Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: COMPUSA does not want your business

Re: COMPUSA does not want your business

nicholas.garrett@gmail.com

This reply is for everyone. Thanks for the replies. I like hearing
these objections. It gives me an idea of where we lack... or what areas
we are not educating our consumers.
Re-stocking fee is a right the store has on returns. For instance, I
had a customer buy a laser printer from me for $650 with a $50 rebate.
We had the best deal in town. 2 weeks later the gentleman called me
informing me that if I did not refund/credit back the diference between
his purchase and an UPCOMING ad-deal coming soon to a competing store
next week, that he would return the printer. I checked the ad deal, and
it ended up being a websale only deal and not going on for a week. I
personally don't match prices which don't exist yet. I informed the
customer, and he informed me of his intentions to return the product to
us. I informed him I would charge a restocking fee.

If a customer bought something that was not the technology solution he
was promised, or did not work, was not compatible, ect... I personally
would NEVER charge such a fee. It is not good for business. It is a
right of a manager to prevent the company from getting screwed.
Typically, stores refrain from doing this... and some GSMs have a
personal policy to never charge restocking fees... but the fact remains
that the situation can necessitate this fee to compensate for the
loss/return.

There is a policy for floor sales... and their job is to DETERMINE
NEEDS. Alot of customers will not let a floor salesman ask questions,
and really not offer any help whatsoever to the rep. This leaves the
sales rep guessing at what the needs of the customer are... and
shooting in the dark. He is not trying to jack your wallet, he is
trying to prevent a return and hopefully bring your business back to
him. CompUSA being 60% business customers, and 40% comodity, we need
return customers to stay in business.

Your best bet when buying something you are unsure of or you want to
protect is to get TAP on it. Alot of customers have a misconception
about Technology Assurance Plan, thinking that it is some kind of
overkill extended waranty. CompUSA does not do extended warantees
because customers do not need an extra 3 years to determine if their
product is defective. TAP protects both the customer and the seller for
pretty much everything that can happen post sale. Mutally beneficial
exchange of value between buyer and seller... the perfect sale.

Kindest Regards,

Nick Garrett
Business Solutions
CompUSA Corporate

Cynicor

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Your best bet when buying something you are unsure of or you want to
> protect is to get TAP on it. Alot of customers have a misconception
> about Technology Assurance Plan, thinking that it is some kind of
> overkill extended waranty. CompUSA does not do extended warantees
> because customers do not need an extra 3 years to determine if their
> product is defective. TAP protects both the customer and the seller for
> pretty much everything that can happen post sale. Mutally beneficial
> exchange of value between buyer and seller... the perfect sale.

What is your profit margin on TAP sales? I know that extended warranties are
somewhere in the 80-90% range.

Paul J Gans

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>This reply is for everyone. Thanks for the replies. I like hearing
>these objections. It gives me an idea of where we lack... or what areas
>we are not educating our consumers.
>Re-stocking fee is a right the store has on returns. For instance, I
>had a customer buy a laser printer from me for $650 with a $50 rebate.
>We had the best deal in town. 2 weeks later the gentleman called me
>informing me that if I did not refund/credit back the diference between
>his purchase and an UPCOMING ad-deal coming soon to a competing store
>next week, that he would return the printer. I checked the ad deal, and
>it ended up being a websale only deal and not going on for a week. I
>personally don't match prices which don't exist yet. I informed the
>customer, and he informed me of his intentions to return the product to
>us. I informed him I would charge a restocking fee.

>If a customer bought something that was not the technology solution he
>was promised, or did not work, was not compatible, ect... I personally
>would NEVER charge such a fee. It is not good for business. It is a
>right of a manager to prevent the company from getting screwed.
>Typically, stores refrain from doing this... and some GSMs have a
>personal policy to never charge restocking fees... but the fact remains
>that the situation can necessitate this fee to compensate for the
>loss/return.

>There is a policy for floor sales... and their job is to DETERMINE
>NEEDS. Alot of customers will not let a floor salesman ask questions,
>and really not offer any help whatsoever to the rep. This leaves the
>sales rep guessing at what the needs of the customer are... and
>shooting in the dark. He is not trying to jack your wallet, he is
>trying to prevent a return and hopefully bring your business back to
>him. CompUSA being 60% business customers, and 40% comodity, we need
>return customers to stay in business.

>Your best bet when buying something you are unsure of or you want to
>protect is to get TAP on it. Alot of customers have a misconception
>about Technology Assurance Plan, thinking that it is some kind of
>overkill extended waranty. CompUSA does not do extended warantees
>because customers do not need an extra 3 years to determine if their
>product is defective. TAP protects both the customer and the seller for
>pretty much everything that can happen post sale. Mutally beneficial
>exchange of value between buyer and seller... the perfect sale.

>Kindest Regards,

>Nick Garrett
>Business Solutions
>CompUSA Corporate
>(E-Mail Removed)

Very good. Seriously. Nevertheless I NEVER want to open
a supposedly new package and find clearly used merchandise
inside.

That would mean that the local district attorney would get
a quick call from me.

This is a retailing absolute. Do what you must on returns.
But when I buy new equipment I want it new. Period.

---- Paul J. Gans

Patrick Boch

People can bitch about CompUSA....If you really want screwed...Go to Best
Buy...I worked there...And was trained to lie.
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> This reply is for everyone. Thanks for the replies. I like hearing
> these objections. It gives me an idea of where we lack... or what areas
> we are not educating our consumers.
> Re-stocking fee is a right the store has on returns. For instance, I
> had a customer buy a laser printer from me for $650 with a $50 rebate.
> We had the best deal in town. 2 weeks later the gentleman called me
> informing me that if I did not refund/credit back the diference between
> his purchase and an UPCOMING ad-deal coming soon to a competing store
> next week, that he would return the printer. I checked the ad deal, and
> it ended up being a websale only deal and not going on for a week. I
> personally don't match prices which don't exist yet. I informed the
> customer, and he informed me of his intentions to return the product to
> us. I informed him I would charge a restocking fee.
>
> If a customer bought something that was not the technology solution he
> was promised, or did not work, was not compatible, ect... I personally
> would NEVER charge such a fee. It is not good for business. It is a
> right of a manager to prevent the company from getting screwed.
> Typically, stores refrain from doing this... and some GSMs have a
> personal policy to never charge restocking fees... but the fact remains
> that the situation can necessitate this fee to compensate for the
> loss/return.
>
> There is a policy for floor sales... and their job is to DETERMINE
> NEEDS. Alot of customers will not let a floor salesman ask questions,
> and really not offer any help whatsoever to the rep. This leaves the
> sales rep guessing at what the needs of the customer are... and
> shooting in the dark. He is not trying to jack your wallet, he is
> trying to prevent a return and hopefully bring your business back to
> him. CompUSA being 60% business customers, and 40% comodity, we need
> return customers to stay in business.
>
> Your best bet when buying something you are unsure of or you want to
> protect is to get TAP on it. Alot of customers have a misconception
> about Technology Assurance Plan, thinking that it is some kind of
> overkill extended waranty. CompUSA does not do extended warantees
> because customers do not need an extra 3 years to determine if their
> product is defective. TAP protects both the customer and the seller for
> pretty much everything that can happen post sale. Mutally beneficial
> exchange of value between buyer and seller... the perfect sale.
>
> Kindest Regards,
>
> Nick Garrett
> Business Solutions
> CompUSA Corporate
> (E-Mail Removed)

Scott Schuckert

In article <BSr2e.439$(E-Mail Removed)>, Patrick Boch
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> People can bitch about CompUSA....If you really want screwed...Go to Best
> Buy...I worked there...And was trained to lie.

Yes, but CompUSA at least pretends to be a "computer store", with
salespeople who can answer quetions. Best Buy is clearly a mass-market,
price-is-most-important place. (After all, the name IS "BestBuy")
People who shop there know, or should know, separation from their cash
is the only goal.