Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > D-70 continuous frame transfer

D-70 continuous frame transfer

Don and Liz Campbell

Can the D-70 when connected to a computer provide a continuous frame
transfer rate of 1 to 3 frames per second? If not, do you know what the
maximum continuous frame transfer rate is?

Thanks, Don

paul

Don and Liz Campbell wrote:

> Can the D-70 when connected to a computer provide a continuous frame
> transfer rate of 1 to 3 frames per second? If not, do you know what the
> maximum continuous frame transfer rate is?

No, unfortunately it's pretty darn slow waiting for each pic to go thru
the USB cable with Nikon Capture Camera Control. Maybe I don't have the
proper USB on my new laptop but it's around 2 seconds between shots even
with the smallest jpegs. It won't let you buffer, you have to wait
before shooting again & carefully watch the progress or you get an
annoying error message that needs to be dismissed.

There is a "video out" plug intended for slide shows on a TV, I don't
know if that could be used for this purpose, probably not.

Owamanga

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 10:24:16 -0800, paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Don and Liz Campbell wrote:
>
>> Can the D-70 when connected to a computer provide a continuous frame
>> transfer rate of 1 to 3 frames per second? If not, do you know what the
>> maximum continuous frame transfer rate is?

>No, unfortunately it's pretty darn slow waiting for each pic to go thru
>the USB cable with Nikon Capture Camera Control. Maybe I don't have the
>proper USB on my new laptop but it's around 2 seconds between shots even
>with the smallest jpegs. It won't let you buffer, you have to wait
>before shooting again & carefully watch the progress or you get an
>annoying error message that needs to be dismissed.
>
>There is a "video out" plug intended for slide shows on a TV, I don't
>know if that could be used for this purpose, probably not.

Apparently the D70 transfer rates are around the speed of USB 1.1, not
USB 2.0 as advertised. This equates to a maximum of 1.5MBytes/sec.

If shooting NEF, expect to wait *at least* 4 seconds between shots.
Realistically, I'd expect 10 seconds.

If it were truly a 2.0 device, transfer rates in excess of firewire
should be possible, around 60Mbytes/sec, or an additional 1/10th
second to clear the buffer.

Video out is useful for a bigger 'preview' than the LCD can show - and
can be used live for shooting, but color quality and resolution are
somewhat lacking.

--
Owamanga!
http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

David J Taylor

Owamanga wrote:
[]
> Apparently the D70 transfer rates are around the speed of USB 1.1, not
> USB 2.0 as advertised. This equates to a maximum of 1.5MBytes/sec.

Be aware that even if you have USB 2.0 hardware, you may /still/ have to
install USB 2.0 drivers to see the full USB 2.0 speed. By default, you
only get USB 1.1 speed.

Cheers,
David

Pete D

"David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
wrote in message news:rUi0e.4011$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Owamanga wrote:
> []
>> Apparently the D70 transfer rates are around the speed of USB 1.1, not
>> USB 2.0 as advertised. This equates to a maximum of 1.5MBytes/sec.

> Be aware that even if you have USB 2.0 hardware, you may /still/ have to
> install USB 2.0 drivers to see the full USB 2.0 speed. By default, you
> only get USB 1.1 speed.
>
> Cheers,
> David

The D70 is only USB 1.1 and will never be faster, really bad design flaw by
Nikon.

Owamanga

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 19:44:47 GMT, "Pete D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
>wrote in message news:rUi0e.4011$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> Owamanga wrote:
>> []
>>> Apparently the D70 transfer rates are around the speed of USB 1.1, not
>>> USB 2.0 as advertised. This equates to a maximum of 1.5MBytes/sec.

>> Be aware that even if you have USB 2.0 hardware, you may /still/ have to
>> install USB 2.0 drivers to see the full USB 2.0 speed. By default, you
>> only get USB 1.1 speed.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> David

>The D70 is only USB 1.1 and will never be faster, really bad design flaw by
>Nikon.

Has this been investigated in respect to a possible firmware fix?

Of course, I doubt it can be fixed so easily, given that they haven't
done it yet.

Oh well..

--
Owamanga!
http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

David J Taylor

Pete D wrote:
> "David J Taylor"
> <(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote in
> message news:rUi0e.4011$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> Owamanga wrote:
>> []
>>> Apparently the D70 transfer rates are around the speed of USB 1.1,
>>> not USB 2.0 as advertised. This equates to a maximum of
>>> 1.5MBytes/sec.

>> Be aware that even if you have USB 2.0 hardware, you may /still/
>> have to install USB 2.0 drivers to see the full USB 2.0 speed. By
>> default, you only get USB 1.1 speed.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> David

> The D70 is only USB 1.1 and will never be faster, really bad design
> flaw by Nikon.

And yet someone says it is advertised as 2.0? Misleading!

David

Scott Schuckert

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Owamanga
<owamanga(not-this-bit)@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Has this been investigated in respect to a possible firmware fix?

Not possible. The higher speed requires a different controller chip.

Scott Schuckert

In article <%wk0e.4098$(E-Mail Removed)>, David J
wrote:

> And yet someone says it is advertised as 2.0? Misleading!

Not....entirely. The computer manufacturers were afraid people would
stop buying computers without USB 2.0. So they redefined "2.0" to
INCLUDE the older 1.1 specification. To get 480Mbits/second, you have
to look for "HIGH Speed USB 2.0"

The D70 documentation clearly states "FULL Speed USB 2.0" - which is
actually just the old 12Mbits/second v.1.1 stuff renamed.

Confusing? Misleading? Sure! But that's marketing for you. Pick on
Intel. It's their spec, and they control the nomenclature.

Scott Schuckert

In article <PGj0e.9215$(E-Mail Removed)>, Pete D
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The D70 is only USB 1.1 and will never be faster, really bad design flaw by
> Nikon.

Not a design flaw but a design choice. When the D70 was created, high
Speed USB 2.0 controller chips were more expensive than the older ones.
So Nikon got to keep another 85 cents that might have been spent on
parts.