Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > I just bought a Nikon D70

I just bought a Nikon D70

Rob Taormina via PhotoKB.com

I just bought a Nikon D70 from Berger Bros. Camera. I heard that Nikon is
discontinuing this item. Is this true? If so what does everyone recommend?
Berger Bros. Camera gave me a fantastic price on this item..but would you
recommend getting a different camera or this camera a perfect fit?

by the way, if you want this camera. They were selling it on their ebay
store. and I just called them up and bought it from their store via phone.

Diane Wilson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> I just bought a Nikon D70 from Berger Bros. Camera. I heard that Nikon is
> discontinuing this item. Is this true? If so what does everyone recommend?
> Berger Bros. Camera gave me a fantastic price on this item..but would you
> recommend getting a different camera or this camera a perfect fit?

No confirmed word yet on whether the rebate indicates a model change,
price reduction, or just a promotion.

In any case, it's an excellent camera, and any replacement is likely
to be a fairly small incremental change. (Surprises are possible, of
course.) Even if a replacement were announced tomorrow, it would likely
be several months before it became available.

Diane

Owamanga

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 18:55:23 GMT, "Rob Taormina via PhotoKB.com"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I just bought a Nikon D70 from Berger Bros. Camera.

Has it arrived yet?

>I heard that Nikon is discontinuing this item. Is this true?

Eventually, everything gets discontinued. Is this a problem for you?

>If so what does everyone recommend?

Who cares, you bought it already.

>Berger Bros. Camera gave me a fantastic price on this item..but would you
>recommend getting a different camera or this camera a perfect fit?

Bit late to be asking that isn't it?

>by the way, if you want this camera. They were selling it on their ebay
>store. and I just called them up and bought it from their store via phone.

A quick google groups search of 'Berger Bros' shows them to be a less
than reputable company to be dealing with.

Reseller ratings: only 7.5/10 with 6 votes. Not good.

--
Owamanga!
http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

Eric Babula

"Rob Taormina via PhotoKB.com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I just bought a Nikon D70 from Berger Bros. Camera. I heard that
> Nikon is discontinuing this item. Is this true? If so what does
> everyone recommend? Berger Bros. Camera gave me a fantastic price
> on this item..but would you recommend getting a different camera or
> this camera a perfect fit?
>
> by the way, if you want this camera. They were selling it on their
> ebay store. and I just called them up and bought it from their
> store via phone.

Of everything I've read, the D70 is a great camera - one of the best
DSLRs out there, rating-wise.

I have not heard/read that Nikon is going to discontinue it, tho.

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Lar via PhotoKB.com

The D70 got a DIWA "Gold" award this month, and was awarded "2004 Best
Consumer Digital SLR Camera" from TIPA (Technical Image Press Association,
whoever they are). It's a CNET Editor's Choice camera (8.6 rating out of
10).

I think it's probably a good camera.

carrigman

So what if it's discontinued (and in all probability it will be soon)?

It is an excellent camera.

You bought it to take photos and not as an investment.

If in the highly unlikely event you eventually find some major drawback in
it that prevents you getting the photos you want then by all means change.

Don't get hung up about the latest model; just take pictures.

Carrigman

Pete D

Pity so many useless dickheads like this troll buy them.

news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 20:17:26 GMT, "Pete D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Pity so many useless dickheads like this troll buy them.

Why? It reduces the price for everyone else. Economy of scale.

That's why junk mail doesn't bother me - it's paying for the postman
to come to my door every day.

--
Owamanga!
http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

Oliver Costich

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 19:38:07 GMT, Owamanga
<owamanga(not-this-bit)@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 18:55:23 GMT, "Rob Taormina via PhotoKB.com"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I just bought a Nikon D70 from Berger Bros. Camera.

>Has it arrived yet?
>
>>I heard that Nikon is discontinuing this item. Is this true?

>Eventually, everything gets discontinued. Is this a problem for you?
>
>>If so what does everyone recommend?

>Who cares, you bought it already.
>
>>Berger Bros. Camera gave me a fantastic price on this item..but would you
>>recommend getting a different camera or this camera a perfect fit?

>Bit late to be asking that isn't it?
>
>>by the way, if you want this camera. They were selling it on their ebay
>>store. and I just called them up and bought it from their store via phone.

>A quick google groups search of 'Berger Bros' shows them to be a less
>than reputable company to be dealing with.
>
>Reseller ratings: only 7.5/10 with 6 votes. Not good.

They are clear with the BBB and 7.5 isn't bad for the camera trade. On
the other hand, CALL FOR PRICE is not a good sign.

Owamanga

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 17:17:49 -0500, Oliver Costich
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 19:38:07 GMT, Owamanga
><owamanga(not-this-bit)@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Reseller ratings: only 7.5/10 with 6 votes. Not good.

>They are clear with the BBB and 7.5 isn't bad for the camera trade. On
>the other hand, CALL FOR PRICE is not a good sign.

6 votes is bad though, considering the 3 positive ones came from the
shop staff.

(probably)

--
Owamanga!