Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > change black+white to color

change black+white to color

JRYezierski

Is there a way of determining what the color of something is from an old
black+white photo?
I have an old b+w of my grandparents house and I would like to know what the
original color was. They are deceased and no family member knows what the
color was.

I have photoimpact software with microtek scanmaker6000.
Thanks
Jerome

bob

JRYezierski wrote:
> Is there a way of determining what the color of something is from an old
> black+white photo?

No. But old B&W film was insensitive to red, so if the house is light
colored you can eliminate red as a possibility.

Bob

Jim

"bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6dX%d.67507$%(E-Mail Removed). ..
> JRYezierski wrote:
> > Is there a way of determining what the color of something is from an old
> > black+white photo?

> No. But old B&W film was insensitive to red, so if the house is light
> colored you can eliminate red as a possibility.

Only if the film was really really old. Panchromatic film was widely
available in the 30s. Most amateurs, however, used orthochromatic film
because it was cheaper.
The last Kodak orthochromatic film was discontinued in the 50s.
Jim

meow

If the house is still standing, you might check with the new owners and take
a paint scraping. I believe there are instructions on how to do it on the
this old house site.

"JRYezierski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fGW%d.3795$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there a way of determining what the color of something is from an old
> black+white photo?
> I have an old b+w of my grandparents house and I would like to know what
> the original color was. They are deceased and no family member knows what
> the color was.
>
> I have photoimpact software with microtek scanmaker6000.
> Thanks
> Jerome

Owamanga

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 10:24:50 -0500, "JRYezierski" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Is there a way of determining what the color of something is from an old
>black+white photo?
>I have an old b+w of my grandparents house and I would like to know what the
>original color was. They are deceased and no family member knows what the
>color was.
>
>I have photoimpact software with microtek scanmaker6000.

Check the EXIF data on the old photo. If it was tagged correctly it
should have a description, something like:

"Grampa Mojo's 'canary yellow with green twiddley bits' house."

--
Owamanga!
http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

Cynicor

"Owamanga" <owamanga(not-this-bit)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 10:24:50 -0500, "JRYezierski" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Is there a way of determining what the color of something is from an old
>>black+white photo?
>>I have an old b+w of my grandparents house and I would like to know what
>>the
>>original color was. They are deceased and no family member knows what the
>>color was.
>>
>>I have photoimpact software with microtek scanmaker6000.

> Check the EXIF data on the old photo. If it was tagged correctly it
> should have a description, something like:
>
> "Grampa Mojo's 'canary yellow with green twiddley bits' house."

It's a trick. Everything actually was in black and white until about 1952,
when it all turned to color.

Matt Ion

Cynicor wrote:
> "Owamanga" <owamanga(not-this-bit)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 10:24:50 -0500, "JRYezierski" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>wrote:
>>

>>>Is there a way of determining what the color of something is from an old
>>>black+white photo?
>>>I have an old b+w of my grandparents house and I would like to know what
>>>the
>>>original color was. They are deceased and no family member knows what the
>>>color was.
>>>
>>>I have photoimpact software with microtek scanmaker6000.

>>Check the EXIF data on the old photo. If it was tagged correctly it
>>should have a description, something like:
>>
>>"Grampa Mojo's 'canary yellow with green twiddley bits' house."

> It's a trick. Everything actually was in black and white until about 1952,
> when it all turned to color.

Hey, you must be one of the two dozen people who saw "Pleasantville"!

be_pissed

JRYezierski wrote:
> Is there a way of determining what the color of something is from an old
> black+white photo?
> I have an old b+w of my grandparents house and I would like to know what the
> original color was. They are deceased and no family member knows what the
> color was.
>
> I have photoimpact software with microtek scanmaker6000.
> Thanks
> Jerome

Mmm... here's a thought and something worth trying. Find a colour-blind
person, maybe a few, and ask them what colour they think the house is.

Worth a try as I have to "guess" a lot of colours most times

Hannah

"JRYezierski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fGW%d.3795$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there a way of determining what the color of something is from an old
> black+white photo?

Have you considered asking a psychic?
Is your question really serious, or are you just trolling?

Chris D

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 19:18:30 GMT
Matt Ion <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hey, you must be one of the two dozen people who saw
> "Pleasantville"!

AAAaaarrrrgggg!

Runs screaming from building, holding head, trying to forget the
agony that was "pleasantville" in the cinemas...

-Chris D