Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Paint (on XP/Home) cannot read jpg images from Canon PhotoStudio

Paint (on XP/Home) cannot read jpg images from Canon PhotoStudio

Eyal Lebedinsky

I start with an image that paint can read (actually from a Nikon). I
process it with the Canon software and save as jpg. I try to open it
with Paint and it says the format is not supported. Paint has no
problem opening the original image.

The stanard XP "Windows Image and Fax Viewer" shows both the original
and the processed image just fine.

How can I open it in Paint? I know that I can save it as a bitmap etc.
but I want to open THIS picture if possible.

Thanks.

--
Eyal Lebedinsky ((E-Mail Removed)) <http://samba.org/eyal/>

Joseph Meehan

Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
> I start with an image that paint can read (actually from a Nikon). I
> process it with the Canon software and save as jpg. I try to open it
> with Paint and it says the format is not supported. Paint has no
> problem opening the original image.
>
> The stanard XP "Windows Image and Fax Viewer" shows both the original
> and the processed image just fine.
>
> How can I open it in Paint? I know that I can save it as a bitmap etc.
> but I want to open THIS picture if possible.
>
> Thanks.

I thought there was a size limit for paint, but I just opened up a 5meg
jpg from my Canon without a problem.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Eyal Lebedinsky

Joseph Meehan wrote:
> Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
>
>>I start with an image that paint can read (actually from a Nikon). I
>>process it with the Canon software and save as jpg. I try to open it
>>with Paint and it says the format is not supported. Paint has no
>>problem opening the original image.
>>
>>The stanard XP "Windows Image and Fax Viewer" shows both the original
>>and the processed image just fine.
>>
>>How can I open it in Paint? I know that I can save it as a bitmap etc.
>>but I want to open THIS picture if possible.
>>
>>Thanks.

> I thought there was a size limit for paint, but I just opened up a 5meg
> jpg from my Canon without a problem.

Did you first process it with PhotoStudio and saved as jpg? I do not
have a problem with original images.

--
Eyal Lebedinsky ((E-Mail Removed)) <http://samba.org/eyal/>
attach .zip as .dat

RSD99

Use a better photo editor ... even the free French program called
PhotoFiltre is better ...

http://www.photofiltre.com/

news:7hK%d.6507$(E-Mail Removed)...

RSD99 wrote:
> Use a better photo editor ... even the free French program called
> PhotoFiltre is better ...
>
> http://www.photofiltre.com/

Really? I mostly need the USM filter, and I do not see one above.
Does it have it?

Anyway, you do not address the main issue. Paint has a limitation
and I wonder if it can be fixed. I will appreciate any help in
this direction.

--
Eyal Lebedinsky ((E-Mail Removed)) <http://samba.org/eyal/>
attach .zip as .dat

RSD99

No USM ...just the garden-variety 'Sharpen' 'Sharpen Edges' 'Sharpen More'
.... plus something called 'Reinforce.'

As for your statement ... "... Anyway, you do not address the main issue.
Paint has a limitation
and I wonder if it can be fixed. I will appreciate any help in this
direction. ..."

There are only a few ways to "cure" a limitation in a given piece of
software. Since I am *not* the person in charge of the development of
"Micro$loth's 'Paint' program," there is nothing I can do to change or
improve the program. The only thing that you ... or any of "us" ... can do
is write a note to Micro$illy, tell them about the problem(s) you are
having, and *suggest* that they improve the program. Then ... hold your
breath for two or three YEARS until the next release of the program.

If the limitations of Canon's and Micro$oft's software are proving to be
onerous to you ... all I can suggest is getting another program that will
do what you want to do.

You might try one of the following

Adobe PhotoShop Elements (Known to have USM)
The GIMP (Known to have USM) (**FREE**)
Corel's PhotoPaint (Known to have USM)
Corel's Paint Shop Pro
Digital Light and Color's Picture Window (Pro) (Known to have USM)
Serif's PhotoPlus
etcetera

Another possible "work around" would be to download the free IrfanView
viewer, open the picture in IrfanView, and re-save it. Your version of M$
Paint **may** be able to open the resulting file, as modified by IrfanView.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...