Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Photoshop Elements 3 help

Photoshop Elements 3 help

Dan

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a book on PS elements 3 for
someone new to it.I just installed it and would like to try to get the most
from it.I have used the programs that came with the camera and would like to
step up to this level.Thanks in advance. Dan

Robert Scott

news:VWH%d.160320$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I was wondering if anyone could recommend a book on PS elements 3 for
>someone new to it.I just installed it and would like to try to get the most
>from it.I have used the programs that came with the camera and would like
>to step up to this level.Thanks in advance. Dan

"Adobe Photoshop elements 3.0 CLASSROOM IN A BOOK, The official training
workbook from Adobe Systems"
It even comes with a CD ROM of lessons. Very complete and well-done, I
think.

Good shooting,
Bob Scott

Basic Wedge

"Robert Scott" wrote ...

> "Adobe Photoshop elements 3.0 CLASSROOM IN A BOOK, The official training
> workbook from Adobe Systems"

I'll second that recommendation and add another one: "Adobe Photoshop
Elements 3.0 - A Visual Introduction to Digital Imaging" by Philip Andrews.
This book does not include a CD. Instead you can download sample/tutorial
photos from their website. As a result, the cost is a bit more reasonable at
$30 U.S.

Rob

Pete Fenelon

In rec.photo.digital Dan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone could recommend a book on PS elements 3 for
> someone new to it.I just installed it and would like to try to get the most
> from it.I have used the programs that came with the camera and would like to
> step up to this level.Thanks in advance. Dan

Scott Kelby's "The Photoshop Elements Book For Digital Photographers"
for intermediate use, and "Photoshop Elements 3 Down and Dirty Tricks"
for good pieces of advanced technique.

pete
--
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) "Send lawyers, guns and money...."

measekite

Take a look at the Visual Book by Peach Pit Press. They are OK and are
a faster read than most.

Dan wrote:

>I was wondering if anyone could recommend a book on PS elements 3 for
>someone new to it.I just installed it and would like to try to get the most
>from it.I have used the programs that came with the camera and would like to
>step up to this level.Thanks in advance. Dan

SamSez

"Robert Scott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:CFI%d.1191$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...

> "Dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:VWH%d.160320$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I was wondering if anyone could recommend a book on PS elements 3 for
> >someone new to it.I just installed it and would like to try to get the most
> >from it.I have used the programs that came with the camera and would like
> >to step up to this level.Thanks in advance. Dan

> "Adobe Photoshop elements 3.0 CLASSROOM IN A BOOK, The official training
> workbook from Adobe Systems"
> It even comes with a CD ROM of lessons. Very complete and well-done, I
> think.
>
> Good shooting,
> Bob Scott

Ditto on Adobe's training workbook. There are other books that are good, and
show interesting tricks -- including 'the hidden power of photoshop elements 3'
which adds some useful functionality -- but it doesn't hurt to start with the
tool the way the vendor intended.

Clyde Torres

"Robert Scott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:CFI%d.1191$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...

> "Dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:VWH%d.160320$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I was wondering if anyone could recommend a book on PS elements 3 for
>>someone new to it.I just installed it and would like to try to get the
>>most from it.I have used the programs that came with the camera and would
>>like to step up to this level.Thanks in advance. Dan

> "Adobe Photoshop elements 3.0 CLASSROOM IN A BOOK, The official training
> workbook from Adobe Systems"
> It even comes with a CD ROM of lessons. Very complete and well-done, I
> think.
>
> Good shooting,
> Bob Scott

This brings a question to mind. I never use the Organizer Catalog feature
of Adobe PE 3. I only use the Edit and Enhance Photos feature, which if I
bring up the File Browser, I get thumbprints of all the files in the folder,
and I can work on them with the appropriate tools. I keep thinking that the
Catalog feature is duplicating photo files somewhere else and thus using
more memory. Is this true? Whenever I work on files, PE 3 always asks me
if I want to fire up the Organizer Catalog feature. I always say no. Am I
missing something other than slide shows?

Clyde Torres

SamSez

"Clyde Torres" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:a0M%d.165651$(E-Mail Removed) m...

> This brings a question to mind. I never use the Organizer Catalog feature
> of Adobe PE 3. I only use the Edit and Enhance Photos feature, which if I
> bring up the File Browser, I get thumbprints of all the files in the folder,
> and I can work on them with the appropriate tools. I keep thinking that the
> Catalog feature is duplicating photo files somewhere else and thus using
> more memory. Is this true? Whenever I work on files, PE 3 always asks me
> if I want to fire up the Organizer Catalog feature. I always say no. Am I
> missing something other than slide shows?
>
> Clyde Torres

I think you are missing a lot.

As to overhead, there are no 'copies', but there are catalog files. For my 17Gb
or so worth of pix, the total catalog space is less than 200Mb. No big deal.

As to what it can do, the best thing it did for me was to offer calendar
[time-line] based cataloging of all my pix based on internal file dates, all
nicely sorted regardless of the camera or what directory I had put it in
[usually based on what camera to avoid name collision]. Add to that the quick
fix [with auto backup copy], ability to add user defined tags to allow selective
display [including a 'hide' tag so I can easily ignore 'test' shots without
deleting them], and it's quite a handy tool.

Be aware that the first time you use it, particularly if you import a lot of pix
at once, there is a lot of background processing going on that can slow both the
organizer and the pc itself. Once the material is cataloged, the delay issue
goes away.

Oliver Costich

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 03:09:58 GMT, "Clyde Torres"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Robert Scott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:CFI%d.1191$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
>>
>> "Dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:VWH%d.160320$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I was wondering if anyone could recommend a book on PS elements 3 for
>>>someone new to it.I just installed it and would like to try to get the
>>>most from it.I have used the programs that came with the camera and would
>>>like to step up to this level.Thanks in advance. Dan

>> "Adobe Photoshop elements 3.0 CLASSROOM IN A BOOK, The official training
>> workbook from Adobe Systems"
>> It even comes with a CD ROM of lessons. Very complete and well-done, I
>> think.
>>
>> Good shooting,
>> Bob Scott

>This brings a question to mind. I never use the Organizer Catalog feature
>of Adobe PE 3. I only use the Edit and Enhance Photos feature, which if I
>bring up the File Browser, I get thumbprints of all the files in the folder,
>and I can work on them with the appropriate tools. I keep thinking that the
>Catalog feature is duplicating photo files somewhere else and thus using
>more memory. Is this true? Whenever I work on files, PE 3 always asks me
>if I want to fire up the Organizer Catalog feature. I always say no. Am I
>missing something other than slide shows?
>
>Clyde Torres

Having both pieces of PE3 open does use lots of memory, mean loss of
speed due to swapping. Task Manager has shown as much as 2GB of memory
in use on a 512MB system.

The catalog is convenient for uploading from the CF card and does have
some management tools. I'm not sure the effort of learning their
method is worth it if you have one of your own that works. The rest is
for the scrapbookers.

Have you seen the Hidden Powers add-ins? Well worth the price which
includes a book and make PE3 much more like PS CS.
www.hiddenelements.com

Ron Hunter

Clyde Torres wrote:
> "Robert Scott" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:CFI%d.1191$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
>
>>"Dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:VWH%d.160320$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>I was wondering if anyone could recommend a book on PS elements 3 for
>>>someone new to it.I just installed it and would like to try to get the
>>>most from it.I have used the programs that came with the camera and would
>>>like to step up to this level.Thanks in advance. Dan

>>"Adobe Photoshop elements 3.0 CLASSROOM IN A BOOK, The official training
>>workbook from Adobe Systems"
>>It even comes with a CD ROM of lessons. Very complete and well-done, I
>>think.
>>
>>Good shooting,
>>Bob Scott

> This brings a question to mind. I never use the Organizer Catalog feature
> of Adobe PE 3. I only use the Edit and Enhance Photos feature, which if I
> bring up the File Browser, I get thumbprints of all the files in the folder,
> and I can work on them with the appropriate tools. I keep thinking that the
> Catalog feature is duplicating photo files somewhere else and thus using
> more memory. Is this true? Whenever I work on files, PE 3 always asks me
> if I want to fire up the Organizer Catalog feature. I always say no. Am I
> missing something other than slide shows?
>
> Clyde Torres

Yes. The Organizer has many nice features, such as tags, collections,
and nice search features. It also seems to have quite a few bugs. It
is possible to delete it from the load and not see it at all. You can
find instructions to do that on the Adobe Photoshop Elements forum at
www.adobe.com.

You can also get answers to just about any question you have about the
various features, or how to use them from users who know the program
intimately.

--
Ron Hunter (E-Mail Removed)