Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: *istDS ICC color profile

Reply
Thread Tools

Re: *istDS ICC color profile

 
 
Bill Hilton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-21-2005
>> Bill Hilton wrote ...
>>
>> What you actually need is an accurate tone curve for this camera and


>> the RAW converter you're using ...


>Papenfuss writes ...
>
> I would say that a generic ICC profile will accomplish this.


Don't think so ... each RAW converter has a different conversion
"engine" and interprets the RAW data differently, so a "generic"
profile won't do it, you need one specific for that converter. As one
example, I have four RAW converters on my computer and cannot share
profiles between them, even though two were written by the same guy.
Actually IIRC some of the $30 custom profiles written by Magne Nilsen
for one version of Capture One must be updated for later versions of C1
because the program changed enough to throw the colors off a bit.

> The RAW converter "company" I'm emplyoying is ...


Talk to them and use what they supplied. They should have supplied
*something* if they support your camera. If there's a user forum for
this outfit you might see if others have found better solutions. If
you fail to find anything you might consider getting a different RAW
converter with more support.

Bill

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
papenfussDIESPAM@juneauDOTmeDOTvt.edu
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-21-2005
Bill Hilton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: > I would say that a generic ICC profile will accomplish this.

: Don't think so ... each RAW converter has a different conversion
: "engine" and interprets the RAW data differently, so a "generic"
: profile won't do it, you need one specific for that converter. As one
: example, I have four RAW converters on my computer and cannot share
: profiles between them, even though two were written by the same guy.
: Actually IIRC some of the $30 custom profiles written by Magne Nilsen
: for one version of Capture One must be updated for later versions of C1
: because the program changed enough to throw the colors off a bit.

I'm not sure I buy that. The ICC is a colorspace transformation. The RAW
converter is a Bayer matrix interpolator. While I don't doubt that many RAW converter
applications use their own tweaks to the interpolator and setpoints for specific
camera models, the whole point of ICC is a standardized colorspace transformation
matrix.

: > The RAW converter "company" I'm emplyoying is ...

: Talk to them and use what they supplied. They should have supplied
: *something* if they support your camera. If there's a user forum for
: this outfit you might see if others have found better solutions. If
: you fail to find anything you might consider getting a different RAW
: converter with more support.

Not sure if you caught the link, but there is no company. It's open-source
for linux and supports ICC input and output profiles. It supports reading the RAW
file from the camera (using sRGB by default), but I have not located the standardized
profile for sensor calibration. The sRGB correction is not done by the camera when it
shoots RAW, so it's not really a valid import colorspace... it just happens to be the
default.

-Cory


************************************************** ***********************
* Cory Papenfuss *
* Electrical Engineering candidate Ph.D. graduate student *
* Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University *
************************************************** ***********************

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Stacey
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-22-2005
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Bill Hilton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> : > I would say that a generic ICC profile will accomplish this.
>
> : Don't think so ... each RAW converter has a different conversion
> : "engine" and interprets the RAW data differently, so a "generic"
> : profile won't do it, you need one specific for that converter. As one
> : example, I have four RAW converters on my computer and cannot share
> : profiles between them, even though two were written by the same guy.
> : Actually IIRC some of the $30 custom profiles written by Magne Nilsen
> : for one version of Capture One must be updated for later versions of C1
> : because the program changed enough to throw the colors off a bit.
>
> I'm not sure I buy that. The ICC is a colorspace transformation.



And unless the lighting color is fixed.

Color management just doesn't work like you are thinking.

>
> Not sure if you caught the link, but there is no company. It's
> open-source
> for linux and supports ICC input and output profiles. It supports reading
> the RAW file from the camera (using sRGB by default), but I have not
> located the standardized
> profile for sensor calibration.


There may not be one avalible.


> The sRGB correction is not done by the
> camera when it shoots RAW, so it's not really a valid import colorspace...
> it just happens to be the default.
>



Like I said in another post, the guy who wrote this based it on that nikon
has a icc file in a windoze folder that he used to calibrate DCRAW to get
better colors with -his- camera. It's more of a base icc file that nikons
RAW converter references for the conversion.

Unless pentax has an icc file someone in the windoze install, that isn't
just compiled into their RAW converter, you're on your own generating a
icc profile that will do this. I went through this with my E300 trying to
avoid using windows and finally gave up. Maybe you'll have better luck,
hope it works out for ya.

--

Stacey
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to assign an ICC color profile to a scanner in OS X? isw Digital Photography 7 07-19-2007 03:20 AM
Want to profile monitor for Fuji Frontier ICC profile? Lynn Digital Photography 9 09-08-2005 12:17 PM
*istDS ICC color profile papenfussDIESPAM@juneauDOTmeDOTvt.edu Digital Photography 3 03-22-2005 06:41 AM
Color Profile, ICC, sRGB????? Josh Digital Photography 7 01-17-2005 06:22 PM
icc profile for Ilford smooth glossy paper peter Digital Photography 2 09-24-2003 08:14 PM



Advertisments