Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > ISO and actual sensitivity in DSLR's (D70, *istD, 20D, S3...)

ISO and actual sensitivity in DSLR's (D70, *istD, 20D, S3...)

JPS@no.komm

In message <d2dfce$g3c$(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Dave Martindale) wrote:

>Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>>> The exception: Canon's raw converter when the
>>> special 16-bit linear output mode is selected.

>>I don't suppose that's available for free AND reads the Maxxum 7D?
>><g>

>I think it's freely downloadable, but only works on Canon raw images.
>
>But you might look into dcraw, a free/open source raw converter.

The Astrophoto program IRIS loads many RAW files and shows them in all
their RAWness (uncolor-balanced and un-blackpointed), first with a
greyscale, and then with each of the three color planes separated and
interpolated to the full MP count, with a menu option. In IRIS, you
always set visual whitepoint and blackpoint yourself.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

JPS@no.komm

In message <d2d7nl$h0u$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>> is no one "unchanged" RAW conversion. It is always interpretation.

>I know what result I got under controlled lighting, aperture and ISO
>setting. It is too close to the C d'I result to ignore. Their result
>traces back to the CIPA standard. So, either a coincidence or a
>confirmed result. Please feel free to do the same.

No one is denying that most cameras and converters have a somewhat
standardized output level for RAW conversion. The question is the
relevance to the camera, especially to the RAW shooter, to whom the
camera's "ISO" and mid-grey-point are just an arbitrary frame of
reference.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

Alan Browne

Dave Martindale wrote:

> Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>

>>>The exception: Canon's raw converter when the
>>>special 16-bit linear output mode is selected.

>>I don't suppose that's available for free AND reads the Maxxum 7D?
>><g>

> I think it's freely downloadable, but only works on Canon raw images.

<was a joke, Dave>

> But you might look into dcraw, a free/open source raw converter.

I will.

Alan Browne

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> In message <d2d7nl$h0u$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>>is no one "unchanged" RAW conversion. It is always interpretation.

>>I know what result I got under controlled lighting, aperture and ISO
>>setting. It is too close to the C d'I result to ignore. Their result
>>traces back to the CIPA standard. So, either a coincidence or a
>>confirmed result. Please feel free to do the same.

> No one is denying that most cameras and converters have a somewhat
> standardized output level for RAW conversion. The question is the
> relevance to the camera, especially to the RAW shooter, to whom the
> camera's "ISO" and mid-grey-point are just an arbitrary frame of
> reference.

I don't believe the grey point is so arbitrary when all conditions are
controlled, but as I said, please try your own test as I described it.

Alan Browne

Dave Martindale wrote:

> Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>

>>>The exception: Canon's raw converter when the
>>>special 16-bit linear output mode is selected.

>>I don't suppose that's available for free AND reads the Maxxum 7D?
>><g>

> I think it's freely downloadable, but only works on Canon raw images.
>
> But you might look into dcraw, a free/open source raw converter.

Aw crap. CMD line. Is there a GUI for this thing?

Roland Karlsson

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> If only the histograms were more accurate; even if you are shooting
> jpegs, they can easily miss clipping in the red and especially the blue
> channels. On most cameras that have RAW, they only show you the JPEG
> luminance histogram.

That sux - of course. The RAW contains much more.

/Roland

Roland Karlsson

Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:d2ee12$28j$3
@inews.gazeta.pl:

> Aw crap. CMD line. Is there a GUI for this thing?

Remember - google is your friend.

Googling for <dcraw gui> gives:

http://ptj.rozeta.com.pl/Soft/RawPhoto
http://www.aim-dtp.net/aim/digicam/dcraw/index.htm
http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/

/Roland

Alan Browne

Roland Karlsson wrote:

> Alan Browne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:d2ee12$28j$3
> @inews.gazeta.pl:
>

>>Aw crap. CMD line. Is there a GUI for this thing?

> Remember - google is your friend.
>
> Googling for <dcraw gui> gives:
>
> http://ptj.rozeta.com.pl/Soft/RawPhoto
> http://www.aim-dtp.net/aim/digicam/dcraw/index.htm