Picture 1: see http://home.tiscali.nl/hzwartjes/download/foto1.JPG
>> Picture 2: see http://home.tiscali.nl/hzwartjes/download/foto2.JPG
>> Picture 3: see http://home.tiscali.nl/hzwartjes/download/foto3.JPG
>>
>> Which Nikon (D70) user can help me out? Thanks anyway
>>
>> Eric

> Sorry Eric I fail to see your problem, those images should print fine.
> Perhaps the problem is with your printer.

Scott W

Only foto2.jpg is under exposed, and it is under exposed by about 1
stop. I see that it also had exposure compensation of +.3 so this
would make the total error 1.3 stops. Is it possible that the camera
was gong to use the flash for this photo and for some reason it did not
go off?

Scott

uraniumcommittee@yahoo.com

I agree: they look terrible!

Here's what to do:

1)Go to the nearest trash dumpster and throw this piece of crap into
it.
2)Go get a nice film camera.

Eric Zwartjes wrote:
> Dear forumvisitors,
>
> I recently bought a Nikon D70 with the standardd AF-S 18-70 lense. I

met a
> problem, which will often have been discussed here before. With all
> programms (auto, P,S, A) the pictures seem to be too dark. By using

more
> light between 0,3 to 2 stop, one can improve somewhat.
> But even then I have to use the option Enhance within the programm
> Pictureproject to get an acceptable printable result.
> Should I solve this problem by using Photoshop or has this problem to

do
> with the choosen settings or with the camera itself? I am a newbie

with
> digital photographing. The photograph is much clearer on my 18 inch

Iiyama
> TFT-monitorscherm than on my 19 inch Iiyama RGB-monitor, even so with

> printing the picture is still to dark.
> I put three different uncorrected photograph shots of my Nikon D70 on

my
> homepage. They contain also detailed information about the used

settings.

> Picture 1: see http://home.tiscali.nl/hzwartjes/download/foto1.JPG
> Picture 2: see http://home.tiscali.nl/hzwartjes/download/foto2.JPG
> Picture 3: see http://home.tiscali.nl/hzwartjes/download/foto3.JPG
>
> Which Nikon (D70) user can help me out? Thanks anyway
>
> Eric

Crownfield

Larry wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > In article <xAR1e.15652$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> > says...
> > >
> > > "Eric Zwartjes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:hZQ1e.120200$(E-Mail Removed)...

> > > Sorry Eric I fail to see your problem, those images should print fine.
> > > Perhaps the problem is with your printer.
> > >

> > If those shots are printing too dark, you probably have some kind of
> > printer/driver/calibration problem to work out.

actually, if you look at them on a corrected monitor, you see part of
the problem.

http://www.vircen.com/rpd/

check you monitor on the gray scale, and then check the before and after
in album pix.

simply changing contrast and gamma made a big difference.
if they were original files,
they were a little darker than they should be,
and low in contrast.

> I'de like to add, I printed the "city street" picture with an Epson R200 @
> 8x10, a Canon i960 @ 8x10, and an Olympus Dye sub printer @ A4 size.
>
> They look fine.
>
> The Canon was set for "Photo Paper Pro"
>
> The Epson R200 was set for "Glossy Photo Paper"
>
> The Olympus was set at "Default"
>
> --
> Larry Lynch
> Mystic, Ct.

Larry

> simply changing contrast and gamma made a big difference.
> if they were original files,
> they were a little darker than they should be,
> and low in contrast.

Yes the photo does look Brighter after your work, however, I noticed that
there were only softly defined shadows in the photo which lead me to believe
that the natural light was not as bright as in your treatment.

The print I made looked like a fairly moody, cloudy day, which from the
shadows (or actually the lack of them) I took to be the real mood of the
photo.

By the way, you really shouldnt assume someone hasnt calibrated their
monitor, just because you dont agree whith what they say.

The correct brightess/contrast/Gamma for that photo is unknown to all but the
photographer who took it.

Perhaps I was wrong in assuming the lack of strong shadow meant a lack of
bright direct sunlight.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.