Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Organization software

Organization software

Fitpix

OK, as my image base builds and builds I need a program to help me organize
all the mess! I am looking at Extensis Portfolio, but would like some other
opinions. What do I want to do? The big thing would be cataloging and
locating my images based upon key words. Let's say I shoot Cedar Falls in
Hocking Hills. I would like to key that image w "waterfall", "Hocking
Hills", "Cedar Falls" etc etc and be able to type in a key word and have the
software bring up the matches in a thumbnail etc.

--
David Fields
Owner and photographer

Joseph Meehan

Fitpix wrote:
> OK, as my image base builds and builds I need a program to help me
> organize all the mess! I am looking at Extensis Portfolio, but would
> like some other opinions. What do I want to do? The big thing would
> be cataloging and locating my images based upon key words. Let's say
> I shoot Cedar Falls in Hocking Hills. I would like to key that image
> w "waterfall", "Hocking Hills", "Cedar Falls" etc etc and be able to
> type in a key word and have the software bring up the matches in a
> thumbnail etc.

An Ohio boy I see.

There are a lot of possibilities. The choice is really more about
personal preferences than intrinsic value.

I use Adobe's Elements 3 which has both the organizational software and
editing software. It fits my way of working and needs well.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

David Dyer-Bennet

"Fitpix" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> OK, as my image base builds and builds I need a program to help me organize
> all the mess! I am looking at Extensis Portfolio, but would like some other
> opinions. What do I want to do? The big thing would be cataloging and
> locating my images based upon key words. Let's say I shoot Cedar Falls in
> Hocking Hills. I would like to key that image w "waterfall", "Hocking
> Hills", "Cedar Falls" etc etc and be able to type in a key word and have the
> software bring up the matches in a thumbnail etc.

That's one of the big names, the other is Thumbs Plus from Cerious
Software. I haven't used Extensis, so I can't compare them. Thumbs
Plus is good with its database and keywords, and lets you save and
repeat common queries, or lets you manually assign photos to
"galleries", virtual collections of photos.

Lourens Smak

In article <buD%d.2134$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Fitpix" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> OK, as my image base builds and builds I need a program to help me organize
> all the mess! I am looking at Extensis Portfolio, but would like some other
> opinions. What do I want to do? The big thing would be cataloging and
> locating my images based upon key words. Let's say I shoot Cedar Falls in
> Hocking Hills. I would like to key that image w "waterfall", "Hocking
> Hills", "Cedar Falls" etc etc and be able to type in a key word and have the
> software bring up the matches in a thumbnail etc.

If Portfolio fits your workflow, it's a very nice program in my opinion.
I have used it since it was called Aldus Fetch.

I have 2 databases with different workflow; one is just a CD-catalog of
"everything"; keywording is very limited and is done using folder names.
For example I have a folder "client A" with a folder "project B" in it,
with the images in that folder. These terms automatically become
keywords. usually searching for "client A" and sorting by date will let
me find anything quickly.

The other one (stock, files reside on harddrives) is keyworded entirely
in Photoshop, while preparing/retouching the individual files. Portfolio
automatically reads all the embedded data. This database has a massive
amount of keywords and has big-previews enabled.

Both these -together- cover my needs very well; I can find anything
ultrafast in my keyworded stock-image database, and I can find stuff in
my CD-archive quickly enough.

Download the demo and play with it for a while, see if you like it.
There are a few similar programs, like Canto Cumulus and Fotostation.
(personally I think fotostation is really bad, but I know a few people
who swear by it... you'll have to judge for yourself.) In general
software that needs you to adapt to it is a waste of time; you should be
able to find software that can be adapted -easily- to how YOU work.
Portfolio is highly customizable but still you may prefer something else.

PS: I also use iPhoto, just for the family-snaps.

Lourens

be_pissed

Fitpix wrote:
> OK, as my image base builds and builds I need a program to help me organize
> all the mess! I am looking at Extensis Portfolio, but would like some other
> opinions. What do I want to do? The big thing would be cataloging and
> locating my images based upon key words. Let's say I shoot Cedar Falls in
> Hocking Hills. I would like to key that image w "waterfall", "Hocking
> Hills", "Cedar Falls" etc etc and be able to type in a key word and have the
> software bring up the matches in a thumbnail etc.

I was recommended to try IMatch. About 4 days after trying it I knew it
was what I wanted so bought it. I probably still only use about 2-5% of
the features it has.
It might not be what you're after as but is definitely worth looking at.
I'm an amateur with over 36000 images cataloged. One day I will sift
through them and keyword and sort them.

Check out : http://www.photools.com

goodokally@yahoo.com

Hi,

Anyphoto Manager may help you. It is a professional photo management
software which can help you acquire, organize, browse, edit or
optimize and share your digital photos. A trial is available is from
http://www.any-photo-album-software.com

Jan Nademlejnsky

I found that the free Picasa from Google is excellent.
http://www.picasa.com/index.php?tid=Y2NpZD0zNzY3
The only one think which I do not like is the saving files. It always
creates new files and you cannot overwrite the original image. There is a
work around, which is unnecessary pain. It duplicates film processing. You
have negative and create images from it. The negative always stays the same.
To me this is silly idea in this digital age. If I want to keep the original
image then I would normally use Save As and save it under different name.
There is no such option. This program has excellent features to enhance the
images, catalog, labels and is extremely easy to use.

There is another silliness:
The new names have this format:
Original my format: 0503210001.jpg
Picasa" 05032100011.jpg, then 050321000111.jpg. and so on

The final sort becomes:
0503210001.jpg
0503210002.jpg
0503210003.jpg
..
..
..
0503210051.jpg
0503210052.jpg
05032100011.jpg this is variation of the 1st image
05032100021.jpg this is variation of the 2nd image
050321000111.jpg this is 2nd variation of the 1st image

The bottom line is that the images are not sorted in relation to the
original, but it creates several clusters of the post-processed images.

It is very close to which I always wanted: simplicity for the most common
tasks and cataloging of the same image into different categories: You select
thumbnails, right click and select (or create) label "Mother", apply, select
"Father", apply, add another picture/ select "daughter", apply....

Jan

"Fitpix" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:buD%d.2134$(E-Mail Removed)...
> OK, as my image base builds and builds I need a program to help me
> organize all the mess! I am looking at Extensis Portfolio, but would like
> some other opinions. What do I want to do? The big thing would be
> cataloging and locating my images based upon key words. Let's say I shoot
> Cedar Falls in Hocking Hills. I would like to key that image w
> "waterfall", "Hocking Hills", "Cedar Falls" etc etc and be able to type in
> a key word and have the software bring up the matches in a thumbnail etc.
>
> --
> David Fields
> Owner and photographer
> FieldsArt Studios
> www.delawarestudio.com

adm

"Jan Nademlejnsky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>I found that the free Picasa from Google is excellent.
>http://www.picasa.com/index.php?tid=Y2NpZD0zNzY3
> The only one think which I do not like is the saving files. It always
> creates new files and you cannot overwrite the original image. There is a
> work around, which is unnecessary pain. It duplicates film processing. You
> have negative and create images from it. The negative always stays the
> same. To me this is silly idea in this digital age. If I want to keep the
> original image then I would normally use Save As and save it under
> different name. There is no such option. This program has excellent
> features to enhance the images, catalog, labels and is extremely easy to
> use.

Ah - now for me, that's EXACTLY what I want. Especially as Picasa now
supports RAW files.

I want to keep the exactl original as a digital negative, and then if I just
want to make quick prints, I make adjustments in Picasa and export to .jpg
files for the lab. If I want to make significant changes to the original, I
open it in Photoshop, then save the result using "save as" either as a TIFF
or jpg.

> It is very close to which I always wanted: simplicity for the most common
> tasks and cataloging of the same image into different categories: You
> select thumbnails, right click and select (or create) label "Mother",
> apply, select "Father", apply, add another picture/ select "daughter",
> apply....

I love it - as a browser, cataloguer, emailer etc.... It's also good for
quick simple fixes. Of course, it is not a decent image editor by any
stretch of the imagination, but then that's why I have Photoshop.

Fitpix

"be_****ed" <be_****(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:G%H%d.1304$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Fitpix wrote:
>> OK, as my image base builds and builds I need a program to help me
>> organize all the mess! I am looking at Extensis Portfolio, but would like
>> some other opinions. What do I want to do? The big thing would be
>> cataloging and locating my images based upon key words. Let's say I shoot
>> Cedar Falls in Hocking Hills. I would like to key that image w
>> "waterfall", "Hocking Hills", "Cedar Falls" etc etc and be able to type
>> in a key word and have the software bring up the matches in a thumbnail
>> etc.

> I was recommended to try IMatch. About 4 days after trying it I knew it
> was what I wanted so bought it. I probably still only use about 2-5% of
> the features it has.
> It might not be what you're after as but is definitely worth looking at.
> I'm an amateur with over 36000 images cataloged. One day I will sift
> through them and keyword and sort them.
>
> Check out : http://www.photools.com

Actually after I posted this yesterday I kept my search going and came
across IMatch and downloaded the evaluation. I am getting my images organzed
today and will let you know what I think!

be_pissed

Good luck .. IMatch is pretty intense, but I liked the features, and
it's what I wanted... mainly, offline media thumbnails (CD's, DVD's etc)
and the ability to add keyword info, pop them into catagories, search
for images of similar type, size, duplicates or apearence ... and of
course the ability to grow.
Slightly technical I suppose but the help info supplied is very in depth
if needed.