Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > *istDS ICC color profile

*istDS ICC color profile

papenfussDIESPAM@juneauDOTmeDOTvt.edu

Anyone have one? I'd like to accurately convert RAW images taken with the
*ist-DS, but haven't been able to locate a color profile for it.

Thanks!
-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Bill Hilton

> Cory Papenfuss writes ...
>
> Anyone have one?

Typically you don't use an ICC profile with a digital camera. The
profile basically tells the ICM engine how to translate the RGB numbers
in the file to get the most accurate colors. The problem with a
digital camera is that you have different colors for different lighting
conditions, so basically an ICC profile is worthless unless the light
intensity and color is identical for each shot. The only time it makes
sense to generate one is if you're shooting in a studio situtation with
lights, typically someone doing color critical work like product or
fashion or catalog type shoots. For general use in varying light the
profile is useless.

>I'd like to accurately convert RAW images taken with the
>*ist-DS, but haven't been able to locate a color profile for it.

What you actually need is an accurate tone curve for this camera and
the RAW converter you're using, which is typically supplied by the RAW
converter company.

Bill

Bill Hilton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: Typically you don't use an ICC profile with a digital camera. The
: profile basically tells the ICM engine how to translate the RGB numbers
: in the file to get the most accurate colors. The problem with a
: digital camera is that you have different colors for different lighting
: conditions, so basically an ICC profile is worthless unless the light
: intensity and color is identical for each shot. The only time it makes
: sense to generate one is if you're shooting in a studio situtation with
: lights, typically someone doing color critical work like product or
: fashion or catalog type shoots. For general use in varying light the
: profile is useless.

OK, but I still think it's a symantic argument. I'll agree that you'd really
want a profile that matches a specific device and lighting but...

: What you actually need is an accurate tone curve for this camera and
: the RAW converter you're using, which is typically supplied by the RAW
: converter company.

I would say that a generic ICC profile will accomplish this. It's just
another colorspace transformation that can be interpretted as "an accurate tone curve
for this camera." The RAW converter "company" I'm emplyoying is:
http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/Colors.html

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Stacey

> Bill Hilton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> For general use in varying light the
> : profile is useless.
>
> OK, but I still think it's a symantic argument. I'll agree that you'd
> really want a profile that matches a specific device and lighting but...

He is right, unless you're shooting in fixed lighting conditions, normally a
color profile is useless.

> The RAW converter "company" I'm emplyoying is:
> http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/Colors.html

Good luck and I seriously mean it. I worked with this for a while but is was
just too much of a fight. I do agree that with this raw converter you need
something that can relate the specific RAW data from your camera into a
specific color space, that's what the supplied and most 3rd party RAW
converters do when choosing a color space. All I got from this converter
with my olympus E300 was odd colors that couldn't be adjusted in post to
look anything close to normal. I think the guy who wrote this shoots with a
nikon and with their profile it works OK. I'm not sure the other makers
publish a icc profile outside of the one imbeded in their RAW converter,
might be worth doing a search on your windoze machine for one?

Right now linux is way behind in color managment, shame as I use linux for
everything except digital imaging and video work.

--

Stacey