Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Picture Quality

Picture Quality

s6

I understand the advantages of digital SLRs over the top end point and
shoots, but if the number of mega pixels is the same, is there really a
difference in picture quality? Could someone looking at a print or a file
from each of the camera tell which came from which type of camera?

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

>I understand the advantages of digital SLRs over the top end point and
>shoots, but if the number of mega pixels is the same, is there really a
>difference in picture quality? Could someone looking at a print or a file
>from each of the camera tell which came from which type of camera?

There's an enormous difference in quality.

Given a single print, you won't always be able to tell which camera it
came from, but if you take the same shot with a good dSLR and a good
P&S, the dSLR will give you a better picture.

If you have to use a flash, the dSLR will give you a MUCH, MUCH better
picture.

-Joel

Bigguy

Number of pixels is the same...
Size of pixels is larger in DSLRs - this means higher sensitivity and less
noise...
Lens quality, shutter lag, focus speed, CPU speed, viewfinder, flash,
battery life, card write speed are (generally) all better in DSLRs.

Could you tell from a print? Depends on print size and other variables. Also
depends on the photographer...
P+S cameras take great pictures of stationary subjects outside on sunny days

DSLRs allow great pictures in a much wider range of conditions..

Some pictures could only have been taken on a DSLR, and some are obviously
done on a P+S... but outside of this, no I don't think you can reliably tell
the difference. YMMV

Guy

s6 wrote:
> I understand the advantages of digital SLRs over the top end point and
> shoots, but if the number of mega pixels is the same, is there really
> a difference in picture quality? Could someone looking at a print or
> a file from each of the camera tell which came from which type of
> camera?

David J Taylor

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:
>> I understand the advantages of digital SLRs over the top end point
>> and shoots, but if the number of mega pixels is the same, is there
>> really a difference in picture quality? Could someone looking at a
>> print or a file from each of the camera tell which came from which
>> type of camera?

> There's an enormous difference in quality.
>
> Given a single print, you won't always be able to tell which camera it
> came from, but if you take the same shot with a good dSLR and a good
> P&S, the dSLR will give you a better picture.
>
> If you have to use a flash, the dSLR will give you a MUCH, MUCH better
> picture.

Why?
Are you comparing off-camera flash on a DSLR with on-camera flash on a
P&S?

David

Jim

"David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
wrote in message news:9NA0e.4580$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:
> >> I understand the advantages of digital SLRs over the top end point
> >> and shoots, but if the number of mega pixels is the same, is there
> >> really a difference in picture quality? Could someone looking at a
> >> print or a file from each of the camera tell which came from which
> >> type of camera?

> > There's an enormous difference in quality.
> >
> > Given a single print, you won't always be able to tell which camera it
> > came from, but if you take the same shot with a good dSLR and a good
> > P&S, the dSLR will give you a better picture.
> >
> > If you have to use a flash, the dSLR will give you a MUCH, MUCH better
> > picture.

> Why?
> Are you comparing off-camera flash on a DSLR with on-camera flash on a
> P&S?

Probably so. An off camera flash is preferred if for no other reason than
reducing the likelihood of red eye (no, it won't eliminate it completely).
Also, the dSLRs seem to have more powerful processors that do a better job
of matrix metering.
Jim

Jim Townsend

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:

>>I understand the advantages of digital SLRs over the top end point and
>>shoots, but if the number of mega pixels is the same, is there really a
>>difference in picture quality? Could someone looking at a print or a file
>>from each of the camera tell which came from which type of camera?

> There's an enormous difference in quality.

That's far too broad a statement.

At low ISO settings, (100-200) most people can't tell the difference
between a DSLR or point and shoot image. Functionally they're
the same.

At ISO 400 and higher, DSLR's have lower noise. They can generally
take cleaner shots at ISO 800 and 1600. This is because DSLRs have
larger sensors that gather more light and require less amplification.

The 35mm lenses that most DSLRs use have much wider apertures than
the fixed lenses on point and shoot cameras. This allows for a narrow
depth of field which is better for portrait work and isolating subjects
by blurring backgrounds.

Note that there's also more to it than the camera body. A DSLR with a
cheap lens will be more likeley to produce worse images than the average
point and shoot. (I'm thinking of Samyang and Phoenix lenses with
optical quality plastic lens elements).

If you go to www.dpreview.com you can check camera reviews and see
samples from DSLRs and pont and shoots.

David J Taylor

Jim wrote:
> "David J Taylor"
> <(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote in
> message news:9NA0e.4580$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>>
>>> There's an enormous difference in quality.
>>>
>>> Given a single print, you won't always be able to tell which camera
>>> it came from, but if you take the same shot with a good dSLR and a
>>> good P&S, the dSLR will give you a better picture.
>>>
>>> If you have to use a flash, the dSLR will give you a MUCH, MUCH
>>> better picture.

>> Why?
>> Are you comparing off-camera flash on a DSLR with on-camera flash on
>> a P&S?

> Probably so. An off camera flash is preferred if for no other reason
> than reducing the likelihood of red eye (no, it won't eliminate it
> completely). Also, the dSLRs seem to have more powerful processors
> that do a better job of matrix metering.
> Jim

Yes, but you can use off-camera flash both with DSLRs and many ZLR cameras
(high-end point and shoot if you like), so the comaparison isn't valid.

I am unsure about your point on metering - I think it takes little
processing power to work out an exposure from the metering. In principle,
P&S may do it better as they can meter at every pixel, whereas DSLR may do
it better because the metering is not on the sensor. The high-end P&S
have a range of metering modes just like DSLRs.

Cheers,
David

Dave R knows who

"s6" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news6A0e.12790$(E-Mail Removed)-kc.rr.com...
>I understand the advantages of digital SLRs over the top end point and
> shoots, but if the number of mega pixels is the same, is there really a
> difference in picture quality? Could someone looking at a print or a file
> from each of the camera tell which came from which type of camera?

Beyond what others have said...

Don't forget the glass. The difference can be substantial comparing the
small lens on a point-and-shoot to say a nice Canon "L" lens. However I must
say some of the pictures from my friends Canon A95 look very similar to the
ones taken with my Digital Rebel and kit lens! But generally speaking.....
while my Fuji S602Z P&S goes out to 200mm but it cannot compete with the
70-200 f/2.8 on my Rebel or 1D. My point is, with that lens the quality of
your images can suddenly go from hobbyist to pro.

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

>> If you have to use a flash, the dSLR will give you a MUCH, MUCH better
>> picture.

>Why?
>Are you comparing off-camera flash on a DSLR with on-camera flash on a
>P&S?

Yes. And event he on-camera dSLR flashes are further away from the
lens than the flashes on P&S cameras. With camera manufacturers
investing so much R&D in swivel LCD screens and such, I'm surprised no
one has manufactured a good flash....

-Joel

Stephen Poley

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 15:08:15 -0000, "Bigguy"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Number of pixels is the same...
>Size of pixels is larger in DSLRs - this means higher sensitivity and less
>noise...
>Lens quality, shutter lag, focus speed, CPU speed, viewfinder, flash,
>battery life, card write speed are (generally) all better in DSLRs.

I'm surprised by your reference to battery life. Is this correct? I
would have expected that bigger sensors, more processing power and
faster focussing with bigger lenses would add up to (much) higher power
consumption.

At Christmas my Z10 managed a week on a single battery charge, in which
I took over 250 photos and did *extensive* reviewing. How much better do
DSLR's manage?

--
Stephen Poley