Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > What is picture noise?

What is picture noise?

Bud Light

Seen on several camera reviews something called picture noise. What does
that refer to? Thanks.

Lar via PhotoKB.com

Noise ? The visible effects of electronic interference in the final image
from a digital camera appearing as random spots, dots, or flecks of dust.

Rick

Lar via PhotoKB.com wrote:
> Noise ? The visible effects of electronic interference in the final image
> from a digital camera appearing as random spots, dots, or flecks of dust.

Add to that its almost impossible to remove from an image.

--

Rick

Digital Printing
www.intelligence-direct.com - 01270 215550

[BnH]

mmm try here
http://members.iinet.net.au/~permadi...L/tariNadi.jpg

ISO 6400 [HI-2] of a D1H .

=bob=

"Bud Light" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Seen on several camera reviews something called picture noise. What does
> that refer to? Thanks.

David J Taylor

Rick wrote:
> Lar via PhotoKB.com wrote:
>> Noise ? The visible effects of electronic interference in the final
>> image from a digital camera appearing as random spots, dots, or
>> flecks of dust.

> Add to that its almost impossible to remove from an image.

... although several programs can do an excellent job of reducing noise,
even though they don't remove it completely. I used to use Neat Image,
but the new DCNR tool in Paint Shop Pro 9 is even better.

http://www.corel.com

http://www.neatimage.com

Cheers,
David

Don Stauffer in Minneapolis

Bud Light wrote:

> Seen on several camera reviews something called picture noise. What does
> that refer to? Thanks.

Do you remember what a TV picture looks like with a bad signal? It used
to be called snow. Looks like the scene is taken in middle of a
snowstorm. That is noise. It refers to each pixel having a random
brightness level added or subtracted to the true value of the pixel.

C J Campbell

"David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
wrote in message news:ieV%d.3221$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Rick wrote:
> > Lar via PhotoKB.com wrote:
> >> Noise ? The visible effects of electronic interference in the final
> >> image from a digital camera appearing as random spots, dots, or
> >> flecks of dust.

> > Add to that its almost impossible to remove from an image.

> .. although several programs can do an excellent job of reducing noise,
> even though they don't remove it completely.

Noise Ninja can almost completely remove it, but complete elimination of
noise is generally undesirable, resulting in a plastic, textureless image.

C J Campbell

"Lar via PhotoKB.com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Noise ? The visible effects of electronic interference in the final image
> from a digital camera appearing as random spots, dots, or flecks of dust.

It is not all from electronic interference, nor is it all produced by the
camera. Most image sharpening routines increase noise, for example.

Sheldon

"Bud Light" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Seen on several camera reviews something called picture noise. What does
> that refer to? Thanks.

Noise on a digital camera is the equivalent of grain on a film camera. Call
me crazy, but when you sharpen it up it does look very much like grain, and
I love the texture of digital noise in some images.

When I was a pro, I used to mix up my own concoctions for developing b and w
film to give me a lot of really tight but visual grain, so noise, if done
right, doesn't bother me at all. Of course, there are times when you want
tack sharp photos with absolutely no noise.

Destin_FL

The digital noise removal in the new Paint Shop Pro v.9 is spectacular. $600
for Photoshop and you need another $400 worth of plug-ins to get it to do all
that PSP does natively for $100.
The digital noise removal in PSP is completely interactive and variable in
parameters, and you can effectively eliminate that plastic look/feel of the
photo with proper settings.

Tim