Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Digital Photography Courses

Digital Photography Courses

Gary Johnson

Hi

I live in SW London, UK and am looking for a digital photography
course. I would call myself just-above beginner and would like to
learn how to get the most out of my EOS 300D.

Does anyone know of any courses running that would be suitable?

Cheers

erics

"Gary Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi
>
> I live in SW London, UK and am looking for a digital photography
> course. I would call myself just-above beginner and would like to
> learn how to get the most out of my EOS 300D.
>
> Does anyone know of any courses running that would be suitable?
>
> Cheers

I am also looking at a course, but one that is an evening class type thing
so I can fit it around work.

I have found a distance learning course that is run reasonably locally, but
that does not start until the start of the new academic year. If that sort
of thing is of interest I'll dig out the details when I get home.

Fitpix

"Gary Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi
>
> I live in SW London, UK and am looking for a digital photography
> course. I would call myself just-above beginner and would like to
> learn how to get the most out of my EOS 300D.
>
> Does anyone know of any courses running that would be suitable?
>
> Cheers

Hey Gary,
May I suggest also looking for a basic photography course? Even though the
300D is digital, it behaves and follows the same rules as a film camera.
Yes, there will be subtle differences in how a film pic may look compared to
a digital shot, but a nice sunny field is 1/125th @ f16 on ISO film AND ISO
digi. I would concentrate on learning photography first. Digitally
manipulationg a good photo will yield more pleasing results than trying to
pass off a bad photo as art by digitally adding random effects.

I am a huge believer in John Shaw's nature photography books. He taught me
everything I know (minus studio lighting). www.johnshawphoto.com

be safe
David
www.delawarestudio.com
www.pbase.com/fitpix

Fitpix

> a digital shot, but a nice sunny field is 1/125th @ f16 on ISO film AND
> ISO
> digi.

Should have read ISO 100 film and digi...sorry!

Arthur Small

Here is a start for you. http://h30015.www3.hp.com/hp_dpc/learn/learn.asp

Good luck.

Jim

"Gary Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi
>
> I live in SW London, UK and am looking for a digital photography
> course. I would call myself just-above beginner and would like to
> learn how to get the most out of my EOS 300D.

Any beginning photography course would be applicable because new technology
is no substitute for good technique. It is good technique that you need to
learn.
Jim

Piemanlager

"Gary Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi
>
> I live in SW London, UK and am looking for a digital photography
> course. I would call myself just-above beginner and would like to
> learn how to get the most out of my EOS 300D.
>
> Does anyone know of any courses running that would be suitable?

No, sorry!

However, you may find something of use at a local camera club? Yes, some of
the members will seem like arseholes (been there, met them!) and have no
interest in you, but some may be helpful, worth a try.
Other than that, as taking photographs and instantly viewing the results is
costing you nothing, there is no real substitute for practice. Some of the
photography magazines have very good learner articles (try Digital Photo in
the UK.)
You don't state what type of photography you wish to try but there are
plenty of subjects near you to practice on in the home or probably just
outside your door, depending on what your goals are?

> Cheers

Stewy

In article <423f03dd$0$2772$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"erics" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Gary Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Hi
> >
> > I live in SW London, UK and am looking for a digital photography
> > course. I would call myself just-above beginner and would like to
> > learn how to get the most out of my EOS 300D.
> >
> > Does anyone know of any courses running that would be suitable?
> >
> > Cheers

> I am also looking at a course, but one that is an evening class type thing
> so I can fit it around work.
>
> I have found a distance learning course that is run reasonably locally, but
> that does not start until the start of the new academic year. If that sort
> of thing is of interest I'll dig out the details when I get home.

Have you tried subscribing to some of the excellent Photo magazines
available in the UK? Many have readers who send their photos in for
appraisal/criticism. They also give advice in improving pictures via
Photoshop and PSP. Try the Adobe Focus guides and Digital Photo.

I joined a photography evening class years ago simply to get access to
expensive equipment/darkrooms etc, however these days with photo
manipulation available to all at home it seems of limited appeal.