Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon D70 view finder

Nikon D70 view finder

jbert

In reading some post last week, I read about a complaint about the small
view in the Nikon D70 viewfinder. As someone who wants to get a DSLR by
summer, I was looking into the D70. I stopped in the local Best Buy and
tried one out, and I have to concur, that for someone who wears glasses,
the view finder is terrible. This would create a hardship when taking
pictures with a Polaroid filter and trying to look through Polaroid
sunglasses at a black screen. Is there any DSLR that has an adjustable
focus on the view finder (similar to my Sony camcorder) that I could
focus to use without glasses?

Thanks. JAB

Owamanga

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 14:58:08 -0500, jbert <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In reading some post last week, I read about a complaint about the small
>view in the Nikon D70 viewfinder. As someone who wants to get a DSLR by
>summer, I was looking into the D70. I stopped in the local Best Buy and
>tried one out, and I have to concur, that for someone who wears glasses,
>the view finder is terrible. This would create a hardship when taking
>pictures with a Polaroid filter and trying to look through Polaroid
>sunglasses at a black screen. Is there any DSLR that has an adjustable
>focus on the view finder (similar to my Sony camcorder) that I could
>focus to use without glasses?

Yes, the D70.

Return your glasses to the shop. They obviously don't work.

Take another look at the D70, maybe with a magnifying glass or ask the
assistant to describe the controls around the eyepiece to you.

BTW, Lasik is very good now: http://www.tlcvision.com/

--
Owamanga!
http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

Roy

I wear glasses and have a D70.

At first I was very aware of the VF being much smaller than my 35mm VFs, but
it only took a couple of days to get used to it, and it really isn't any
kind of a problem now.

I can't imagine why anyone would want to use Polarising Sunglasses while
looking through a SLR Viewfinder, never mind why anyone would want to do
this when a Polarising Filter is on the Lens. I think your perceived
problem would be similar with almost any DSLR. (Perhaps you should go for
one with an Electronic VF)

The D70 does have VF dioptre correction.

Roy G.

"jbert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d1psah$e22$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In reading some post last week, I read about a complaint about the small
> view in the Nikon D70 viewfinder. As someone who wants to get a DSLR by
> summer, I was looking into the D70. I stopped in the local Best Buy and
> tried one out, and I have to concur, that for someone who wears glasses,
> the view finder is terrible. This would create a hardship when taking
> pictures with a Polaroid filter and trying to look through Polaroid
> sunglasses at a black screen. Is there any DSLR that has an adjustable
> focus on the view finder (similar to my Sony camcorder) that I could focus
> to use without glasses?
>
> Thanks. JAB

Scott Schuckert

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Owamanga
<owamanga(not-this-bit)@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Is there any DSLR that has an adjustable
> >focus on the view finder (similar to my Sony camcorder) that I could
> >focus to use without glasses?

> Yes, the D70.
>
> Return your glasses to the shop. They obviously don't work.
>
> Take another look at the D70, maybe with a magnifying glass or ask the
> assistant to describe the controls around the eyepiece to you.

Ignore the above writers snide comments; until you actually own and use
a camera, it's easy to miss small controls. The D70 HAS a diopter
adjustment, just to the right of the viewfinder.

(The owner's manual humorously warns against poking yourself in the eye
while setting it)

Despite the rabid defense of some users, the D70 viewfinder is marginal
at best, and is the cameras weakest point. To cut costs, Nikon used a
"pentamirror" instead of the more usual solid pentaprism. This saves
money and weight, but costs viewfinder brightness and clarity. To
partially compansate, Nikon reduced the finder magnification and used a
more transparent focusing screen. This latter reduces the ability to
focus manually.

The interim solution (assuming you like Nikons - I do) is to purchase a
D100 instead. In a bit longer term, I've been unoficially told by a
Nikon rep to expect a camera with the D100 optics and the D70
electronics this summer. This will most likely be in the D100 price
range, though.

Oliver Costich

wrote:

>In reading some post last week, I read about a complaint about the small
>view in the Nikon D70 viewfinder. As someone who wants to get a DSLR by
>summer, I was looking into the D70. I stopped in the local Best Buy and
>tried one out, and I have to concur, that for someone who wears glasses,
>the view finder is terrible. This would create a hardship when taking
>pictures with a Polaroid filter and trying to look through Polaroid
>sunglasses at a black screen. Is there any DSLR that has an adjustable
>focus on the view finder (similar to my Sony camcorder) that I could
>focus to use without glasses?
>
>Thanks. JAB

I wear glaases and the D70 viewfinder just takes some getting used to.
Wearing polarized glasses and looking at anything else that is
polarized is always a problem. I can't see the radio readout in my car
with polarized glasses on because the two things are polarized in
different directions.

Frank ess

jbert wrote:
> In reading some post last week, I read about a complaint about the
> small view in the Nikon D70 viewfinder. As someone who wants to get a
> DSLR by summer, I was looking into the D70. I stopped in the local
> Best Buy and tried one out, and I have to concur, that for someone
> who wears glasses, the view finder is terrible. This would create a
> hardship when taking pictures with a Polaroid filter and trying to
> look through Polaroid sunglasses at a black screen. Is there any DSLR
> that has an adjustable focus on the view finder (similar to my Sony
> camcorder) that I could focus to use without glasses?

My experience has been that I can't do photography outdoors, using any
of a dozen different cameras, while wearing prescription sunglasses. The
viewfinders and LCDs are just too obscure.

I have seen glasses with lenses hinged at center-bottom, used by women
when applying eye makeup. I fantasize a pair of these with my sunglass
tint and prescription.

--
Frank ess

Sheldon

"jbert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d1psah$e22$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In reading some post last week, I read about a complaint about the small
> view in the Nikon D70 viewfinder. As someone who wants to get a DSLR by
> summer, I was looking into the D70. I stopped in the local Best Buy and
> tried one out, and I have to concur, that for someone who wears glasses,
> the view finder is terrible. This would create a hardship when taking
> pictures with a Polaroid filter and trying to look through Polaroid
> sunglasses at a black screen. Is there any DSLR that has an adjustable
> focus on the view finder (similar to my Sony camcorder) that I could focus
> to use without glasses?
>
> Thanks. JAB

I wear both glasses and contacts. I don't have a problem with the D70 using
either, and there is a diopter adjustment just to the right of the
viewfinder (slides up and down). Since my contacts are set to monovision,
and the right eye is for closeup and reading, I didn't think the diopter
adjustment would work, but it works beautifully.

If you don't want to wear your glasses, and the diopter adjustment isn't
enough, Nikon does make corrective lenses that will fit over the eyepiece (I
think they fit several models). You have to know your prescription, and I
would assume you fine tune it with the diopter adjustment.

Ask your dealer or give Nikon a call.

Bubbabob

"Sheldon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Since my contacts are set to monovision,
> and the right eye is for closeup and reading, I didn't think the diopter
> adjustment would work, but it works beautifully.

Jeez. I tried that once and it drove me right up the freakin' wall. Worst
of both worlds. I've settled for good distance correction in BOTH eyes plus
reading glasses when needed (not while shooting unless I need to read the
top display).

Sheldon

"Bubbabob" <rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net> wrote in message
news:Xns9621CCFDB33D0dilfjelfoiwepofujsdk@216.168. 3.30...
> "Sheldon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Since my contacts are set to monovision,
>> and the right eye is for closeup and reading, I didn't think the diopter
>> adjustment would work, but it works beautifully.
>>

> Jeez. I tried that once and it drove me right up the freakin' wall. Worst
> of both worlds. I've settled for good distance correction in BOTH eyes
> plus
> reading glasses when needed (not while shooting unless I need to read the
> top display).

Sometimes it gets to me, but most of the time it works just fine. Just a
matter of getting used to it. I know some people who've had corrective
surgery and done the monovision thing. I would never go that far. Funny,
however, I use my right hand to hold a cup, and my right eye is set to close
vision, so every time I take a drink and bring the cup up to my face I can't
read the paper.

I was just surprised the diopter adjustment corrected for that. I thought I
might have to get my contacts flipped.

C J Campbell

While I wear eyeglasses and have a D70, my correction is not large and I am
able to use it. Nevertheless, I think the viewfinder is terrible. In fact, I
don't like the viewfinder on almost any of the DSLRs I have seen. Apparently
manufacturers think that digital cameras don't need good viewfinders.

If my vision was any worse I would probably get a viewfinder magnifier.