Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Flash for RebelXT D

Flash for RebelXT D

Robert M. Mazo

I have a Sunpack 433AF for Canon flash that I have been using for some
years with a Rebel XS film camera. I recently bought a Rebel XT D
digital (which, incidentally, I like very much). The XT does not
recognize that the flash is attached when I insert it into the hot
shoe. I checked that (a) the flash still works perfectly on the film
camera and (b) a Canon flash marketed specifically as an accessory to
its digital line works perfectly on the XT, so it is not a defective
part causing the XT problem.

A camera store salesman told me that it is a design problem. The film
and digital Rebels have different voltages on the main hot shoe pin.
Can anyone verify this?

Can you suggest a way, short of buying a new flash (I can think of
that myself), of mating the 433AF and the XT D?

Thanks, Bob

Eric Gill

Robert M. Mazo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> A camera store salesman told me that it is a design problem. The film
> and digital Rebels have different voltages on the main hot shoe pin.
> Can anyone verify this?

Yes. Furthermore, you can burn the digitals with overvoltage from older
flashguns. You *really* need to be cautious when hooking old equipment to
new bodies, and make sure they use no more than about 6 volts.

> Can you suggest a way, short of buying a new flash (I can think of
> that myself), of mating the 433AF and the XT D?

Not until you can establish what sort of juice it's going to put through
the hot shoe, no.

Mark B.

"Robert M. Mazo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a Sunpack 433AF for Canon flash that I have been using for some
> years with a Rebel XS film camera. I recently bought a Rebel XT D
> digital (which, incidentally, I like very much). The XT does not
> recognize that the flash is attached when I insert it into the hot
> shoe. I checked that (a) the flash still works perfectly on the film
> camera and (b) a Canon flash marketed specifically as an accessory to
> its digital line works perfectly on the XT, so it is not a defective
> part causing the XT problem.
>
> A camera store salesman told me that it is a design problem. The film
> and digital Rebels have different voltages on the main hot shoe pin.
> Can anyone verify this?
>
> Can you suggest a way, short of buying a new flash (I can think of
> that myself), of mating the 433AF and the XT D?
>
> Thanks, Bob

Even if you use a device such as a Wein Safe Sync to regulate the voltage
down under 5 volts, I'm pretty sure this Sunpak is dedicated for Canon TTL
only. Canon digital needs E-TTL for through the lens automatic flash;
that's why the older Canon EZ flashes won't do auto flash on their digital
bodies. So it has more to do with the exposure system than the voltage.

Metz & Sigma both make E-TTL flashes. The Sigma EF-500 Super DG gets
consistently good comments from users. I have the non-DG version and use it
without major problems on a 10D.

You can use a flash that has an independent thyristor such as the 383 Super.
I used one briefly on a Canon G1 before getting the 420EX; if I recall, the
voltage on the 383 was under 6 volts but the exposures with the 420EX were
much better.

Mark