Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Best Prices On Digital Cameras

Best Prices On Digital Cameras

Oliver Costich

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 17:54:04 -0700, "Larry R Harrison Jr"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If you want a specific example, the Nikon Coolpix 5400 is a great one. It
>sells for right at $500 but Nikon is doing a $200 rebate on it, which knocks
>it down to the $250-300 area. This is a VERY high-grade type of camera, 5
>megapixels, has all the manual controls of a "photographer's" camera yet
>still has a full-auto dummy mode. It sold for $400 on eBay used just months
>ago, sold for $700 when it was new in late 2003. It's a high-grade camera.
>
>The only drawback to it is that it has trouble focusing in low-light, so if
>it will be used a lot indoors in dim lighting, I don't recommend it in that
>case.

I second the Nikon 5400. I bought one in January from Butterfly
photo.com (see Pricegrabber.com) for $440 to my door and just got the
$200 check from Nikon. At under $250 this camera is a steal.

>Another option--you'd only find it used on eBay most likely--is the Sony
>DSC-V1. It's a very similar type of camera, but has a holographic laser for
>autofocusing, focuses great even in low-light.
>
>Beyond those two, there are other possibilities, some of them newer cameras.
>I'd try
>
>*Canon Powershot A95
>* Sony DSC-W1
>* Sony DSC-P150 (now the P200)
>
>Good sites are http://www.dpreview.com and http://www.dcresource.com
>
>LRH

bob

measekite wrote:

> How do you re-calculate for cropping?

Good software will do the calculations for you.

Bob

Carol Elder

Hi:

I just bought the Canon Powershot A95 for $269.00(including shipping) (I
had a Kodak DX3600). I like the A95 because it had a lot of manual
control and I could use AA batteries which I buy in bulk at Costco it is
also a 5megapixel camera. I also got a memory card at Costco as well.
I bought the camera on line at Amazon - signed up for their credit card
which allowed me to save another $30.00.

my 2 cents
carol

Oliver Costich wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 17:54:04 -0700, "Larry R Harrison Jr"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>If you want a specific example, the Nikon Coolpix 5400 is a great one. It
>>sells for right at $500 but Nikon is doing a $200 rebate on it, which knocks
>>it down to the $250-300 area. This is a VERY high-grade type of camera, 5
>>megapixels, has all the manual controls of a "photographer's" camera yet
>>still has a full-auto dummy mode. It sold for $400 on eBay used just months
>>ago, sold for $700 when it was new in late 2003. It's a high-grade camera.
>>
>>The only drawback to it is that it has trouble focusing in low-light, so if
>>it will be used a lot indoors in dim lighting, I don't recommend it in that
>>case.

> I second the Nikon 5400. I bought one in January from Butterfly
> photo.com (see Pricegrabber.com) for $440 to my door and just got the
> $200 check from Nikon. At under $250 this camera is a steal.
>

>>Another option--you'd only find it used on eBay most likely--is the Sony
>>DSC-V1. It's a very similar type of camera, but has a holographic laser for
>>autofocusing, focuses great even in low-light.
>>
>>Beyond those two, there are other possibilities, some of them newer cameras.
>>I'd try
>>
>>*Canon Powershot A95
>>* Sony DSC-W1
>>* Sony DSC-P150 (now the P200)
>>
>>Good sites are http://www.dpreview.com and http://www.dcresource.com
>>
>>LRH

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

>>1. If you want enlargements, consider that anything under 200dpi
>> won't look very good, so plan to buy a camera that has enough
>> pixels for the size enlargement you want. For example, to get a
>> decent 8x10, you'll need 1600x2000, or about 3Mpix. To get a
>> decent 11x14, you'll need 2200x2800, or about 6Mpix.
>>

>How do you re-calculate for cropping?

I'm not sure what you mean? Do you mean the cropping factro of the
camera? That's already been taken into account. Do you mean what
happens if you want to crop the picture, for example, to enlarge only
part of it? You have to make sure that the part you're going to
enlarge have enough pixels to make for a good enlargement. For
example, if you have a 6MPix camera, but you zoom in a bit, you end up
with only 3Mpix, still enough for an 8x10.

-Joel