Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Konica Minolta DiMage Z5

Konica Minolta DiMage Z5

Eric Babula

After a bit of research, and lots of questions asked, I'm considering
purchasing the KM DiMage Z5.

I've read some professional reviews that say the pics are 'noisy', and
others that have said that it's not a problem, especially if you switch
the setting to hard sharpness.

Does anyone have experience with this camera? Any comments or reviews?
Any pictures that were taken with the KM Z5 that I could see?

TIA,

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention
of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body.
But rather, itís to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up,
totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a ride!!!'

Eric Babula

Eric Babula <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Xns96214347FD8DCebabulacare2com@66.192.254.23 0:

> After a bit of research, and lots of questions asked, I'm
> considering purchasing the KM DiMage Z5.
>
> I've read some professional reviews that say the pics are 'noisy',
> and others that have said that it's not a problem, especially if
> you switch the setting to hard sharpness.
>
> Does anyone have experience with this camera? Any comments or
> reviews? Any pictures that were taken with the KM Z5 that I could
> see?
>
> TIA,

Sure, now that I'm fairly certain that I wanted the KM, the review on
dcresource.com also mentions the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5 and the Sony
CyberShot DSC-H1.

Anyone have any experience with any of these three cameras? Any comments
and/or comparisons between them?

So many cameras to choose from. So little time.

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention
of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body.
But rather, itís to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up,
totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a ride!!!'

Stephen Henning

Eric Babula <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Sure, now that I'm fairly certain that I wanted the KM, the review on
> dcresource.com also mentions the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5 and the Sony
> CyberShot DSC-H1.
>
> Anyone have any experience with any of these three cameras? Any comments
> and/or comparisons between them?

I just got the Z5 and it is exactly what I wanted. I take a lot of
nature pictures and needed the anti-shake, zoom and macro features. The
reviews are correct to use the sharp mode for sharp results. The down
side of the Z5 is its inability to focus in the dark. I don't take
pictures in the dark so that is no problem for me.

Here is my take:

Konica Minolta DiMage Z5
Pluses:
+ has CCD anti-shake which uses less power
+ best macro mode to 1 cm.
+ fastest zoom
+ fastest focus
+ fastest save
+ available for $421
+ widest wide angle
+ external flash support with hot shoe
+ supports S-video
+ uses 4 rechargeable NiMH AA cells
+ supports manual focus and manual white balance
+ has widest ISO range
Minuses:
- No focus assist lamp

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5
Pluses:
+ at 290 gm is the lightest & smallest
+ focus assist lamp
Minuses:
- not available until April
- no external flash support
- uses Panasonic camcorder battery
- doesn't support S-video movies
- doesn't support manual focus

Sony CyberShot DSC-H1
Pluses:
+ external flash support but no hot shoe
+ supports S-video
+ focus assist lamp
Minuses:
- not available until June
- uses 2 rechargeable NiMH AA cells
- at 438 gm is the heaviest
- doesn't support manual white balance

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

Eric Babula

Stephen Henning <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed):

> Eric Babula <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Sure, now that I'm fairly certain that I wanted the KM, the review
>> on dcresource.com also mentions the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ5 and
>> the Sony CyberShot DSC-H1.
>>
>> Anyone have any experience with any of these three cameras? Any
>> comments and/or comparisons between them?

> I just got the Z5 and it is exactly what I wanted. I take a lot of
> nature pictures and needed the anti-shake, zoom and macro features.
> The reviews are correct to use the sharp mode for sharp results.
> The down side of the Z5 is its inability to focus in the dark. I
> don't take pictures in the dark so that is no problem for me.

<snip>

Steve - Where can you get the KM Z5 for $421.00??? I've seen it as low
as $449.00 at butterfly.com, but not any lower at any reputable website.
The camera shops around here are selling it for $499.99.

Also, could you email me some pics that you've taken? Or, do you have
any on a website, for me to view? I found some pics from other people,
but not very many of nature. I'm looking for pics of longer shots -
mountains, forests, streams, rivers - an elk in a pond - those kinds of
pics, rather than closeups of one's cat, or macro of a flower. I already
know the KM Z5 can take great macro shots. I'd like to see more longer
range shots, if you wouldn't mind.

After reading a little about the Sony, I don't know if I want the
heavier camera with no hot shoe, so I'm leaning away from that one. I
still have to research the Panasonic a little more. But, I'm thinking
I'm gonna stick with the KM Z5, unless the Panasonic is that much
better, or at least as good with a lower price tag.

Thanks for your advice!

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Stephen Henning

Eric Babula <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Steve - Where can you get the KM Z5 for $421.00??? I've seen it as low
> as $449.00 at butterfly.com, but not any lower at any reputable website.
> The camera shops around here are selling it for $499.99.

Don't know about these but here are the low prices:

$405 http://infinitiphoto.com/viewitem.php?IndexID=5932

$421 is at PageComputer from Price Grabber:

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...ice&masterid=7
247519&isbn=&pid=

I got mine from Digital Photo because it was in stock, good reputation
and cost me $479 with free shipping. They were prompt, courteous and
efficient.

I should of gotten the SD cards from Sam's Club, they have very good
prices.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to (E-Mail Removed)
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman