Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon D70 view finder

Nikon D70 view finder

Diane Wilson

In article <Xns9621CCFDB33D0dilfjelfoiwepofujsdk@216.168.3.30 >,
rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net says...
> "Sheldon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Since my contacts are set to monovision,
> > and the right eye is for closeup and reading, I didn't think the diopter
> > adjustment would work, but it works beautifully.
> >

> Jeez. I tried that once and it drove me right up the freakin' wall. Worst
> of both worlds. I've settled for good distance correction in BOTH eyes plus
> reading glasses when needed (not while shooting unless I need to read the
> top display).

Some people can adapt; some can't; some optometrists are better at
fitting monovision than others. Getting the right multifocal
lens also seems to be part of the equation; I tried changing
once and it was awful.

It does take a while to adjust; it took me about 2 or 3 months.
I needed reading glasses at first, but after getting used to the
contacts, I don't need glasses at all except for really fine detail
work.

But after ten years of having glasses between me and a viewfinder,
it sure is nice not to need them any more.

Diane

Andrew Koenig

"jbert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d1psah$e22$(E-Mail Removed)...

> In reading some post last week, I read about a complaint about the small
> view in the Nikon D70 viewfinder. As someone who wants to get a DSLR by
> summer, I was looking into the D70. I stopped in the local Best Buy and
> tried one out, and I have to concur, that for someone who wears glasses,
> the view finder is terrible. This would create a hardship when taking
> pictures with a Polaroid filter and trying to look through Polaroid
> sunglasses at a black screen. Is there any DSLR that has an adjustable
> focus on the view finder (similar to my Sony camcorder) that I could

I agree with you that the finder is terrible, but only because of how small
the image is, not because it's not adjustable... because it *is* adjustable.
The adjustment is on a sliding control just to the right of the eyepiece.

Ken Tough

jbert <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>would create a hardship when taking
>pictures with a Polaroid filter and trying to look through Polaroid
>sunglasses at a black screen. Is there any DSLR that has an adjustable
>focus on the view finder (similar to my Sony camcorder) that I could
>focus to use without glasses?

You might not be able to adjust the D70 enough using the diopter fix,
but maybe you can. You won't be able to use polarising sunglasses
with a polarising filter on any SLR; physics prevents it.

--
Ken Tough

Ben Thomas

Ken Tough wrote:
> jbert <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>would create a hardship when taking
>>pictures with a Polaroid filter and trying to look through Polaroid
>>sunglasses at a black screen. Is there any DSLR that has an adjustable
>>focus on the view finder (similar to my Sony camcorder) that I could
>>focus to use without glasses?

> You might not be able to adjust the D70 enough using the diopter fix,
> but maybe you can. You won't be able to use polarising sunglasses
> with a polarising filter on any SLR; physics prevents it.

I have 20/20 vision, but find I need to move the diopter slider about halfway
down, rather than having it right at the bottom. Both seem in focus, but the
setting I'm now using means I don't have blurred vision in my other eye after
looking through the camera for a while - I shut my left eye when shooting.

--
Ben Thomas